[comp.sys.atari.st] Question: send mail from Internet to UUCP

stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) (10/18/90)

Hello Networkers,
  How can I send a mail message from an Internet node to a user with an UUCP mail address?  Help!!!
  I want to send a mail message to "Darek@microsoft.UUCP".  What should I type in the "To:" prompt?
Thanks in advance.

-Steve

 SteveLa@csulb.edu

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.215404.16301@beach.csulb.edu>, stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) writes:
> Hello Networkers,
>   How can I send a mail message from an Internet node to a user with an UUCP mail address?  Help!!!
>   I want to send a mail message to "Darek@microsoft.UUCP".  What should I type in the "To:" prompt?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -Steve
>
>  SteveLa@csulb.edu

DId you try sending to Darek@microsoft.UUCP  ?  I had to send stuff to a user
the other day with a UUCP address and it worked fine.  But the mail bounced
when I replied to a message THEY sent...My mailer would not follow the path.
It seems (at least on my Unix server) that when mail come FROM a UUCP address,
it is expanded, and I have to send it back to "user@somewhere.UUCP".

I don't know if this works for all mailers, but at least on the one I use I
just send it to "user@somewhere.UUCP" and it works.

In article <1990Oct17.215404.16301@beach.csulb.edu> stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) writes:
>Hello Networkers,
>  How can I send a mail message from an Internet node to a user with an UUCP mail address?  Help!!!
>  I want to send a mail message to "Darek@microsoft.UUCP".  What should I type in the "To:" prompt?
>Thanks in advance.

In another reply someone mentioned that sending "user@host.uucp" always works
fine for him. What works and what doesn't depends on your site's mail
configuration. That usually depends on the competence and conscientiousness
of your site admin. For the more brain-dead systems that are on the Internet,
you can almost always get mail thru to a UUCP site by sending it to uunet.
So for example, rewrite "darek@microsoft.uucp" as
	darek%microsoft.uucp@uunet.uu.net
that will take care of 98% of the cases.

The other poster also mentioned not being able to directly reply to mail that
originated from a UUCP site. You can usually take paths of the form
	host-c!host-b!host-a!user
and again send 'em thru uunet:
	user%host-a%host-b%host-c.uucp@uunet.uu.net

Sorry for the non-ST related posting, but it seemed worth mentioning. (Ok, take
off the net admin hat, put the ST hacker hat back on. Much better...  }-)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip