[comp.sys.atari.st] .gif viewer ?

Frank.Moehle@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank Moehle) (10/16/90)

Hi everybody.

I have the following problem:
on my unix account, i have some pictures in ".gif" format.
(no, not only from alt.sex.pictures). I can copy then to disk and take them
home, but i cannot display them, so what i need is an utility to view
gif pictures.

Has anybody ported "showgif" or some similar utility to to ST yet ?

If so, would you please send me a copy of the .prg and/or source ?

Thanks in advance,
 The Lateman
Nick       : Lateman                                  | I may be late,
Real       : Frank Moehle, Oldenburg, West Germany    | but I'm worth
Inhouse    : faramir!moesel                           | waiting for.
UUCP       : moehle@uniol                             +---------------------
DOMAIN     : Frank.Moehle@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
EARN/BITNET: 025881@DOLUNI1
------------------------------>Fascinating.<--------------------------------
			    Cu + Al -> Au + Cl

remy@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Remy Wetzels) (10/18/90)

you can find 2 gifviewers and 1 gifviewer/converter at sol.cs.ruu.nl
they are called giffer(mono only, has a nice ditter algorithm), gifshow
(mono only, not very good, but it can even show lush.gif(650Kb)!), and
finally you got bgif(the nicest IMHO, converts .gif to standard 320x200
16 colours Degas Format and shows it while converting)

>Has anybody ported "showgif" or some similar utility to to ST yet ?

no, but I hope there's one humble person who ports 'cshow'.... ;-)

> The Lateman

CXS128@psuvm.psu.edu (10/18/90)

  Of course while on the subject of gif viewers let us not forget our
ability to convert them to spectrum pictures (with gifspc or bgif).
                                                John T.

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (10/19/90)

In article <3627@uniol.UUCP>, Frank.Moehle@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
(Frank Moehle) says:

>Hi everybody.
>
>I have the following problem:
>on my unix account, i have some pictures in ".gif" format.
>(no, not only from alt.sex.pictures). I can copy then to disk and take them
>home, but i cannot display them, so what i need is an utility to view
>gif pictures.
>
>Has anybody ported "showgif" or some similar utility to to ST yet ?
>
>If so, would you please send me a copy of the .prg and/or source ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
> The Lateman
>--
>                            Cu + Al -> Au + Cl

Me too, please !

Olaf

rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) (10/20/90)

In article <27@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl> remy@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Remy Wetzels) writes:

|finally you got bgif(the nicest IMHO, converts .gif to standard 320x200
|16 colours Degas Format and shows it while converting)

Bgif also converts to Spectrum pictures.  The result is usually inferior
color-wise to the Gif-Spectrum conversions done by Gifspec, which is
also PD.  Unfortunately, Gifspec only runs in low rez and often does not
scale as large as Bgif.  A third converter is the commercial product
Digispec.  It produces the highest-quality results, offers the ability
to adjust color, lightness, and contrast, and generates the smallest
files.  Unfortunately, it also often chops off edges on unusual-sized
gifs, and seriously distorts very un-square ones.

--
 RICHARD LEE     rlee@ads.com  or  ...!{sri-spam | ames}!zodiac!rlee
 415-960-7300    ADS, 1500 Plymouth St., Mtn. View CA 94043-1230

markp@janus.Quotron.com (Mark T. Price (sg)) (10/20/90)

In article <27@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl>, remy@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Remy Wetzels) writes:
> >Frank.Moehle@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Frank Moehle) writes:
>
> >on my unix account, i have some pictures in ".gif" format.
> >so what i need is an utility to view gif pictures
>

> [ Remy suggests giffer (mono), and bgif (color) ]

Yet to be mentioned is the .GIF file viewer/converter present in DigiSpec
from Trio Engineering.  Although DigiSpec's main purpose is to make Spectrum
pictures with Color Computer Eyes, it also works very well with .GIF files
(In fact, that's all I use it for).  DigiSpec won't let you squash the picture
like you can with bgif, but it does automatically scale it to fit the screen.
It also lets you adjust the color balance, brightness and contrast.  The
pictures it produces are of very good quality and it even works with pictures
the size of lush.gif.  Outputs to spectrum format only (SPU or SPC).

---
Mark T. Price (sg)           markp@janus.quotron.COM
			     ...{hacgate,scgvaxd,uunet}!janus!markp

"He who laughs last is sucking up to the boss"