[comp.sys.atari.st] Discovery cartridge..

chuck@UMBC1.UMBC.EDU ("Chuck Rickard; ", PC) (07/06/89)

I was thinking about buying one of those Discovery Cartridges, and I wanted
to see if anyone on the net had any experience with them.  My main interest
is in MAC disk conversions and the use of High Density 3.5 and 5.25 disk
drives.  Anyone have any comments?

                               Chuck Rickard
                               UMBC Academic Computing
                               CHUCK@UMBC

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (07/07/89)

In article <8907061355.AA15938@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> chuck@UMBC1.UMBC.EDU ("Chuck Rickard; ", PC) writes:

>I was thinking about buying one of those Discovery Cartridges, and I wanted
>to see if anyone on the net had any experience with them.  My main interest
>is in MAC disk conversions and the use of High Density 3.5 and 5.25 disk
>drives.  Anyone have any comments?

I have used the Discovery Cartridge to convert Mac disks and to backup
protected software.  It does both jobs well albeit a bit slowly.

Mac conversions take about 5-6 minutes per disk and the Discovery Cartridge
seems rather fincky about which drives and/or computer it works on.  My
GTS-100 will not work, nor will a friend's 1040STf but another friend's
1040STf works just fine.  Also, the disk conversion is whole disk only, you
can not access individual files on the disk so if you just want one small
file on a Mac disk, you'll have to convert the whole disk nonetheless.

As for the disk backup portion, it works quite well but again, as with the
Mac conversions, it is rather slow.  About 2 to 3 times slower than normal
bit copiers, I estimate.  Even the normal sector copier is a little brain
damaged in that it reads in side 1 first and then side 2.  But the
bottomline is that it has successfully backed up things that give other bit
copiers fits (Dungeon Master, Gauntlet II, etc.)

--
       Henry Kwan - "Bill & Opus '92"     |  What The ST Needs:
     claris!wet!logic@ames.arc.nasa.gov   |  A) 50 Mhz 68030/68882

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (07/08/89)

If your interest is solely in using MAC disks, then I'd go with Spectre GCR
which is due out in the next four weeks (Aug. 1)  Discovery will do the
disk conversions - but they do take a while.  Spectre GCR on the other hand
will allow you to pop a straight MAC disk into the ST disk drive and do
reads and writes at MAC speed or better!  If you are also interested in a
disk copier and using 5.25 format disks, then Discovery is your ticket.
Its not the nicest device around in terms of user friendliness and the sofnewes

protected disks.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

AKISUJAR@NUSVM.BITNET ("S.Sujarittanonta") (02/12/90)

Hello,
I own a Discovery cartridge with software Version 2.7. I have sent my Registra-
tion Card asking for upgrading the software to the newer version which will
enable me to transfer Mac disk to Spectre format file by file rather than the
whole disk since july 1989 but never receive any reply from Happy Computers.

Any one know what happen to this company? I FAX them 2 days ago but got the
voice reply that their FAX number is no longer in service. Now I'm stuck with
the obsoleted V2.7.

Any help or suggestion would be deeply appreciated.
                                           S. Sujarittanonta AKISUJAR@NUSVM
                                           School of Architecture
                                           National University of Singapore

jkr@ifi.uio.no (Kristian Rosenvold) (10/24/90)

Does anyone know if there exists versions of the discovery cartridge
software newer than 2.6a ?

K. Rosenvold,   jkr@ifi.uio.no / ...!{uunet,mcvax,sunic}!ifi.uio.no!jkr
Short signatures R cute.