[comp.sys.atari.st] Gulam and GNU

pbh@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Patrick B. Haggood) (10/23/90)

Trying to use Gulam with GNU-C 1.37, GNU seems to want to
have files using the forward slash rather than the
backword slash.  therefore, I get

ccp file.c  d:\tmp/c0000000.0a

and gnu stops unable to open (find, etc) this temp file.  How do I tell
Gulam to use forward slashes?

On a related note, I posted a note looking for someone who could send me
their profile for MT-C shell.  Can't find much help in the docs, trying
to use GNU-C with it has no results, i.e  "gcc hello.c" is ignored,
no error message or indication that gcc was attempted to run is displayed.
What am I doing wrong?

--
Patrick B. Haggood
Wayne STate University

roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar &) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.151919.9568@cs.wayne.edu> pbh@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Patrick B. Haggood) writes:

> Trying to use Gulam with GNU-C 1.37, GNU seems to want to
> have files using the forward slash rather than the
> backword slash.  therefore, I get
>
> ccp file.c  d:\tmp/c0000000.0a

The first thing, you can do is to setenv TMPDIR d:/tmp (or was it
TEMP, or TEMPDIR ? - look in the docs or with `strings' in gcc). If
you use a newer version of gcc with support for UNIXMODE, you probably
forgot to 'setenv UNIXMODE .,/LAH' (settings are explained in
UNIXMODE.doc which can be found in Jwahar Bammi's gcclib or on
cs.uni-sb.de).

> and gnu stops unable to open (find, etc) this temp file.  How do I tell
> Gulam to use forward slashes?

You can gulam tell to use forward-slashes, but your problem has
nothing to do with gulam being your shell. The TSR unx2dos.prg in
directory /pub/atari/tools (you guessed it: on cs.uni-sb.de)
implements mapping of / to \ in any GEMDOS-call related to filenames.
There are also other shells that can use slashes instead of
backslashes (BASH can use them in internal commands, Master provides
them to other programs as well).

Hope this helps!

	- Edgar

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.151919.9568@cs.wayne.edu>, pbh@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Patrick B. Haggood) writes:
> Trying to use Gulam with GNU-C 1.37, GNU seems to want to
> have files using the forward slash rather than the
> backword slash.  therefore, I get
>
> ccp file.c  d:\tmp/c0000000.0a
>
> and gnu stops unable to open (find, etc) this temp file.  How do I tell
> Gulam to use forward slashes?

Depends on what you mean. You can just do "setenv TEMP d:/tmp" instead of
"setenv TEMP d:\tmp". Otherwise, Gulam really doesn't know much about
forward slashes. However, what Gulam knows/doesn't know about slashes should
have no bearing on what gcc knows/doesn't know. Moreover, the "usual"
version of gcc 1.37 can handle both kinds of slashes, even when mixed in
the same filename. Do you have the TEMP environment variable set up correctly?
My guess is that it's pointing to a non-existant directory.

> On a related note, I posted a note looking for someone who could send me
> their profile for MT-C shell.  Can't find much help in the docs, trying
> to use GNU-C with it has no results, i.e  "gcc hello.c" is ignored,
> no error message or indication that gcc was attempted to run is displayed.
> What am I doing wrong?

You're trying to use gcc and MT-C shell at the same time. They're not
compatible. Someone posted some patches to the gcc programs recently that
purport to make them work under RTX (and hence under the MT-C shell); I
don't know whether or not they work.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca