[comp.sys.atari.st] TEX3.0 for ST??

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (06/06/90)

 Has the TeX 3.0 stuff been ported to ST yet??  And does it run
 ina 1 Meg ST?? I tried the un*x C -source, but all it says is
 'not enough memory', and the text comes from Gul\"am, not from
 virTeX.

--
Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
                  I am logged in, therefore I am

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.051803.16242@tukki.jyu.fi> suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) writes:

> Has the TeX 3.0 stuff been ported to ST yet??  And does it run
> ina 1 Meg ST?? I tried the un*x C -source, but all it says is
> 'not enough memory', and the text comes from Gul\"am, not from
> virTeX.

I am not sure, but I think TeX requires more than 1 meg to run.  I
have only tried the old version so I am not sure about 3.0.  The old
one seemed happy on my 1040ST with 2.5megs RAM.  Also, it is a
real bear to use without a hard drive.

Hope this helps...

>--
>Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
>                  I am logged in, therefore I am
Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Donde hay una cerveza
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |hay un plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |El Guerrero Aereo es el rey!
------------------------------+---------------------------

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.174657.22376@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>I am not sure, but I think TeX requires more than 1 meg to run.  I
>have only tried the old version so I am not sure about 3.0.  The old
>one seemed happy on my 1040ST with 2.5megs RAM.  Also, it is a
>real bear to use without a hard drive.

The older TeX versions didn't require more than 1 meg, but they were
so large that you couldn't run gulam and TeX at the same time. That's
why I wrote TeXShell -- it's a graphical shell for running TeX which
is small enough to allow you to TeX on a 1 meg machine.

Of course, TeX's memory requirements depend on how big you make all
the internal data structures. It may be that TeX version 3.0 has
increased the size of these, so it won't run in 1 meg at all. However,
you should be able to get it to run inside of 1 meg by making the
capacity of various things smaller.

--
"Perhaps I'm commenting a bit cynically, but I think I'm qualified to."
                                              - Dan Bernstein

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.204129.14909@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:

>The older TeX versions didn't require more than 1 meg, but they were
>so large that you couldn't run gulam and TeX at the same time.

I have ST-TeX from Tools GmbH. It is small enough to allow me to
run it with gulam. It's font capacity is too small, however

>Of course, TeX's memory requirements depend on how big you make all
>the internal data structures. It may be that TeX version 3.0 has
>increased the size of these, so it won't run in 1 meg at all.

You are right, the memory requirements has grown a lot... I'll try to
make TeX 3.0 to say:
   This is TeX, C Version 3.0 for ST
in a 1 meg. If it won't, then I'll have to think 'bout buying a TT..

--
Timo Suhonen      I am logged in, therefore I am               suhonen@jyu.fi
                                                       suhonen@funic.funet.fi

darius@isa.uucp (Darius S. Naqvi) (06/10/90)

In article <1990Jun6.051803.16242@tukki.jyu.fi> suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) writes:

> Has the TeX 3.0 stuff been ported to ST yet??  And does it run
> ina 1 Meg ST?? I tried the un*x C -source, but all it says is
> 'not enough memory', and the text comes from Gul\"am, not from
> virTeX.
>
>--
>Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
>                  I am logged in, therefore I am

Did you run out of memory when you compiled it, or when you tried to
run it? If it was a run-time error, then you might only need to change
a #DEFINE, or else re-boot without DA's. When I run CommonTeX 2.9, I
boot with only the control panel and fldr100.prg, and it runs fine. If
I have other autoboots or desk accessories, I get the 'not enough
memory' message.
--
Darius S. Naqvi                    uucp: darius%isagate@uunet.uu.net
ISA Corp.                                darius@isagate.isac.UUCP

darius@isa.uucp (Darius S. Naqvi) (06/10/90)

In article <1990Jun6.204129.14909@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>In article <1990Jun6.174657.22376@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>
>>I am not sure, but I think TeX requires more than 1 meg to run.  I
>>have only tried the old version so I am not sure about 3.0.  The old
>>one seemed happy on my 1040ST with 2.5megs RAM.  Also, it is a
>>real bear to use without a hard drive.
>
>The older TeX versions didn't require more than 1 meg, but they were
>so large that you couldn't run gulam and TeX at the same time. That's
>why I wrote TeXShell -- it's a graphical shell for running TeX which
>is small enough to allow you to TeX on a 1 meg machine.

The older version of TeX that I have (which calls itself CommonTeX
2.9) runs just fine on my 1meg 1040st, even *with* gulam.

--

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun10.152941.11742@isa.uucp> darius@isagate.nexus.ca (Darius S. Naqvi) writes:

>Did you run out of memory when you compiled it, or when you tried to
>run it? If it was a run-time error, then you might only need to change
>a #DEFINE, or else re-boot without DA's. When I run CommonTeX 2.9, I
>boot with only the control panel and fldr100.prg, and it runs fine. If
>I have other autoboots or desk accessories, I get the 'not enough
>memory' message.

I don't have any DA's!! And the copile goes just fine (I think, only some
warnings about redefinitios-- could be avoided by adding some #ifdef's).
As a compiler I use Sozobon C (1.1 I guess). Only programs I have in
\AUTO folder are fldr100.prg and clock-program. They take some 15 K RAM
together. I surely is a run-time error.... I tried to minimize all vetors
and arrays, but did'n get any success. I have to enlarge the stack size
and try if it works then....

Timo

--
Timo Suhonen         I am logged in, therefore I am             suhonen@jyu.fi
                                                        suhonen@funic.funet.fi
     Moderator for ftp site funic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100) Atari ST dir

jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) (10/19/90)

I remember reading a post about a month ago describing a new port of
TeX 3.0 to the ST that was done with Turbo C or with Lattice C (I don't
remember which) and was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread
for those of us who use LaTeX!!

Is someone in a position to make this available to the U.S. FTP users?
I REALLY would like to get my hands on this!!  As I remember the original
post/announcement mentioned several disks worth of stuff.  I know there are
quite a few ST users of LaTeX here in the States (and Canada) that are probably
watering at the mouth to get this new, faster (Oh please, let it be faster!!)
version.

|    Capt Jeff Long                                 longj@lonex.radc.af.mil   |
|    Rome Air Development Center                    (315) 330-7751            |
|    Communications Networking Branch               (DSN) 587-7751            |

nspit@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) (10/21/90)

In <jlong.656338209@cassiopeia> jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) writes:

>I remember reading a post about a month ago describing a new port of
>TeX 3.0 to the ST that was done with Turbo C or with Lattice C (I don't
>remember which) and was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread
>for those of us who use LaTeX!!

>Is someone in a position to make this available to the U.S. FTP users?
>I REALLY would like to get my hands on this!!  As I remember the original
>post/announcement mentioned several disks worth of stuff.  I know there are
>quite a few ST users of LaTeX here in the States (and Canada) that are probably
>watering at the mouth to get this new, faster (Oh please, let it be faster!!)
>version.

Not only in the States, also in Europe

Werenfried Spit
   R.J. v.d. Graafflaboratorium            +31-(0)30-53-2330
   Postbus 80.000
   3508 TA  Utrecht                        nspit@fys.ruu.nl
   The Netherlands                         spit@hutruu51.bitnet

wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) (10/23/90)

In article <jlong.656338209@cassiopeia> jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) writes:

   I remember reading a post about a month ago describing a new port of
   TeX 3.0 to the ST that was done with Turbo C or with Lattice C (I don't
   remember which) and was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread
   for those of us who use LaTeX!!

   Is someone in a position to make this available to the U.S. FTP users?

I don't know if this is the same package you're talking about, but I've
read about a port of TeX 3.0 that was done by Robert Stabl at Passau
University here in Germany (he also wrote this nice showdvi and dviprint
drivers). If I remember right, it's a version which requires at least a 2Meg
machine and sources are included.
I don't have the address of Robert Stabl or the machine where his package
is available at hand. Moreover I think it's better to ask him before millions
of TeX freaks try to ftp to his host.
Perhaps you're listening, Robert? (or some other person, who feels
responsible for such a task)
If not, I will try to reach him via e-mail.

Btw. there's another port of TeX 3.0 for the ST, done by Stefan Lindner,
but I think that's a shareware one and you have to get the disks from the
author himself. Does anyone know if this is available via ftp?

Anyway, I would like to thank you guys who are making such efforts to
port TeX stuff for the ST so that we others are able to use it on our
machines. (But it seems that I have to upgrade to use all those goodies :-)

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huwig
Informatik IV
Universit\"at des Saarlandes                      internet: wolf@cs.uni-sb.de

stabl@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Robert Stabl) (10/24/90)

WH> [...] but I've
WH> read about a port of TeX 3.0 that was done by Robert Stabl at Passau
WH> University here in Germany (he also wrote this nice showdvi and dviprint
WH> drivers). If I remember right, it's a version which requires at least a 2Meg
WH> machine and sources are included.
Wolfgang is right. I've done a quick and dirty port of TeX3.0 to the ST
(I needed TeX for writing my master thesis). This version needs over 2 megs
of physical memory (I have a 4meg ST). This very first port of TeX
is available via anonymous ftp from forwiss.uni-passau.de (/archive/atari/tex),
but please note that this site is located in Europe and therefore the
connection to the US internet is *slow* and *expensive*.

But, Bernd Raichle and I plan to port the latest TeX version 3.1 within the
next two months. Please, look forward to get this version. This new version
will run with 1meg of physical memory and it will include TeX and LateX macros,
bibtex, and so on. I'll announce it here if it is available.

 Robert Stabl.