[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Wordprocessors Continued

jahromib@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Babak Jahromi) (10/20/90)

I would like to thank the many people that replied on this topic (and also
sent me email). I would like to reiterate a few points though:

1) Some of my fellow st'ers did not take well to my lack of appreciation for
gem. My response is that gem is SLOW. text scrolling is laborious (and please
don't tell me to run quick st or turbo st. Also, I
mentioned _wordprocessing_ *not* DTP. When I wish to do simple dtp, I haul out
my calamus and do a quick page. For real, complicated dtp (trust me, I
have worked at a professional typesetting company) I rent time and use
quark express on a mac ci, lino it and have the printers print 1000 or so
newsletters. BUT, this is *not* wordprocessing. For wordPROCESSING, you do
NOT want to be bothered by column placement, pixel shifts, microspacing,
kerning, leading, etc. You wish to type, ie PROCESS words QUICKLY, and a
window interface is a nuisance. Believe me, hitting some fkey to insert a
code is far easier than fiddling with the ruler (and faster). And for those
who may think that wind/icon/mou/pointer interfaces (the brave new world
and rebirth of man/comp relationships) has made text and cli's (the diehard
ignoramuses who refuse to catch up to the times) extinct, may I remind you
that any operating system worth its salt has a shell.

2) many have kindly suggested a variety of ST progams (st writer elite,
wordup, wordflair, etc.) Unfortunately, NONE come even close to the formatting
dictionary, thesaurus, sort, merge, record, page layout (all in text!)
footnote/endnote/bibiography, macro programmability, most important of all
printer support (customizable!) of  wordperfect (4.2 on). I am sorry to repeat
the name "wordperfect", but I consider it a standard with its *combination*
(note emphasis) of features that NO wordprocessor has approached.

3) other alternatives were suggested (Tex/Latex, nroff, etc.) I am honestly
inclined to vi my stuff and then run it thru troff before I touch something
windows based, and these suggestions are quite reasonable. The only excuse
I have is that I prefer wordperfect's codes much better than typing in
".commands" and find its slight degree of onscreen formatting/character
emphasis helpful.

4)WP 4.1 for the ST is buggy, clunky, and unreliable (this is the OFFICIAL
release version by wp corp. fully updated). Using it is a misery, considering
what it could have been. 4.2 does NOT exist (to my knowledge), neither is
WP likely to release it (or higher versions, for that matter).

Finally, this is only my opinion. Obviously, many (quite rightly) will prefer
the windowed interface and their favourite wordprocessor and I do not aim
to batter down someone's opinion. Its just that the lack of choice and power
on my st bugs me in this instance.
						thanx for your time,
									Babak

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (10/20/90)

- 1) Some of my fellow st'ers did not take well to my lack of
- appreciation for gem.

Which is fine.  I can respect other people's preferences (I think :^).

- My response is that gem is SLOW. text scrolling is laborious (and
- please don't tell me to run quick st or turbo st.

Why not?  What's wrong with either of them?  They offer a dramatic
improvement even on an STe.  I've said this before, and I'll say it
again, that coming home to my STe is heaven after working on a Mac
IIfx.  The text drawing with TurboST or QuickST is great.  Have you
even seen them?

- You wish to type, ie PROCESS words QUICKLY, and a window interface
- is a nuisance.

Geez, you can't please everybody, can you?  Most people (I know this
is an irrational generalization) would think that they are a luxury.
I think of a couple of text editors, like Emacs, ProText, and others,
which I'm sure you've heard of, that offer text edited features, but
no word processing functions.  Guess you're stuck.

- Believe me, hitting some fkey to insert a code is far easier than
- fiddling with the ruler (and faster). And for those who may think
- that wind/icon/mou/pointer interfaces (the brave new world and
- rebirth of man/comp relationships) has made text and cli's (the
- diehard ignoramuses who refuse to catch up to the times) extinct,
- may I remind you that any operating system worth its salt has a
- shell.

I'm a wind/icon/mou/pointer, specifically GEM, kind of person.  This
is why I didn't buy an IBM in 1988.  But each to his own.

- 4)WP 4.1 for the ST is buggy, clunky, and unreliable (this is the
- OFFICIAL release version by wp corp. fully updated). Using it is a
- misery, considering what it could have been. 4.2 does NOT exist (to
- my knowledge), neither is WP likely to release it (or higher
- versions, for that matter).

I'm sorry you can't find what you're looking for.  I was almost sure
that WP for the ST would have fit your bill, but alas, I was wrong.
Moreover, you seem to be the programming type.  Why not write one and
sell it? :^)  I'm sure there are few other ST users like you.

- Its just that the lack of choice and power on my st bugs me in this
- instance.

Unfortunately.  On a machine who's default mode is a GUI, it would be
pretty hard to imagine anything but a GUI for a word processor.  I
think that one reason most people (another irrational generalization,
I know) bought the ST was for its easy-of-use.  Luckily, for those
power users who like a shell, those are available for the ST.

Ed Krimen    - ekrimen@csuchico.edu -   |||   SysOp, Fuji BBS 916-894-1261
Video Production Major                  |||       [ THIS SPACE AVAILABLE ]
California State University, Chico     / | \      [     LEAVE E-MAIL     ]

dwy47@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Deanna W Yang) (10/20/90)

> on [WP] [...hitting an fkey is much faster and nicer than playing with the
> rulers...]

I think it's just a matter of preference.   I never really like the WordPerfect
(IBM or even mac version).   I do most of my wp work at school or at work and
I always use MSWord.  I am a mouse/pointer/icon/menu kind of person.  It's
just bothering to use WordPerfect when I have to format the text here and
there (usually out of order) and I have to juggle with fkeys (ctrl, shift, alt)
and space bars, tabs, arrow keys....I would do much faster and better with
a mouse, then the sequence ^f7,1,2,4,6 (as an example only, not a real sequence)
(and I have to remember or use a template or cheat sheet).

But of course there are a lot of diehard IBM (even IBM is going windows and
menu systems and all sorts...you give me a reason) users who still prefer
fkeys applications.   To them it's easy to use and powerful.   To them, a mouse
is like a mouse, real hard to catch.

shipley@tron.UUCP (Bill Shipley) (10/22/90)

I think that version 5.1 of WordPerfect (which runs very well under PC-Speed
on the ST) is very nearly an ideal solution. It offers very nice mouse
support - you can use the mouse for nearly everything but text entry - but
retains keyboard oriented commands for those who prefer them. Version 4.1
for the ST has the same options, but unfortunately is not as powerful as
5.1. It does not offer WYSIWYG, except in screen preview, but this makes for
much faster display speed.

Bill Shipley

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (10/23/90)

In article <655@tron.UUCP> shipley@tron.bwi.wec.com.UMD.EDU (Bill Shipley) writes:
>I think that version 5.1 of WordPerfect (which runs very well under PC-Speed
>on the ST) is very nearly an ideal solution. It offers very nice mouse
>support - you can use the mouse for nearly everything but text entry - but

It might be "very nice mouse support" by WordPerfect's standards, but not
by anyone else's.  Sure you can put the cursor where you want by clicking
on the place, but I reserve the aforementioned description for the likes
of MS Word (either the Mac or the Windows version) which is so much more
advanced in the mouse support department that they aren't even the same
league.  Note this is not a criticism of WP 5.1 as a word processor (in
fact, I prefer it to MS Word) but a criticism of their "mouse support".

>retains keyboard oriented commands for those who prefer them. Version 4.1
>for the ST has the same options, but unfortunately is not as powerful as
>5.1. It does not offer WYSIWYG, except in screen preview, but this makes for
>much faster display speed.

Version 4.1 (as well as 4.2, for that matter) has suffers from more serious
deficiencies than not being WYSIWYG. (WP 5.1 isn't WYSIWYG, either.  You
just have a "preview" option)  Its support of fonts is _severely_ limited.
The advance from 4.1 to 4.2 was minor in my book, but from 4.2 to 5.0 was
a monumental leap, mostly because 5.0 was the first version of WP to
_really_ support fonts.

It's fine and dandy to have a word processor that can spell check (WP has
the best I've seen.  It looks for words that "sound alike" rather than
spelled alike) and has a thesaurus built-in, but you should be able to
print out documents that are acceptable in today's business world.
Courier font documents are _not_ acceptable by today's standards.  The
microcomputer revolution didn't improve productivity, it just raised
the level of quality expected in business documents.  In fact,
productivity is now lower because we have management people fiddling
around with their documents to fix "just one more thing".

--
  "Gosh!  You've really got          |    Il Hwan Oh
     some nice toys in here."        |    University of Washington, Tacoma

shipley@tron.UUCP (Bill Shipley) (10/23/90)

WordPerfect Version 5.1 can do much more than position the cursor with the
mouse.  You can block text, select commands from drop down menus, and make
selections from all subsequent menus entirely with the mouse (except of
course for text or data entry). I have looked at Word for Windows and I
don't see much more mouse support than WordPerfect, other than window and
graphics sizing and document scrolling. I don't think you have looked
closely at Version 5.1. Most of the real mouse support has been added after
Version 5.0.

Bill Shipley

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (10/24/90)

In article <657@tron.UUCP> shipley@tron.bwi.wec.com.UMD.EDU (Bill Shipley) writes:
>WordPerfect Version 5.1 can do much more than position the cursor with the
>mouse.  You can block text, select commands from drop down menus, and make
>selections from all subsequent menus entirely with the mouse (except of
>course for text or data entry). I have looked at Word for Windows and I
>don't see much more mouse support than WordPerfect, other than window and
>graphics sizing and document scrolling. I don't think you have looked
>closely at Version 5.1. Most of the real mouse support has been added after
>Version 5.0.

Oh, do get serious.  Alt-= to bring up the menu?  What mental giant came
up with the idea of having a keyboard command to bring up drop-down
menus?

--

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/24/90)

In article <9803@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.UUCP (Il Oh) writes:

>Oh, do get serious.  Alt-= to bring up the menu?  What mental giant came
>up with the idea of having a keyboard command to bring up drop-down
>menus?

It's totally optional.  Normally the menu is present.  The ALT key is
used only if for some reason you don't want the menu most of the time
but want to invoke it occasionally.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.125436.13810@cs.dal.ca> bill%biomel@cs.dal.ca writes:
>In article <9803@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.UUCP (Il Oh) writes:
>>
>>Oh, do get serious.  Alt-= to bring up the menu?  What mental giant came
>>up with the idea of having a keyboard command to bring up drop-down
>>menus?
>
>It's totally optional.  Normally the menu is present.  The ALT key is
>used only if for some reason you don't want the menu most of the time
>but want to invoke it occasionally.

If what you say is true, it's a feature in the newer releases of WP 5.1.
The versions I used (about 6 months ago) did not start up with the mouse
menus.  In light of this new information, I stand corrected.  It _does_
look really ugly, though, unless they've changed that, too.

--

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/25/90)

In article <9860@milton.u.washington.edu> iho@akbar.UUCP (Il Oh) writes:

>>It's totally optional.  Normally the menu is present.  The ALT key is
>>used only if for some reason you don't want the menu most of the time
>>but want to invoke it occasionally.
>
>If what you say is true, it's a feature in the newer releases of WP 5.1.
>The versions I used (about 6 months ago) did not start up with the mouse
>menus.  In light of this new information, I stand corrected.  It _does_
>look really ugly, though, unless they've changed that, too.

You have to select the menus in setup.  Shift-F1,2,4,8 is the sequence
to leave the menu bar visible.  You can also change the appearance of
the menu.

I suggest that further queries about WP 5.1 go to a PC group.