[comp.sys.atari.st] What will "overscan" give me?

jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) (10/19/90)

I am curious about the "overscan" modification.

I just upgraded to TOS1.4 (my gosh, why did I ever put it off for so long??)
and now that I __could__ perform the upgrade, I was wondering if I would
actually realize any day-to-day benefits.

I have a 1040STF,TOS14,Mono-monitor:  Does overscan only work for color
systems?  I read the docs and they mentioned a monochrome mode, but not
very detailed.  Will I see a larger screen on my monitor??  Will the
black, wasted areas be utilized?  Will it work with NeoDesk 2.05 (or
NeoDesk 3.0 providing Gribniff EVER sends it to me!!), what about Flash1.6
or Uniterm??  Will my Showdvi previewer use a larger screen?
Will this guy ever quit asking question?  Are you still reading this??

Sorry, got carried away for a moment...  But seriously, if anyone could give
us a brief, "real-world" view of what overscan (and overscan_60) will do
and post to the net (I think this is of interest net wide) I would really
appreciate it!!

|    Capt Jeff Long                                 longj@lonex.radc.af.mil   |
|    Rome Air Development Center                    (315) 330-7751            |
|    Communications Networking Branch               (DSN) 587-7751            |

In article <jlong.656337729@cassiopeia> jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) writes:
>I have a 1040STF,TOS14,Mono-monitor:  Does overscan only work for color
>systems?  I read the docs and they mentioned a monochrome mode, but not
>very detailed.  Will I see a larger screen on my monitor??  Will the
>black, wasted areas be utilized?  Will it work with NeoDesk 2.05 (or
>NeoDesk 3.0 providing Gribniff EVER sends it to me!!), what about Flash1.6
>or Uniterm??  Will my Showdvi previewer use a larger screen?
>Will this guy ever quit asking question?  Are you still reading this??

Overscan works for both color and monochrome. On an Atari SM124 monochrome
monitor you will get 688x480 pixels, without any adjustments to the monitor.
(The author has since announced that he has tweaked it to display 720. Dunno
how.)So yes, the black wasted areas get utilized.

Neodesk 2.05 works fine with Overscan. Uniterm does not. I have a patched
version of Uniterm 2.0d that does. (It was too much effort for me to consider
doing it again for 2.0e...) I don't use Flash, so I don't know about that.
I haven't installed the font files on my system, so have never tried any of
the DVI previews. Dunno.

MGR works...

The standard version of overscan puts the video system into 50 hz (PAL) mode.
If you're particularly sensitive to video flicker, you'll notice the change.
I think it's the only way to make it worthwhile though - you have 340 (?)
scan lines at 50 hz, and you can tweak the video display to 280 scan lines.
At 60hz, there are only 262 scan lines, and you can only get 224 video lines
total. (This is for color, btw. Monochrome is as I described above.)

I noticed that the hardware limit for monochrome seems to be around 500 lines,
so getting 480 is probably about the most you'll see. I haven't seen anyone
get near 800 horizontal though.

>Sorry, got carried away for a moment...  But seriously, if anyone could give
>us a brief, "real-world" view of what overscan (and overscan_60) will do
>and post to the net (I think this is of interest net wide) I would really
>appreciate it!!
>

>--
>|    Capt Jeff Long                                 longj@lonex.radc.af.mil   |
>|    Rome Air Development Center                    (315) 330-7751            |
>|    Communications Networking Branch               (DSN) 587-7751            |

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten Isakovic) (10/23/90)

In article <jlong.656337729@cassiopeia> jlong@radc.af.mil (Jeff Long) writes:
>I am curious about the "overscan" modification.
>
>I have a 1040STF,TOS14,Mono-monitor:  Does overscan only work for color
>systems?  I read the docs and they mentioned a monochrome mode, but not
>very detailed.  Will I see a larger screen on my monitor??  Will the
>black, wasted areas be utilized?  Will it work with NeoDesk 2.05 (or
>NeoDesk 3.0 providing Gribniff EVER sends it to me!!), what about Flash1.6
>or Uniterm??  Will my Showdvi previewer use a larger screen?
>Will this guy ever quit asking question?  Are you still reading this??

Hello Jeff,

i am the autor of the overscan software, the old version of overscan did
not work on color monitors, the modification oscan60 will. The new version
of AutoSwitch-OverScan works with all three ST-frequencys and with all
monitors. The ShareWare-version (BTW: I never recieved a penny from
good old usa) 2.01 is about 43 version behind the actual version 3.0t, the
problems with GDOS/resident ramdisks etc. were solved. The
hardware problems (TOS-scrolling-problem, sync-problems when toggling
the switch etc...) were also solved with the new hardware.

On standard ST monitors you get:

Mono:   672x480
Mid60:  784x264
Mid50:  784x280
Low60:  384x264
Low50:  384x280

NeoDesk and (my) dvipreviewer work, Flash and Uniterm don't. BUT! this
is best feature of the new hardware: AutoSwitch-OverScan automaticaly
switches back to normal resolution, when you start incompatible programs!
So you can use them without rebooting. The driver costs about 10 KB
memory and works with all TOS versions, 68000 to 68030 etc.

AutoSwitch-OverScan is no longer ShareWare, you have to buy it. We are
working on the english version of the 50 paged manual. It will be ready
in the next month.

We have sold about 1500 pieces to germany, suisse, netherlands, great-
britain, italia, france, finnland, sweden, canada and australia.

Karsten Isakovic, ki@bahia.tu-berlin.de

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (10/24/90)

ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten Isakovic) writes:

- AutoSwitch-OverScan is no longer ShareWare, you have to buy it. We
- are working on the english version of the 50 paged manual. It will
- be ready in the next month.

Do you know yet how much it will cost?

Ed Krimen    - ekrimen@csuchico.edu -   |||   SysOp, Fuji BBS 916-894-1261
Video Production Major                  |||       [ THIS SPACE AVAILABLE ]
California State University, Chico     / | \      [     LEAVE E-MAIL     ]

ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten Isakovic) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.043053.10864@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>Do you know yet how much it will cost?

We don't know the price for air-mail etc. It will cost something between
$85 and $100. We are trying to have a dial with visa, so that you can
pay with a card. If you pay direct, this will cost about $17 just for the
bank :(   If you send a german cheque it costs 140,- DM. (Incl. air-mail)

Karsten

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (10/26/90)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) quotes:
> ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten Isakovic) writes:
>
> - AutoSwitch-OverScan is no longer ShareWare, you have to buy it. We
> - are working on the english version of the 50 paged manual. It will
> - be ready in the next month.

then Ed asks:
> Do you know yet how much it will cost?

I add:

Will you be doing the same for STEs, if so, when?
Any idea if the current version will make it across the big water?
I'm interested, but haven't done the old shareware hack, that's partly
why Karsen got no $$ from me 8-).  What little info I do have, didn't make
it clear that this was a shareware, HW/SW hack 8-(.

Thanks,

	Bob Pegram

Internet Domain: pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
UUCP: uvm-gen!pegram

boyd@fsucs.UUCP (Mickey Boyd) (10/26/90)

In article <2114@bahia.opal.cs.tu-berlin.de>, ki@tubopal.UUCP (Karsten Isakovic) writes:
>AutoSwitch-OverScan is no longer ShareWare, you have to buy it. We are
>working on the english version of the 50 paged manual. It will be ready
>in the next month.
>
>Karsten Isakovic, ki@bahia.tu-berlin.de

Great!  Please post something on the net when you get the english version
ready.  It is my understanding that most programs sense and use the extra
space automagically, and perhaps if the product gets popular (in the US),
folks with fix/patch the programs that don't.  Thanks in advance.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up
          FSU Computer Science       |      resembles being too tired."

ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Karsten Isakovic) (10/26/90)

In article <1753@uvm-gen.UUCP> pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:
>Will you be doing the same for STEs, if so, when?
>Any idea if the current version will make it across the big water?

The STE has another chip-set; the DE-signal (which is modified by overscan) is
only inside the shifter :-(.

We are planning to sell the hardware in USA, we already sold it in australia. (With
german manuals, since the english version is not ready yet).

Karsten