[comp.sys.atari.st] DungeonMaster on Atari??

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/20/90)

I am new to the Net, and as an Atari games user, I am somewhat
surprised that there is no newsgroup for Atari games, such as there
is for Amiga users. Having completed both DungeonMaster and its
sequel, I was interested in seeing what other Atari users thought
of the game, or if there were folks who needed hints and such. Isn't
there anyone out there who plays DM on the Atari??? If so, why aren't
there any postings on the topic? Maybe it's time to start?

Doug Yanega
University of Kansas   (BITNET - beeman@ukanvm)

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (10/21/90)

	Well, DM is rather old, and i think most of the posts for it have
been posted already.

bdeskin@cognos.UUCP (Bob Deskin) (10/23/90)

In article <26237.271f1a1d@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I am new to the Net, and as an Atari games user, I am somewhat
>surprised that there is no newsgroup for Atari games, such as there
>is for Amiga users. Having completed both DungeonMaster and its
>sequel, I was interested in seeing what other Atari users thought
>of the game, or if there were folks who needed hints and such. Isn't
>there anyone out there who plays DM on the Atari??? If so, why aren't
>there any postings on the topic? Maybe it's time to start?

As you say you're new to the ST. DungeonMaster for the ST appeared for
Christmas 1987. The reason you don't see any mention of it is that most
of the old-timers have finished it long ago. Chaos Strikes Back, the sequel,
came out last Christmas (1989). Again, lots of people have finished that.
As for how good it is, it is generally recognized as one of the best
computer games ever, if not the best.

--
Bob Deskin                    Cognos Incorporated
(613) 738-1338 ext 5003       P.O. Box 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank Dahnke) (10/24/90)

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>I am new to the Net, and as an Atari games user, I am somewhat
>surprised that there is no newsgroup for Atari games, such as there
>is for Amiga users. Having completed both DungeonMaster and its
>sequel, I was interested in seeing what other Atari users thought
>of the game, or if there were folks who needed hints and such. Isn't
>there anyone out there who plays DM on the Atari??? If so, why aren't
>there any postings on the topic? Maybe it's time to start?

Well, now... we who actually play games on the ST have finished DM long
ago. But remember, the ST is not a games machine.

                         Techno

--
| techno@zelator.UUCP   |||    Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.UUCP     / | \   Hardcore ST user !   ====================== |

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/26/90)

> ago. But remember, the ST is not a games machine.

He's right, you know.  And Flight Simulator is not a game.  And Social
Security deductions are not taxes.  And Operation Desert Shield is not
a war.

Personally, I think DM is one of the best games ever written for any
machine.  The only thing that could have been done to improve it (and other
games of the genre) would have been to put it on a LD and include more
(EX-cel-lent!) animation.

Regards
Ray Depew
IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

dhawk@well.sf.ca.us (David Hawkins) (10/26/90)

Speaking of DungeonMaster .... I hadn't played it in a while so
restarted it last night.  I was using just one character, Stamm, since
he has no mana which makes it more interesting.

Got past the Riddle room and there are three rooms where there are
iron keys in each one.  The one to the right has a pit and a
transporter screen that you turn on/off.  I must have solved this room
30 times in the past and this time hit a wall.  How do you get to the
key?

Feel free to email me on this one.   dhawk@well.sf.ca.us

later, david
--
David Hawkins  {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
"There is nothing stronger in this world than gentleness."

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (10/27/90)

In article <7340016@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>Personally, I think DM is one of the best games ever written for any

Not only DM _the_  best game written for any machine (I hate this wishy-
washy one of... stuff), it's the reason for which digital computers were
invented.
--
  "Gosh!  You've really got          |    Il Hwan Oh
     some nice toys in here."        |    University of Washington, Tacoma