[comp.sys.atari.st] Inputing sound on the ST

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (10/27/90)

  I was wondering if someone could let me know about the means
  available for inputing sounds into my ST...either via a tape
  recorder or directly through some sort of microphone.  You
  see, I'm interested in speech or other non-music sounds.

  Post to the net or email me directly.  Thanks very much.
  --Gerry
  PS.  Marshall...any ideas?

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (10/27/90)

Our newsreader is doing strange things to my messages...so I
wanted to include my addresses for those who are willing to
respond to my message about inputing sound on the ST.
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
maxg@suvm   (bitnet)
Thanks again.
--Gerry

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct27.132116.21356@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>  I was wondering if someone could let me know about the means
>  available for inputing sounds into my ST...either via a tape
>  recorder or directly through some sort of microphone.  You
>  see, I'm interested in speech or other non-music sounds.
>
>  Post to the net or email me directly.  Thanks very much.
>  --Gerry
>  PS.  Marshall...any ideas?

I know of at least one company that will be making a sound digitizer for older
Macs that will plug into the serial port to get the digitizing capabilities of
the newer Mac models.  Should work, since the ST's serial port is compatible
with the Macs (all you need to do is make/buy an adapter cable for the Mac's
stupid proprietary serial port connector.) The company is "Articulate Systems,
Inc." and the product name is _DesktopMikeVL_. I got this from MacWeek of
10.16.90.

---jb

mrose@csws9.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct27.190453.20137@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>In article <1990Oct27.132116.21356@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>>  I was wondering if someone could let me know about the means
>>  available for inputing sounds into my ST...either via a tape
>>  recorder or directly through some sort of microphone.  You
>>  see, I'm interested in speech or other non-music sounds.
>>
>>  Post to the net or email me directly.  Thanks very much.
>>  --Gerry
>>  PS.  Marshall...any ideas?
>>

>I know of at least one company that will be making a sound digitizer for older
>Macs that will plug into the serial port to get the digitizing capabilities of
>the newer Mac models.  Should work, since the ST's serial port is compatible
>with the Macs (all you need to do is make/buy an adapter cable for the Mac's
>stupid proprietary serial port connector.) The company is "Articulate Systems,
>Inc." and the product name is _DesktopMikeVL_. I got this from MacWeek of
>10.16.90.
>
>---jb

	This seems rather crazy to me.  He would have to right his
own software to make use of the sampler.  There are several ST specific
Audio digitizers available and even a few kits, such has the one that
was published in STart magazine a month or two ago.  Why bother with
a Mac digitizer when there are so many ST versions available?  Unless
you want to use it under Spectre..?  (Can you?)
	I own the ST Replay system by Microdeal.  It samples up to 50khz
and the software included allows simple sound editing capabilities, such
as cut and past.  There is a new version called Replay Professional
which includes an updated editor and is a higher quality sampler then the
orignal replay cartidge.  There is also a music program called Quartet
that will play back four samples at once and pitch shift the samples
to different frequencies to play music.  You can down load a song
demo of Quartet from the atari.archive.  There are also many sample
files there and a few sample play back programs, some of which will
replace the bell sound of the computer, key click of different keys,
and errors beeps with different sound samples.  If you have replay, you
could record your voice and use it as an error beep, for example, when
the alert box appears and tells you that it can't read Drive A because
there is no disk there, you could have the computer say in your own voice
"Put a disk into drive A" or whatever you want.  It is also fairly simple
to playback the samples in your own programs.
	I hope this helps. Take care!

				Sincerely,

				Michael Rose

kawakami@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct28.024511.5748@sbcs.sunysb.edu> mrose@csws9.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) writes:
>In article <1990Oct27.190453.20137@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>>In article <1990Oct27.132116.21356@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>>I know of at least one company that will be making a sound digitizer for older
>>Macs that will plug into the serial port to get the digitizing capabilities of
>>the newer Mac models.  Should work, since the ST's serial port is compatible
>>with the Macs (all you need to do is make/buy an adapter cable for the Mac's
>>stupid proprietary serial port connector.) The company is "Articulate Systems,
>>Inc." and the product name is _DesktopMikeVL_. I got this from MacWeek of
>>10.16.90.
>>
>>---jb
>
>	This seems rather crazy to me.  He would have to right his
>own software to make use of the sampler.  [Why bother with a Mac
>thing when there are so many ST ones available?]

That is true unless he is going to use the SpectreGCR.  In that case, if it
works, then it's definitely a better product than the very cool-groovy Replay
4.  Why?  Well, Mac software will soon support sound embedded into data: data
bases, word processors, hypercard/hypertext, mail, and so forth.  In addition,
as you say, if he can write his own program (and get info on the hardware)
then he might be able to use it in ST mode.

But what about quality?  Well, you can have the best fishing pole on earth
but if you can fish only at the local pond, what's the point.  I'll bet that
the Mac device will not be that great performance wise, but so what.  The
ability to use your data in many ways is worth a lot.

John Kawakami                  kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu
                               ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!kawakami
Amateur crank!                 My Atari Macks!