[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Stock update

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/22/90)

Atari sagged another point yesterday to close at 3 1/8.  It has lost
nearly half of its value in the last week.  It has declined roughly 4
times the amount of the general market since the invasion of Kuwait.

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (08/23/90)

In article <CMM.0.88.651333327.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Atari sagged another point yesterday to close at 3 1/8.  It has lost
>nearly half of its value in the last week.  It has declined roughly 4
>times the amount of the general market since the invasion of Kuwait.

Why doesn't our beloved Atari stock analyst provide more stock information of
stocks of other computer manufactures, say, IBM, HP, DEC, or even Commodore?
We could all learn about how they perform (or should we say how the market
expects them) in the recent Kuwait crisis.

You don't need to be an Atari fan to own Atari stocks, nor you don't need to
be an Atari stock holder to own an Atari computer. Get real.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (08/23/90)

I've really tried to keep a cork in it over this.  Approximately 82% of the
common stock of Atari Corporation is in the hands of insiders.  The action of
the stock price is not comparable to the action of the price of a broadly held
stock.  The <unprintable> who decided he didn't like Atari and is now a
cheerleader for the (groundless) idea that Atari is about to fold claims to
know something about securities analysis.  If his employers believe that, we
can expect a large bank to fold its US operations before Atari folds.  This
same person was surprised to find out that the financial reports his employer
pays some thousands of dollars for are considered proprietary information.
He has also beamishly repeated predictions of disaster for Atari after being
shown that basically, Atari must inevitably show several good year-to-year
earnings compariasons (which, by the way, probably has a lot to do with why
people who didn't own Atari stock didn't scramble to buy it: the smart ones
expected the improvement).

This forum is a convenient place to swap information about STs and programs for
them.  One plausible-sounding jerk can give new readers a badly distorted
idea of what's going on.  Sure I could hit 'n', but this guy's a menace.

A little of what I consider the truth:  Atari had a decent quarter.  They seem
to have finished putting the losses from the Federated catastrophe on the
books (if they had put the whole mess out at once, they really would have had
to declare bankruptcy).  They are still selling all the machines they are able
to make (yeah, I'm a little bitter about the small number they're able to make).
The stock is very narrowly held, which makes it EXTREMELY volatile.  For Atari
to have another decent quarter, they don't have to do anything new.  They have
several opportunities to generate good rather than decent results: any reason-
able TT introduction, any reasonable 'Christmas ST' package, a second generation
Portfolio or major Christmas sales of Lynx could be REAL helpful.  I don't
expect any of those, but again: Atari can have decent results without them.

So anyway: whatever you think of the ST or of the way Atari Corporation deals
with people, they are staying in business as long as the chairman wants them
to stay in business.
                                   Steve J.

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/23/90)

In article <4c5b0a66.12c9a@digital.sps.mot.com> chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) writes:
>In article <CMM.0.88.651333327.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>>Atari sagged another point yesterday to close at 3 1/8.  It has lost
>>nearly half of its value in the last week.  It has declined roughly 4
>>times the amount of the general market since the invasion of Kuwait.
>
>Why doesn't our beloved Atari stock analyst provide more stock information of
>stocks of other computer manufactures, say, IBM, HP, DEC, or even Commodore?
>We could all learn about how they perform (or should we say how the market
>expects them) in the recent Kuwait crisis.

I challenge you to find a significant number of tech stocks that have lost
~50% of their value in the last 2 weeks.  As a matter of fact, techs have
been weak for well over a month and I challenge you to find a significant
number who have dumped this far in that time as well.

>You don't need to be an Atari fan to own Atari stocks, nor you don't need to
>be an Atari stock holder to own an Atari computer. Get real.

I don't remember making this assertation.  I finally have the extra cash
to buy a BETTER computer than my ST.  It no longer does what I require
of it so I think that I am "getting real."

Cheers,

Chris (our beloved stock analyst) Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug23.181723.19210@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> These brilliant insiders can thank Jack and Sam
> and the rest of the gang for decresing the
> worth of their stock by more than half in
> the last month.

Really?  And just exactly WHAT are the dynamics by which you have carefully
studied the situation and are able to make such assessment?  One might as well
thank Chris and all of those related to the stock market for their aid in
decreasing the worth of Atari stock by half in the last month.

Such foolishness does not deserve to be spread via comp.sys.atari.st.

By the way, Chris -- does your employer know you're providing these
'insightful' analyses?  What is their 'official' position on Atari stock?

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug23.032316.2096@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Steph\
\
en Jacobs) writes:
>I've really tried to keep a cork in it over this.

Awww, God bless you for being so considerate.  After all, this group does
exist to exchange ideas.  Why not exchange em?

>Approximately 82% of the
>common stock of Atari Corporation is in the hands of insiders.

Big deal.  There are a lot of closely held companies out there that
haven't dumped half of their value in the last week or so.  BTW,
ATC is trading at **2 5/8** as of 4pm Wednesday.  What's your point?

>The action of
>the stock price is not comparable to the action of the price of a broadly held
>stock.

You are full of it.  I suggest you reread your correspondence course text
of stock analysis.  The shares held by insiders are not really a consideration
in this context.  You may as well imagine that they don't exist.  If the
insiders hold them, there is no net effect on the AMEX price of the stock.  IF
they sell any shares, the increase in publicly held shares with the same
basic fundamentals will cause the price to fall.  Again, what is your point?

>The <unprintable> who decided he didn't like Atari and is now a

I guess that is me.  It sure is nice to be so loved.  And you are right,
I do not like Atari Corp.  I like their product, but the company is on
very shaky financial ground.  I don't think you will be able to find
a single financial analyst who will disagree with that.  They are
cash poor and have no hope of raising reasonably priced funds due
to their crappy bond rating.  They can't raise fund in the stock market
because nobody wants to touch their stock.  It dropped 1/2 point yesterday
to 2 5/8 on 3.5 times its normal volume.

>cheerleader for the (groundless) idea that Atari is about to fold claims to
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hehe, pull your head out of the sand and accept the numbers pal.

>know something about securities analysis.  If his employers believe that, we
>can expect a large bank to fold its US operations before Atari folds.  This

Well, that is one aspect of my job.  I have received a lot of training
for this.  What do you claim to base your knowledge on?  Did you find
a Stockbrokers Guide to the Universe inside a box of cracker jacks?

>He has also beamishly repeated predictions of disaster for Atari after being

If by "disaster" you mean that I said that they were in trouble, then
you are correct.  They are.  I have said several times that I don't think
they are iminently going Chapter 11.

>shown that basically, Atari must inevitably show several good year-to-year
>earnings compariasons (which, by the way, probably has a lot to do with why

Who showed me?  Where?  When?  Show me again!  I must have missed that
brilliant piece of analysis.  They haven't earned a respectable profit
in years.  Who are you kidding?

>people who didn't own Atari stock didn't scramble to buy it: the smart ones
>expected the improvement).

No, it goes more like this:  The people who owned the stock before took
such a viscious paper loss that they are reluctant to sell and realize
their loss.  People that were smart enough to stay away from the dog
are sitting back and laughing to themselves at those who are too pig
headed to admit they've been bitten.  The stock market is generally
pretty efficient about discounting future earnings potential and this
is now showing up with the historic lows for Atari stock.

>This forum is a convenient place to swap information about STs and programs fo\
>them.  One plausible-sounding jerk can give new readers a badly distorted
>idea of what's going on.  Sure I could hit 'n', but this guy's a menace.

Well, who is the plausible jerk?  It is interesting that you are resorting
to name calling.  The is the normal tactic for a person with no grounding
in reason.  I guess that is apparent when you say that a person who is
presenting hard fact is a menace.  That is certainly the kind of "menace"
that Atari needs to get their act together.

>A little of what I consider the truth:  Atari had a decent quarter.  They seem
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ah, another pearl of wisdom.  I can't wait.  Decent quarter???  Hahahaha!
Yeah, maybe decent because their profits have been practically non-existant
for so long that anything seems an imporvement.  This is NOT a sound basis
to say they had a "decent" quarter.  They had a BAD quarter.  It just doesn't
look SO bad because the ones before were horrid.

>to have finished putting the losses from the Federated catastrophe on the

No, I don't think they are even close to putting the Federated mess behind
them.  They are trying to stretch it out as long as possible.  Believe
me, Wall St. is not stupid.  If the stock is trading as such a tiny price
there IS a reason for it.  The stock market is a VERY efficient market.  If
people were interested in the stock and wanted to buy it, the price would
go up.  BUT THEY AREN'T!!  Are you saying that all these investors are
"menaces" and that they "don't know what they are doing", ad nauseam...

>The stock is very narrowly held, which makes it EXTREMELY volatile.  For Atari

Actually, until recently I hasn't been volatile at all.  It has been
following a nice long steady curve in the downward direction.  It
hasn't made any big movements up or down until very recently.  If you
had been studying the stock you would have noticed this.  There have
been no big surprises with this stock (until recently obviously).

>to have another decent quarter, they don't have to do anything new.  They have
>several opportunities to generate good rather than decent results: any reason-
>able TT introduction, any reasonable 'Christmas ST' package, a second generati\
on
>Portfolio or major Christmas sales of Lynx could be REAL helpful.  I don't
>expect any of those, but again: Atari can have decent results without them.

This has all been discounted by the market already.  People take this into
account when they value a stock.

>So anyway: whatever you think of the ST or of the way Atari Corporation deals
>with people, they are staying in business as long as the chairman wants them
>to stay in business.

Which is probably going to be a long time.  I'm sure it makes a hell of a
tax shelter for the Tramiels.

>                                   Steve J.

Chris Mauritz

p.s.  Let's see what happens if/when shooting starts in the Middle East.
      The Japanese Yen will take a nose dive.  What does this have to do
      with Atari you ask?  Plenty!  Atari's main trade facility is
      denominated in Yen.

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/24/90)

Recently, Stephen Jacobs tried to impress one and
all with his brilliant knowledge of the Atari
stock situation.  However, one of his key numbers
was completely inaccurate.  Atari is NOT 80% owned
by insiders.  It is 32.61% owned by insiders.
This number was found by consulting filings with
the SEC.

For those who want accurate information:

Investor                        Date            Change  Held    % Own
Invest. Cos                     3/31/90         0       0       0
Institutions                    3/31/90         -299    2,863   4.96
5% owners                       6/30/90          Na     39,673  68.80
Insiders                        5/31/90          Na     18,804  32.61

Note:  The numbers do not add up to 100% as some
       of the 5% owners may be insiders.

gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.181723.19210@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> However, one of his key numbers
>was completely inaccurate.  Atari is NOT 80% owned
>by insiders.  It is 32.61% owned by insiders.

Er, it should be obvious to someone as smart as you that Jack T isn't
technically an insider, so he's in the "5% owners" category. However,
most of us would consider Jack T an insider.

>This number was found by consulting filings with the SEC.

Too bad you don't engage your brain when you consult with SEC filings.

--
"In fact you should not be involved in IRC." -- Phil Howard

talaga@oxy.edu (David Scott Talaga) (08/24/90)

Kill this thread.  This should be under alt.business.garbage.

The purpose of this newsgroup is not to discuss the merits of investing
in Atari stock.  This is turning into a flame war.  If you guys have
legitimate gripes take them to the securities commission.  Stop wasting
bandwidth.

comp.sys.atari.st

David Talaga		talaga@oxy.edu
Occidental Chemical Weapons
Los Angeles

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (08/24/90)

Ok.  My basic stock market credential is 28 years of experience.  I won't go
into the book training, but there's some of that too.  And the fact that
Chris Mauritz thinks stock in the hands of insiders can be ignored again
shows that he thinks with his wisher: what happens when Jack wants a bit of
cash?  Could he maybe sell stock equivalent to half a percent of what's on
the market?  Would that have an effect?
  Wanna tech stock that's lost half its value lately?  Try Lotus Development.
I'll sell you some nice $10 puts on Lotus that'll be worth something when it
goes bankrupt.  I mean, if losing half its stock market value means a company
is going down the tubes.....
  Is the stock market efficient?  Over some time span, sure.  Mostly.  Every
big day-to-day move shows that it isn't efficient in the short term.  Every
corporate surprise shows it has some longer-term inefficiencies.
  But this is the Atari ST group.  The question is whether Atari Corporation
is going to be there, in the computer business, giving whatever backing they
give users, in the future.  Chris Mauritz doesn't say it right now, but in the
past he's sure said that Atari is about to fold.  Now he's just saying that
they'll be too weak to do anything for their customers.  So here are some nice
concrete predictions that mean something to customers.  Redeemable in six
months (gimme a week: March 1, 1991).  The program of exchanging defective
items for a fee will still exist (that's a pretty good repair policy for a
computer company).  There will be STe-s for anyone who wants to buy them.
All 3 announced sizes of STacy will be available to anyone who wants one.  The
TT will be in the hands of developers.  At least one major system software
improvement for the ST will be a topic of discussion, or perhaps available.
Not very spectacular, but Atari hasn't been spectacular in a while.  What it
is, is the kind of things that wouldn't be there if the company folded or
was crippled.  And just for jollies: let's say another 3 cents a share
earnings reported in November, and a nickel in February.  But that's kinda
beside the point.
  So far nobody's told me to shut up.  If you want me to, email me.
                                    Steve J.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.181723.19210@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Recently, Stephen Jacobs tried to impress one and
>all with his brilliant knowledge of the Atari
>stock situation.  However, one of his key numbers
>was completely inaccurate.  Atari is NOT 80% owned
>by insiders.  It is 32.61% owned by insiders.
>This number was found by consulting filings with
>the SEC.
>
>For those who want accurate information:
>
>Investor                        Date            Change  Held    % Own
>Invest. Cos                     3/31/90         0       0       0
>Institutions                    3/31/90         -299    2,863   4.96
>5% owners                       6/30/90          Na     39,673  68.80
>Insiders                        5/31/90          Na     18,804  32.61
>
>Note:  The numbers do not add up to 100% as some
>       of the 5% owners may be insiders.

From the Proxy statement distributed in connection with the May 15 Shareholder
meeting:

Jack Tramiel is beneficial owner of 43.8% of outstanding Atari common stock
Warner Communications is beneficial owner of 24.6% of outstanding stock
Sam Tramiel is beneficial owner of 1.8% of outstanding stock.
Other directors and executive officers own about 6% of the stock (by subtraction)
Amounts of stock equivalent to about 4% of all outstanding are held directly
or in trust by other Tramiel family members.

Papa Jack has more than Chris says all insiders combined own.  So who do YOU
want to believe?
                                     Steve Jacobs

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.160044.25447@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Aug23.032316.2096@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Steph\

>p.s.  Let's see what happens if/when shooting starts in the Middle East.
>      The Japanese Yen will take a nose dive.  What does this have to do
>      with Atari you ask?  Plenty!  Atari's main trade facility is
>      denominated in Yen.

I thought most of America was owned by Japan anyway (and most of Britain
is owned by America).

Anyway, Chris, nice to see your selling your ST, please buy an Amiga,
you'd enjoy the company in comp.sys.amiga....

Mark.

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.032316.2096@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>I've really tried to keep a cork in it over this.  Approximately 82% of the
>common stock of Atari Corporation is in the hands of insiders.

Steve, you and Chris seem to have conflicting data here.  I believe he
quoted something on the order of 32 percent for the number you quoted
above.  May I ask the source of your data?  I find this discussion of
atari stock quite interesting...

As a side note, I also find the namecalling quite obnoxious.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

rg@sisd.kodak.com (Rich Gortatowsky) (08/25/90)

>From the Proxy statement distributed in connection with the May 15 Shareholder
>meeting:
>
>Jack Tramiel is beneficial owner of 43.8% of outstanding Atari common stock
>Warner Communications is beneficial owner of 24.6% of outstanding stock
>Sam Tramiel is beneficial owner of 1.8% of outstanding stock.
>Other directors and executive officers own about 6% of the stock (by subtraction)
>Amounts of stock equivalent to about 4% of all outstanding are held directly
>or in trust by other Tramiel family members.
>
>Papa Jack has more than Chris says all insiders combined own.  So who do YOU
>want to believe?
>                                     Steve Jacobs

Stock.... Shlock.
Atari US could/may? fold up tomorrow... big deal. I've been (past) an avid
atari fan/ programmer for many a years (can everyone say poverty? Piracy?
blatent MASS theft? Promises? Edsel? I knew we could). The big question is
how much can the consumer get beat. Yell at oil companys for some added
pennys... Support a company that does not support the consumer. It's a mute
point I gather? Regardless... Atari US (<- see!) will NEVER sell me another
item no matter how "good" it is. Fool me once your the fool, twice++ I am.
Besides, w/ Windows 3.0 lookin' MIGHTY FINE and all the goodies/possibilitys
available for PC's why look further? I'd assume consumers want the BEST they
can get for their respective bucks (those that dont pay $2.50 a gallon for gas
when the pump price is 1.09 right?) so why get less in any capacity be it
Mips, support et al. Or!.... are we all perspective edsel buyers?

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug24.060014.28210@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>Ok.  My basic stock market credential is 28 years of experience.  I won't go
>Chris Mauritz thinks stock in the hands of insiders can be ignored again
>shows that he thinks with his wisher: what happens when Jack wants a bit of
>cash?  Could he maybe sell stock equivalent to half a percent of what's on
>the market?  Would that have an effect?

It doesn't take an MBA to realize that if Jack did that, he'd lose a lot
of money and would have to dump millions of shares to see any significant
cash.

>past he's sure said that Atari is about to fold.  Now he's just saying that

If you'll look back at my postings, you'll see that I NEVER said Atari
Corp. was going to fold iminently.  I've just been saying that they
are in deep difficulty.  Stop trying to put words in my mouth.  If you
want to quote my words, then do just that.  QUOTE my exact words!

>they'll be too weak to do anything for their customers.  So here are some nice

I think this is already the case.  Actually, things have been like this
for quite some time.  For a company which tries to represent itself
as a computer manufacturerer with eyes on the business market (hehe),
their service is non-existent.  They will NEVER sell computers in
significant numbers with these policies in place.

>months (gimme a week: March 1, 1991).  The program of exchanging defective
>items for a fee will still exist (that's a pretty good repair policy for a
>computer company).  There will be STe-s for anyone who wants to buy them.

Big deal.  No serious buyer of computers is going to wait weeks or months
of downtime to get a computer repaired or replaced.  The fact that there
are so few Atari dealers out there only makes things worse.  There are
really few options for an owner whose ST breaks down.  If the reduction
of ST dealers in New York City is any indication, I can only imagine what
things are like out in Idaho or Nevada, etc...

Regarding the STe...So what.  The introduction of the STe was a non-event.
All they really did was repackage the same old 68000 technology in
a box with more joystick ports and a few minor hardware tweaks.  I'm
sure that really took a lot of R & D expense.

>TT will be in the hands of developers.  At least one major system software

Well, if you'd read the Atari annual report, you'd notice that Sam
Tramiel has stated (in writing this time!) that the TT will be
available for purchase in the second half of 1990.  However, we all
know what usually happens when Atari people say the TT will be
available before time X....WOLF WOLF WOLF!!! FCC!! FCC!! FCC!!! whooopps,
we can't make them because we don't have enough money to buy DRAMS...
etc....

>  So far nobody's told me to shut up.  If you want me to, email me.

You shouldn't have to.  These groups exist to exchange ideas.  A
discusssion isn't fun if everyone regurgitates the company propaganda.

>                                    Steve J.

Cheers,

Chris

p.s.  thank you for dispensing with the insults

------------------------------+---------------------------

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug23.160044.25447@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Big deal.  There are a lot of closely held companies out there that
>haven't dumped half of their value in the last week or so.  BTW,
>ATC is trading at **2 5/8** as of 4pm Wednesday.  What's your point?
>[...]  They can't raise fund in the stock market
>because nobody wants to touch their stock.  It dropped 1/2 point yesterday
>to 2 5/8 on 3.5 times its normal volume.
>
>Hehe, pull your head out of the sand and accept the numbers pal.

At yesterday's (Tue 8/28) close, Atari was at 3-3/4. That's a 40% increase
of just one week ago. I challenge you to find another stock that has performed
this well.  Draw your own conclusions, etc...

>------------------------------+---------------------------
>Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
>(c)All rights reserved.       |
>Send flames to /dev/null      |
>------------------------------+---------------------------

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/23/90)

A few blocks of Atari stock traded yesterday at **1 3/4**.  This is
beginning to look more serious than I thought, as the tech stocks
have been rallying in the last few sessions.  Commodore, Apple, IBM,
Compaq, Sun, etc. have all increased in value since their post-Kuwait
lows.  Draw your own conclusions.

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (10/24/90)

- A few blocks of Atari stock traded yesterday at **1 3/4**.  This is
- beginning to look more serious than I thought, as the tech stocks
- have been rallying in the last few sessions.  Commodore, Apple, IBM,
- Compaq, Sun, etc. have all increased in value since their
- post-Kuwait lows.  Draw your own conclusions.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're annoying.  How's that for a conclusion??

Ed Krimen    - ekrimen@csuchico.edu -   |||   SysOp, Fuji BBS 916-894-1261
Video Production Major                  |||       [ THIS SPACE AVAILABLE ]
California State University, Chico     / | \      [     LEAVE E-MAIL     ]

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (10/24/90)

From article <1990Oct23.140703.6611@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz):
> A few blocks of Atari stock traded yesterday at **1 3/4**.  This is
> beginning to look more serious than I thought, as the tech stocks
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    How's this possible?
[rest deleted]

Geez, Chris, I'm beginning to think that you're conducting a
psychological experiment to determine the annoyance threshhold of this
group's subscribers.  I guess mine is pretty low - thus this response.
...Oh yeah... hit "n" if you don't want to read this!

Tom

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than
| Thomas Wolf   | (201) 615-4789      | no questions at all. No answer is
| Bell Labs, NJ | wolf@mink.att.com   | better than a stupid one.
+-------------------------------------+

randyh@hpsad.HP.COM (Randy Hosler) (10/24/90)

If the stock drops below $1 a share will my ST stop working?

Draw your own conclusions.

-----
Randy

mrose@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct23.215732.8645@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

[ Same old crap from our bearer of doom and gloom for Atari, Chris Mauritz! ]

>You're annoying.  How's that for a conclusion??

Could someone please help us all out and explain how to put
Christopher M Mauritz in our kill files? ;)

>--
>Ed Krimen    - ekrimen@csuchico.edu -   |||   SysOp, Fuji BBS 916-894-1261
>Video Production Major                  |||       [ THIS SPACE AVAILABLE ]
>California State University, Chico     / | \      [     LEAVE E-MAIL     ]

				Take care!

				Michael Rose

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (10/25/90)

Someone on CompuServe made the observation that several large blocks of
Atari stock had been sold by insiders recently...  someone else connected
the date of those sales to the date Elie Kenan announced he was not going
to take the job as head of Atari North America and went back to France...

I'm wondering at what point does a stock become a "penny stock"...?

BobR

pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) (10/25/90)

>- A few blocks of Atari stock traded yesterday at **1 3/4**.
>-   Draw your own conclusions.
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>You're annoying.  How's that for a conclusion??

Yeah. What he said.

bainbrdk@sage.cc.purdue.edu (David Bainbridge) (10/25/90)

In article <BB5%?Z@ads.com> pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) writes:

>>- A few blocks of Atari stock traded yesterday at **1 3/4**.
>>-   Draw your own conclusions.
>>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>You're annoying.  How's that for a conclusion??
>>

>Yeah. What he said.

Talk about taking it personally....  You only get responses like these if
you were worried about the future of Atari...

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (10/25/90)

		Re:  Putting someone in your kill file.

	Step 1: First you need a kill file. Hit shift k to kill any article and
   save the results to a kill file.
	Step 2: Hit control K to edit your kill file.
	Step 3: Change the kill file to have this line in it.

	/cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu/h:j

	Resave the kill file and you're done.  This will work for any messages
posted from that account.  The h means that the header is searched for the
string in the slashes.  As long as Chris posts from that account,everything
works fine.  Note this only works for rn and it's relatives.

	If you realy don't want to read anything to do with Chris, try
	/Mauritz/a:j
	This will kill any article with the string Mauritz anywhere in the
article.

	enjoy
	John Henders

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/25/90)

In article <4734@sage.cc.purdue.edu> bainbrdk@sage.cc.purdue.edu (David Bainbridge) writes:
>In article <BB5%?Z@ads.com> pdel@ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) writes:
>>
>>>- A few blocks of Atari stock traded yesterday at **1 3/4**.
>>>-   Draw your own conclusions.
>>>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>You're annoying.  How's that for a conclusion??
>>>

>>Yeah. What he said.
>
>Talk about taking it personally....  You only get responses like these if
>you were worried about the future of Atari...

My sentiments exactly.  Geez....

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------

In article <2866@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) writes:

>		Re:  Putting someone in your kill file.

Useful post.

>	Step 1: First you need a kill file. Hit shift k to kill any article and
>   save the results to a kill file.
>	Step 2: Hit control K to edit your kill file.
>	Step 3: Change the kill file to have this line in it.
>
>	/cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu/h:j
>
>	Resave the kill file and you're done.  This will work for any messages
>posted from that account.  The h means that the header is searched for the
>string in the slashes.  As long as Chris posts from that account,everything
>works fine.  Note this only works for rn and it's relatives.
>
>	If you realy don't want to read anything to do with Chris, try
>	/Mauritz/a:j

or try /stock/a:j

>	This will kill any article with the string Mauritz anywhere in the
>article.
>
>	enjoy

I'm sure they will.  I feel so warm and fuzzy inside now. :-)

>	John Henders

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (10/29/90)

>Someone on CompuServe made the observation that several large blocks of
>Atari stock had been sold by insiders recently...  someone else connected
>the date of those sales to the date Elie Kenan announced he was not going
>to take the job as head of Atari North America and went back to France...
>
>I'm wondering at what point does a stock become a "penny stock"...?
>
>BobR

  I think that the technical term for this is 'insider trading'. The SEC
frowns on this sort of thing.....

-- Dave Ritchie

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (10/29/90)

Gee.  I noticed that after Chris's profound comment on Atari stock ("Draw your
own conclusions") Atari stock must have gone up by a point!  It closed down at
well over 2 - if memory serves it was 2 3/8 (Chris mentioned, I believe 1 3/4?)

That means an increase of nearly 40% in one week!  Draw your own conclusions.

Proper conclusions should be that the stock market is fairly volatile at the
moment, that we are in a 'recession', that computer stocks aren't anywhere near
as interesting as oil futures, and that, since noone here is a bonded stock
market analyst/broker, we really haven't the faintest idea what is REALLY
happening.  I -could- be wrong about this last point -- Chris, if you're a
stock market analyst/broker let us know...

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/29/90)

In article <15480011@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) writes:
>>Someone on CompuServe made the observation that several large blocks of
>>Atari stock had been sold by insiders recently...  someone else connected
>>the date of those sales to the date Elie Kenan announced he was not going
>>to take the job as head of Atari North America and went back to France...
>>
>>I'm wondering at what point does a stock become a "penny stock"...?
>>
>>BobR
>
>  I think that the technical term for this is 'insider trading'. The SEC
>frowns on this sort of thing.....

No, it just means that someone who works for Atari bought or sold some of
his/her shares.  This is perfectly legal.  What Bob is getting at is that
if the insiders are selling, it indicates a lack of confidence in the
company coming from people who WORK for the company.  Many investor
services follow insider transactions for companies to keep tabs on
employees' expectations of future performance.

Regards,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

whitehe@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Drew D Whitehead) (10/30/90)

I am selling some ST software.  This software comes with the origional
box, disks, and books.  If you are interested, please leave me e-mail or
call me at (317)743-5122.

Thanks

Drew Whitehead

Here is a list of my software for sale.