[comp.sys.atari.st] Better Copy Utility?

walkerd@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (David Walker) (10/22/90)

Can anyone tell me where I can ftp a faster copy utility from? I have a
regular ST1040, and the one-file-at-a-time swap-diskettes-til-you-bleed
method is doing me harm. Thanks in advance.

Dave Walker

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (10/23/90)

- Can anyone tell me where I can ftp a faster copy utility from? I
- have a regular ST1040, and the one-file-at-a-time
- swap-diskettes-til-you-bleed method is doing me harm. Thanks in
- advance.

For the first year I had my ST, before I got a hard drive, I used a
RAM disk.  You can copy the files over to it, swap disks, and then
copy them back.  Or, you can get NeoDesk.  It loads as many files
into memory as possible and then copies them to disks. (I got 3.0 on
the weekend and it's GREAT!!)

It's a good thing you don't have a Mac. You'd be swapping disks even
when you're not copying!

Ed Krimen    - ekrimen@csuchico.edu -   |||   SysOp, Fuji BBS 916-894-1261
Video Production Major                  |||       [ THIS SPACE AVAILABLE ]
California State University, Chico     / | \      [     LEAVE E-MAIL     ]

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/25/90)

> Can anyone tell me where I can ftp a faster copy utility from? I have a
> regular ST1040, and the one-file-at-a-time swap-diskettes-til-you-bleed
> method is doing me harm. Thanks in advance.

I always use a huge RAMdisk when I'm doing floppy copies.  That way I only
have to swap once.

I heard that TOS 1.4 does it right, using all available RAM as a buffer to
minimize disk swaps, but I havent' gotten up the nerve to try it yet.

Ray Depew
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
"Well okay, maybe it doesn't, but doggone it, it SHOULD!"

entropy@mole.ai.mit.edu (Nick Castellano) (10/25/90)

>Can anyone tell me where I can ftp a faster copy utility from? I have a
>regular ST1040, and the one-file-at-a-time swap-diskettes-til-you-bleed
>method is doing me harm. Thanks in advance.

Try DCOPY, which should be available from any archive site.

--
  | | |   ncastellano@{eagle.wesleyan.edu, wesleyan.bitnet}
  | | |   entropy@ai.mit.edu
 /  |  \  Sinkhole!dEADHEAd[@mast.citadel.moundst.mn.org] (call 203-873-8518)
/   |   \ snikt!entropy

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (10/25/90)

There's also a real nice shareware copy utility called cheetah. I'm not
sure what ftp sites have it... I got mine from CI$. I could possibly
post to the binaries news group if there's sufficient interest.

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado          * "This mind intentionally left blank" */
/* (303)223-5100 X-319             *    All standard disclaimers apply    */

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (10/25/90)

>Can anyone tell me where I can ftp a faster copy utility from? I have a
>regular ST1040, and the one-file-at-a-time swap-diskettes-til-you-bleed
>method is doing me harm. Thanks in advance.

On the subject of disk file manipulation, I would like to implement a move
command which, if the target is on the same floppy as the source, re-links
the directory entries rather than doing a copy/delete. Is it possible to
do this or will GEMDOS buffering confuse things? If buffering is a problem,
is there a way to tell GEMDOS its buffers are no longer valid?

Dave.
--
% cc life.c                      | David Clear dac@ukc.ac.uk +44 227 764000x7592
% a.out                          | Local Area Networks, Computing Laboratory,

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (10/25/90)

In article <5904@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) writes:
|> On the subject of disk file manipulation, I would like to implement a move
|> command which, if the target is on the same floppy as the source, re-links
|> the directory entries rather than doing a copy/delete. Is it possible to
|> do this or will GEMDOS buffering confuse things? If buffering is a problem,
|> is there a way to tell GEMDOS its buffers are no longer valid?

This is no problem. Simply use the Frename() system call.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (10/25/90)

In article <5904@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) writes...
>On the subject of disk file manipulation, I would like to implement a move
>command which, if the target is on the same floppy as the source, re-links
>the directory entries rather than doing a copy/delete. Is it possible to
Unless I miss understood your intent, just use Frename() it does all the work
for you.  Just pass it the old and new file names and your done.

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (10/25/90)

In article <2722F8F7.24945@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, walkerd@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (David Walker) writes...
>Can anyone tell me where I can ftp a faster copy utility from? I have a
DCFORMAT copies disks. It is available from PANARTHEA as volume3/dcfrmt30 and
from TERMINATOR as dcfmt30.arc

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (10/26/90)

	Re: Relinking files.
 This is yet another reason to get Tos 1.4.  It does this on moves on the
same disk.  Appearantly UIS3 does the same thing under TOS 1.4.  Can someone
tell me if there is a new TOS call, or a new parameter on an old TOS call
which does this?
	John Henders

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (10/26/90)

In article <2751@laura.UUCP> klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
>In article <5904@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) writes:
>|> On the subject of disk file manipulation, I would like to implement a move
>|> command which, if the target is on the same floppy as the source...

>This is no problem. Simply use the Frename() system call.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that Frename() handled renames across subdirectories.

Dave. A little older, and a little wiser.

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (10/26/90)

In article <A0av35qw@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca>, jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John
Henders) writes:
|> 	Re: Relinking files.
|>  This is yet another reason to get Tos 1.4.  It does this on moves on
|> the
|> same disk.  Appearantly UIS3 does the same thing under TOS 1.4.  Can
|> someone
|> tell me if there is a new TOS call, or a new parameter on an old TOS
|> call
|> which does this?

The move function is new to the TOS 1.4 desktop only. Under an older TOS a
program could do this with the Frename() system call.

--

mtvfb@rivm.uucp (Fokke de Boer) (10/26/90)

In article <7340015@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>> regular ST1040, and the one-file-at-a-time swap-diskettes-til-you-bleed
>> method is doing me harm. Thanks in advance.
>I heard that TOS 1.4 does it right, using all available RAM as a buffer to
>minimize disk swaps, but I havent' gotten up the nerve to try it yet.

Well, just try it: it works almost as fast as FCopy 2.0, which I used before
I had TOS 1.4. It is really nice!!

Fokke de Boer (mtvfb@rivm.nl)

pv@polari.UUCP (Paul Varn) (10/29/90)

In article <7340015@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>> Can anyone tell me where I can ftp a faster copy utility from? I have a
>> regular ST1040, and the one-file-at-a-time swap-diskettes-til-you-bleed
>> method is doing me harm. Thanks in advance.
>
>I always use a huge RAMdisk when I'm doing floppy copies.  That way I only
>have to swap once.
>
>I heard that TOS 1.4 does it right, using all available RAM as a buffer to
>minimize disk swaps, but I havent' gotten up the nerve to try it yet.

In addition to TOS 1.4, and DCOPY, Hypercopy from Germany is very impressive.
On 1 meg memory or better, there's no disk swap.  800K without format is about
30 seconds or less, with format, always less than a minute, still often less
than 45 seconds.
-PV-
     /+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+\
     +   COMMENTS COMPLIMENTS CONTINOUS COMPLAINTS   +
     "             COURTESY: Paul Varn               "
     +   UUCP: pv@polari             GEnie: p.varn   +
     \+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+/

jeroen@plato.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) (10/29/90)

Everyone should use FastCopy III. Ultrafast and versatile. Dunno where it can
be ftp'd, but try the German ftp sites. Enjoy!

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (10/30/90)

jeroen@plato.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) writes:

- Everyone should use FastCopy III. Ultrafast and versatile. Dunno
- where it can be ftp'd, but try the German ftp sites. Enjoy!

If anyone knows that it's not at atari.archive, let me know and I'll
send it.  I can also send MegaFormat.  It's another copy
program/formatter.  I like the sounds it has when you click on a
command.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

crc6@pyuxe.UUCP (C. Colbert) (10/31/90)

I have one that runs under the Mark Williams MSH or as a .ttp file.
I wrote it when I lived with a single floppy. It reads all the files
into memory then asks you to change the disk. It's written in C. You
can have source and/or binary. Does anyone want it?

(It is possible to live on a single double sided drive with Mark Williams
C 1.0.)

C. Colbert