[comp.sys.atari.st] Quick ST II Challenge!

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (10/17/90)

I'm not sure if a message I posted a few days ago made it anywhere because
it was about 10K in size, so instead of reposting it, I will email it to
anyone who is interested.

Anyone interested in finding out more about the Quick ST II Challenge should

In a nutshell, the Quick ST II Challenge is this: we are so sure that you will
like the new Quick ST 2.2, that we have released a FREE demo of it. The demo
is already available for download on Compuserve and GEnie, and runs on the
68000, 68030, color, mono, Moniterm, etc, and is faster than even recent
commercial releases of Quick ST or Turbo ST. (The real Quick ST 2.2 is even
faster though). If you can't download the demo, we are offering to send you
a disk containing the demo, ABSOLUTELY FREE. All we need is your mailing
address. So reply to this email and I'll email you the complete details of
the Quick ST II Challenge. And yes, you even get to keep the disk.

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka      (206)-885-5893        All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

jeroen@plato.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) (10/17/90)

In article <58268@microsoft.UUCP>, darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:ash

message I posted a few days ago made it anywhere because
|>it was about 10K in size, so instead of reposting it, I will email it to
|>anyone who is interested.
|>
|>Anyone interested in finding out more about the Quick ST II Challenge should

Oh Darek, if only you had put in a *VALID* email adress... my mailers do not
support uucp adressing. Anyone knows a real email adress?
B.t.w., if you're going to mail anyone asking to anyway why not include the
Quick ST II Challenge in it? Saves us downloading or you sending floppies.

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/17/90)

In article <58268@microsoft.UUCP> darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:
>I'm not sure if a message I posted a few days ago made it anywhere because
>it was about 10K in size, so instead of reposting it, I will email it to
>anyone who is interested.
>
>Anyone interested in finding out more about the Quick ST II Challenge should
>
>In a nutshell, the Quick ST II Challenge is this: we are so sure that you will
>like the new Quick ST 2.2, that we have released a FREE demo of it. The demo
>is already available for download on Compuserve and GEnie, and runs on the
>68000, 68030, color, mono, Moniterm, etc, and is faster than even recent
>commercial releases of Quick ST or Turbo ST. (The real Quick ST 2.2 is even
>faster though). If you can't download the demo, we are offering to send you
>a disk containing the demo, ABSOLUTELY FREE. All we need is your mailing
>address. So reply to this email and I'll email you the complete details of
>the Quick ST II Challenge. And yes, you even get to keep the disk.

Well, after seeing you chastise some other poor soul for "wanting something
for nothing," I think it is only fair to say that you are guilty of the
same.  By using a free medium (Usenet), to advertise your commercial product
you are taking advantage of all those sites out there who pay for the
net to operate.  How about giving them a royalty from future sales to
cover their blood, sweat and tears in keeping Usenet alive? :-)
Hehe, if the above sounds ridiculous to you (and I suspect it does), I
suggest you go back and re-read your post that I'm referring to for a
REAL laugh.

>- Darek

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (10/18/90)

In article <58268@microsoft.UUCP> darekm@microsoft.UUCP (me!) writes:
>I'm not sure if a message I posted a few days ago made it anywhere because
>it was about 10K in size, so instead of reposting it, I will email it to
>anyone who is interested.

I've been told that simply replying to that email did not always work.
I have been asked to post an email path. So if you are interested in
having me email you a copy of the Quick ST II Challenge (a 10K text file)
then please send your request by email to uunet!microsoft!darekm

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka   uunet!microsoft!darekm   All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

mccann@rbdc (Mike McCann) (10/18/90)

 am:

Mike McCann

1101-4 Barbara Ann Circle

Winston-Salem, NC 27103

EOF

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (10/20/90)

In article cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>...  By using a free medium (Usenet), to advertise your commercial product
>you are taking advantage of all those sites out there who pay for the
>net to operate.  How about giving them a royalty from future sales to
>cover their blood, sweat and tears in keeping Usenet alive? :-)
>Hehe, if the above sounds ridiculous to you (and I suspect it does), I
>suggest you go back and re-read your post that I'm referring to for a
>REAL laugh.
>
>>- Darek
>
>Cheers,
>
>Chris
>------------------------------+---------------------------
>Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
>(c)All rights reserved.       |
>Send flames to /dev/null      |
>------------------------------+---------------------------

My dear pathetic Mr. Mauritz. You obviously cannot read English. My original
10K message containing the Quick ST II Challenge was never sent. I thought I
did, but I guess I didn't. Instead, I posted a much shorter message saying
that anyone who wants to find out more can reply to the message. That way I
save a lot of bandwidth by not posting it here. I also am not emailing out
copies of the demo because it is about 150K in size and that too would waste
a lot of bandwidth. So even though in the last few days I have received
dozens of email requests to email the demo, I am instead offering to send a
disk, AT MY EXPENSE, to anyone who wants it. I have posted the exact same offer
on Compuserve and GEnie. So I have "wasted" less bandwidth than you, who
decided to repost my entire my entire message, plus your pathetic little
mindless comments. Just because this is a free network does not mean we are
limited to discussing only public domain software. What I posted was an
announcement, similar to the announcements you will find from other commercial
software vendors on bulletin boards, or bundled in an issue of ST Report or
ZNET. You obviously cannot be reasoned with since your signature directs me
to send flames to /dev/null, so if you have some problems with this go to hell.
I know it is a new concept for you to grasp: someone giving away free demos on
a disk without charging for it and no strings attached. Considering how many
people responded to my posting, and how many of them used words like "ok,
I'll bite" it proves my original statement that most people on the net are
to cheap to consider buying commercial software, and it is only by offering
it to them on a silver plate that they respond. I accept that as a fact of
life in the Atari world, and offering a free demo is my way of satisfying
both me and the users. I could weasel out and start crying that the ST
software market is dead and hopeless, but it is not. Quick ST II is one of
the best selling pieces of software for the Atari ST, ever. That is why I
can afford to sell it for $20 and still make a healty profit. So please stop
trying to kill the commercial software market. Please? If you have anything
further to say, please do so in private email and stop wasting bandwidth.

- Darek

 Darek Mihocka  All views expressed are my own. If you don't like them, die.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (10/20/90)

In article <58392@microsoft.UUCP> darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:
 >In article cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
 >>...  By using a free medium (Usenet), to advertise your commercial product
 >>you are taking advantage of all those sites out there who pay for the
 >>net to operate.  How about giving them a royalty from future sales to
 >>cover their blood, sweat and tears in keeping Usenet alive? :-)
 >>Hehe, if the above sounds ridiculous to you (and I suspect it does), I
 >>suggest you go back and re-read your post that I'm referring to for a
 >>REAL laugh.
 >>
 >>>- Darek
 >>
 >>Cheers,
 >>
 >>Chris
 >>------------------------------+---------------------------
 >>Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
 >>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
 >>(c)All rights reserved.       |
 >>Send flames to /dev/null      |
 >>------------------------------+---------------------------
 >
 >My dear pathetic Mr. Mauritz. You obviously cannot read English. My original
 >10K message containing the Quick ST II Challenge was never sent. I thought I
 >did, but I guess I didn't. Instead, I posted a much shorter message saying
 >that anyone who wants to find out more can reply to the message.

Look, guy, no matter how you slice it, you still are using Usenet for free
advertising for your product.

 >That way I
 >save a lot of bandwidth by not posting it here. I also am not emailing out
 >copies of the demo because it is about 150K in size and that too would waste
 >a lot of bandwidth.

Oh gosh, I'm impressed.  Why don't you PAY for your advertising, instead of
using Usenet? You know, like other software publishers do?

 >So even though in the last few days I have received
 >dozens of email requests to email the demo, I am instead offering to send a
 >disk, AT MY EXPENSE, to anyone who wants it. I have posted the exact same offer
 >on Compuserve and GEnie. So I have "wasted" less bandwidth than you, who
 >decided to repost my entire my entire message, plus your pathetic little
 >mindless comments.

If I were you, I'd stop posting altogether.  I'm sure your ravings are turning
off potential customers. I know that if I needed a product like yours, which I
don't, I would DEFINITELY buy Turbo-St, I couldn't stomach giving YOU any
money. (I can see you there, gritting your teeth, saying "There goes someone
else, too cheap to spend money, blablabla...)

 >Just because this is a free network does not mean we are
 >limited to discussing only public domain software.

That's right. It doesn't mean that you can post product promotions on Usenet
either, now, does it? I can't stand it when people post promotions and ads
and call them "discussions" or "announcements".

 > What I posted was an
 >announcement, similar to the announcements you will find from other commercial
 >software vendors on bulletin boards, or bundled in an issue of ST Report or
 >ZNET.

No, it was a PRODUCT PROMOTION and, as such, was an inappropriate use of
resources.

 >You obviously cannot be reasoned with since your signature directs me
 >to send flames to /dev/null, so if you have some problems with this go to hell.

How about YOUR signature, guy, and I quote: "All views expressed are my own.
If you don't like them, die." What a hypocrite!

 >I know it is a new concept for you to grasp: someone giving away free demos on
 >a disk without charging for it and no strings attached. Considering how many
 >people responded to my posting, and how many of them used words like "ok,
 >I'll bite" it proves my original statement that most people on the net are
 >to cheap to consider buying commercial software, and it is only by offering
 >it to them on a silver plate that they respond.

Hasn't it ever occured to you that nobody WANTS your product? Probably not.
I'm sure your product is useful to some, but surely you don't believe that
everybody needs it, but is just too cheap to buy it, do you?

 > I accept that as a fact of
 >life in the Atari world, and offering a free demo is my way of satisfying
 >both me and the users. I could weasel out and start crying that the ST
 >software market is dead and hopeless, but it is not. Quick ST II is one of
 >the best selling pieces of software for the Atari ST, ever. That is why I
 >can afford to sell it for $20 and still make a healty profit.

Oh, really?  What the hell are you whining about then??

 > So please stop trying to kill the commercial software market. Please?

More mindless paranoid ravings.

 > If you have anything
 >further to say, please do so in private email and stop wasting bandwidth.
 >
 >- Darek

 > Darek Mihocka  All views expressed are my own. If you don't like them, die.
 >  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

---jb

gt1448b@prism.gatech.EDU (David P. Forrai) (10/21/90)

In article <58392@microsoft.UUCP> darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:

> ... Considering how many
>people responded to my posting, and how many of them used words like "ok,
>I'll bite" it proves my original statement that most people on the net are
>to cheap to consider buying commercial software, and it is only by offering
>it to them on a silver plate that they respond.

NO!  The only thing this proves is that many people tried your earlier
shareware versions of QuickST and couldn't stand all the extra bugs it
added to an already buggy TOS!  No one wants to PAY for software that
that is incompatable with any of the other software they commonly use,
even if its only ONE program.

> ... Quick ST II is one of
>the best selling pieces of software for the Atari ST, ever. That is why I
>can afford to sell it for $20 and still make a healty profit.

So despite your obvious hatred of us CHEAP SH*TS who read and post to the
net, you are still willing to boast about how Atari ST users are lining
your wallet (in addition to what ever Microsoft pays you).

> If you have anything
>further to say, please do so in private email and stop wasting bandwidth.

Yeah, it's OK for you to post large flames towards others, but not for
others to post flames towards you.

>- Darek

> Darek Mihocka  All views expressed are my own. If you don't like them, die.
>  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

I think I'll have to look into Turbo ST!

--
David P. Forrai
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt1448b

csual@warwick.ac.uk (Jas) (10/22/90)

  Don't you think this is getting just a bit out of hand? I for one use Usenet
as a major source of information on new products and what is going on in
the ST world, and if people want to let me know about their new product
it's fine by me. And if they want to let me try it out before spending $20 and
finding it's not what I want, that's even better.

  Jas.

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (10/23/90)

>Oh Darek, if only you had put in a *VALID* email adress... my mailers do not
>support uucp adressing. Anyone knows a real email adress?
>B.t.w., if you're going to mail anyone asking to anyway why not include the
>Quick ST II Challenge in it? Saves us downloading or you sending floppies.

Okay! Okay! Get ready for a drop in bandwidth...

For the benefit of those people who have been unable to send email to
me, or people that I have not been able to email The Challenge to in
return, here is a shortened 9K version of the Quick ST II Challenge.
If you wish to receive the Quick ST 2.2 Demo, please fill out the
Information Sheet at the end of this file and either email it back
or mail it by snail mail to the address below.

- Darek  (uunet!microsoft!darekm)

Take the Quick ST II (version 2.2) Challenge - ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!

  Branch Always Software
  14150 NE 20th Street, Unit 302
  Belleveue, WA 98007
  U.S.A.

  Phone: (206)-885-5893 (6pm to 12am Pacific Time, Monday to Friday)
  Orders: (206)-643-9697 (10am to 6pm Pacific Time, Monday to Friday)
  Compuserve: 73657,2714
  GEnie: DAREKM
  uucp: uunet!microsoft!darekm

  Quick ST II version 2.2 is $19.95 U.S. or less at most Atari dealers.

We are so confident about the power of our Quick ST II software
accelerator, that we are offering all Atari ST users the opportunity to
test out the latest version of Quick ST II ABSOLUTELY FREE. See for
yourself just how much faster your Atari ST, Mega ST, or Atari STE runs
with our product. We just introduced Quick ST 2.2 at the recent Atari shows
in Glendale and Washington, and the response was great! But you don't have
to be one of the lucky few people who attends an Atari show to see the
power of Quick ST 2.2 for yourself. A brand new demo is now available.

You may have seen earlier versions of Quick ST in the form of demos (such
as the demo on the May 1990 START disk, or the Quick ST 2.0 demo on various
bulletin boards), or older shareware versions of Quick ST. These old demos
and versions are fine, except that they do not show off the very latest
speed and features of Quick ST II. New features such as: 68030 support,
Moniterm and ISAC support, blitter support, fast GDOS font support, etc.

We have prepared a brand new demo, a demo of Quick ST 2.2, which is so fast
and powerful, that it leaves all other demos in the dust, even those full
speed Turbo ST demos. The Quick ST 2.2 demo runs on any ST, whether it is a
520ST, or a brand new Atari STE, a Mega ST, and even the TT! It doesn't
matter whether you have a monochrome monitor, a color monitor, a Moniterm
monitor, or have installed the Overscan modification.

Even if you are a Turbo ST user, the improved compatibility and lower
memory requirements of Quick ST 2.2 will make you throw Turbo ST away!

Features
--------

What can Quick ST II do for you? Quick ST II is a software accelerator.
When used on any Atari ST it speeds up the text and graphics operations on
the screen. Almost any text or GEM based program runs faster as a result,
making your ST perform like a much faster machine. No hardware
modifications are required! Quick ST II also has the added ability to
install custom background patterns and pictures on your desktop.

Quick ST II is very memory efficient, using 16K - 28K of memory (depending
on the configuration). An extra 32K of memory is required for the optional
installation of desktop background pictures.

Quick ST II is fully compatible with hardware accelerators such as the T16
and AdSpeed ST accelerators. When used with a hardware accelerator, Quick
ST II provides a speed increase on top of the speed increase of the
hardware accelerator. if you are lucky enough to own one, try it out!

Take the challenge!
-------------------

There are three ways to obtain the Quick ST II version 2.2 demo:

1 - if you have a modem and access to a bulletin board or online
information service such as GEnie or Compuserve, download the demo from the
Atari ST library. On GEnie, type M 476 to get to the library. On
Compuserve, type GO ATARIARTS. Download the file QST22D.ARC or QST22D.LZH,
decompress it and read the file QST22DEM.DOC for installation instructions.
The demo should appear on most services and bulletin boards shortly after
October 13, 1990. If you can't find it, ask the sysop for help.

2 - if you belong to an Atari user group, ask your club librarian for a
copy of the Quick ST 2.2 demo. Some clubs may charge a nominal fee.

3 - if you don't have a modem, or don't wish to spend money on long
distance bills or online fees, you can order the Quick ST 2.2 Demo Disk
directly from Branch Always Software. Print out and fill out the
information sheet below (or write the information down on paper).

Reviews
-------

Still not convinced? Quick ST and Quick ST II have been reviewed in almost
every Atari ST magazine in Canada, the U.S., England, and Germany. Read the
reviews in the latest ST Magazin, the June 1990 issues of Current Notes and
ST Informer, an upcoming issue of START, the April 1990 issues of PSAN and
Phoenix, and the February 1990 issue of Atari Interface Magazine.

How to order Quick ST II version 2.2:
-------------------------------------

Quick ST 2.2 can be ordered directly by credit card (VISA, Master Card, and
Discover) through Xanth Corporation. Various shipping methods are
available, including UPS, DHL, Express Mail, and First Class Mail. Call the
order line between 10am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. Most orders received
before noon will be shipped out the same day. Shipping charges will depend
on the shipping method chosen and the country being shipped to.

If ordering by mail, send a check or money order for $19.95 + shipping ($3
in Canada and the U.S., $5 elsewhere) in U.S. funds and allow 3-4 weeks for
delivery. Make all checks payable to Branch Always Software. No C.O.D's.

Ask about our Atari user group discounts and dealer prices.

A German language version of Quick ST 2.2 is now available in Germany from:

  Schutz & Wahl GbR
  Postfach 1651
  D-6070 Langen
  Germany

Please phone or write for a list of Quick ST II dealers in other countries.

How to upgrade to Quick ST 2.2:
-------------------------------

To upgrade to Quick ST 2.2 from an earlier version we MUST already have
your registration card. Take your original Quick ST or Quick ST II disk,
include the appropriate update fee, and mail it to Branch Always Software.

Please note the new upgrade prices:

$3 - If you purchased Quick ST 2.1 after August 31, 1990. If you did not
purchase it directly from us, include a copy of the receipt showing the
date and dealer name it was purchased from.

$5 - If you are upgrading from Quick ST version 2.0 or 2.1 and live in
Canada or the United States.

$10 - If you do not live in Canada or the U.S., if you are upgrading from
Quick ST version 1.8 or earlier, if you lost the original Quick ST disk, or
if it is inconvenient to send the original disk.

Starting in November, all registered users of Quick ST II and Quick Tools
will receive a periodic newsletter which gives information about updates
(such as Quick ST III), tips for using the software, answers to commonly
asked questions, and other information. To receive the newsletter, you MUST
fill out and send in the registration card that came with your Quick ST II
or Quick Tools software.

Sorry, if we do not have your registration card, we don't know about you
and you cannot upgrade and you will not receive the newsletter. So dig up
those Quick ST packages and mail in the registration cards folks!

NOTE: $5 off discount coupons which appeared this summer in various ST
magazines we valid for purchasing Quick ST 2.1 only, and cannot be used to
purchase Quick ST 2.2.

This challenge may be reprinted in newsletters. Do not change it!

   THE QUICK ST II CHALLENGE - USER INFORMATION SHEET

When ordering the free Quick ST 2.2 Demo Disk by mail, please fill out all
of the information below and mail it to:

  Branch Always Software - Demo Disk
  14150 NE 20th Street, Unit 302
  Belleveue, WA 98007
  U.S.A.

If your answer to a question is not one of the listed choices, or you wish
to add additional comments, please enclose them on a separate piece of
paper. Your information will be used for determining features in future
Quick ST updates as well as for mailings.

Your Name: _______________________________________________________________

Your address: ____________________________________________________________

Your phone number(s): ____________________________________________________

What is your main ST computer? ()520/1040 ()Mega ()STE ()TT ()Other

How much memory does it have? ()512K ()1M ()2M ()4M ()Other

Which monitors do you have? ()color ()monochrome ()Moniterm ()ISAC

What versions of TOS do you use? ()1.0 ()1.2 ()1.4 ()1.6 () TT TOS

Do you have a modem? ()No ()300 baud ()1200 baud ()2400 baud ()Other

Which online services do you use? ()Compuserve ()GEnie ()Delphi ()BIX

Do you have a printer? ()No ()Dot matrix ()Laser ()Ink Jet ()Other

Do you have a hard disk? ()No ()Atari ()Supra ()ICD ()Other

Do you have an accelerator board? ()T16 ()AdSpeed ST ()68030 ()Other

Which magazines do you read? ()START ()ST Informer ()ST Magazin ()Other

Do you wish to be placed on our newsletter mailing list? ()Yes ()No

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank Dahnke) (10/23/90)

gt1448b@prism.gatech.EDU (David P. Forrai) writes:

>>- Darek

>> Darek Mihocka  All views expressed are my own. If you don't like them, die.
>>  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007
>
>I think I'll have to look into Turbo ST!

By all means, do so. I prefer it to the ever-buggy Quick ST any day.

                                  Techno

--
| techno@zelator.UUCP   |||    Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.UUCP     / | \   Hardcore ST user !   ====================== |

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/24/90)

Will you all please can the flames?  Or at least confine them to email or
alt.flame, where they belong.  We're used to ignoring "Hardware Dave" when
he gets obviously commercial, and we're all smart enough to see through and
ignore the other "commercial" postings on here.  We don't need your help.

So just back off, okay?  Or take it email.  Don't waste my disk space with
your pompous, self-appointed net.police garbage.

Whew!  That feels better!
Ray
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (10/24/90)

I hate reading messages that say "what you said" and "what I said", and
"that is not true", and "read what I wrote".

There is a wonderful command on my news program.  It is the   K   command.
It just deposited the line

		/: *Quick ST II Challenge!/:j

in my KILL file.

Obligatory message about Atari ST:

	I like my Atari ST.  I also appreciate some of the
	excellent software that makes it worth while.
	Appreciation goes to

		Software	Author

		Uniterm		Simon Poole
		APL.68000	Philip van Cleve
		J		Roger Hui

Interesting:
It occurs to me that my current software favorites were all
mainly one person projects.

Lee Dickey

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (10/25/90)

[ I'm not including text from any of the articles on this thread to
  keep this message short.  Refer to the referenced articles if you
  haven't followed this discussion. ]

I just want to say that flaming on both sides of this "Advertising
on the net", "Atari users are cheap", and "wasting bandwidth" debate
is getting out of hand.

Often it seems that the people that complain the most about incorrect
use of the net are the very people that are getting the net for free,
and have nothing to do with paying the usenet bills.

I am the site admin for our site on the net.  The net isn't "free" to
me by a long shot; I write the checks each month. Yet I still
appreciate how much is done free-of-charge by all the upstream sites
that forward mail and news for me.  I know how much the total cost
of each message must be by the time it's sent everywhere.  But I still
feel that small "commercial announcements" are no big deal.  Anything
done in a reasonable way (short and sweet), seems perfectly OK to me.
Of course, this attitude will offend many net "purists", but I still
argue that these aren't the people paying the bills.  I certainly
should have more say about what constitutes abuse of the net than
an average reader, becasue I at least have to pay to run my site and
I pay for all its network connections.

Also, don't forget that the ST market is small.  There's only so
many developers and only so many products.  I know that if somebody
comes out with a new product, I like to see an announcement on the
net.  I am more likely to see it and read it, than if it appears
in an ST magazine.  Many small companies can't afford to advertise
large enough and often enough for me to catch their ad, so a small
net posting might be the only place I see mention of the product,
especially since the ST magazines are so awful about getting
press releases out.

On the other hand, I think Darek needs to mellow out a bit.  Those
of you that saw my postings from a few years back, may have noticed
quite a change in tone and content (I hope for better).  I know at
one time I was in a lot of KILL files :-)

Anyway, in summary, I think a few of you are jumping on Darek a little
hard, and I also think that Darek has been a little hot-headed too.
Both sides may have valid arguments, but they're getting lost in
the shouting.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "I'll forgive you Dad...  If you have
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| a breath mint."

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (10/25/90)

		Re: Quick St Challenge.
	Over the last year we have seen the Dc Desktop Demo posted to the net,
and plugged by it's author, also we've seen David Beckermeyer recommending
his own packages to users.  And we've seen no complaints about bandwidth
wasting or the death of the net as we know it.  I rather suspect that if
Darek hadn't got his foot firmly lodged in his mouth recently concerning a
reqi`uest for a program which happened to do one of the things Quick ST does,
we wouldn't be seeing any complaints now either.
	I for one like to see developers discussing their products on the
net, as it is a welcome releif from B.S. stock analysis's and inaccurate
reveiws of Mac Classic pricing.  The same goes for Darek's recommendation
of Excel.  If anyone else had recommended it, we wouldn't have heard a peep
out of anyone.  Maybe Darek could draw a lesson from this on posting style,
as as his main antagonist obviously can't learn anything from anybody.

	John Henders

AlexK@tharr.UUCP (Alex Kiernan) (11/02/90)

In article <5948@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>of each message must be by the time it's sent everywhere.  But I still
>feel that small "commercial announcements" are no big deal.  Anything
>done in a reasonable way (short and sweet), seems perfectly OK to me.
I think this one of the most sensible posts I have seen in a long
time, I work for HiSoft and often find myself in a position where I
would like to reccomend some product we have an association with, but
fell I can't even though any commercial success has absolutely no
effect on me whatsoever, I get the paid the same either way.

>On the other hand, I think Darek needs to mellow out a bit.  Those
>of you that saw my postings from a few years back, may have noticed
>quite a change in tone and content (I hope for better).  I know at
>one time I was in a lot of KILL files :-)

Having met Darek once, he strikes me as a nice guy, who has been
bitten by shareware. I realised before I got caught up in it and sold
my stuff off to publishers and then ended up working for one. But in
the end it is the small time hackers/enthusiasts (no offence intended
to anyone) who help to keep the ST market alive, so please people
don't try to turn them into martyrs.

Alex K.
(All views/opinions are, of course, my own)