[comp.sys.atari.st] meta.sys availability

simonian@x102c.ess.harris.com (simonian richard 66449) (10/31/90)

I am also interested in finding a source for the meta.sys metafile
driver (also for use with Opus charts).  I have G+Plus, which doesn't
deliver it, and WordUp and Degas Elite; neither of these programs
ship the driver.  I have no other GDOS applications.  Has anyone
reverse engineered the driver?

Rick Simonian
Harris Space Systems Corp.
simonian@x102c.ess.harris.com  or  rsimonian@nasamail.nasa.gov

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (10/31/90)

From article <4690@trantor.harris-atd.com>, by simonian@x102c.ess.harris.com (simonian richard 66449):

> I am also interested in finding a source for the meta.sys metafile
> driver (also for use with Opus charts).  I have G+Plus, which doesn't
> deliver it, and WordUp and Degas Elite; neither of these programs
> ship the driver.  I have no other GDOS applications.  Has anyone
> reverse engineered the driver?
>
> Rick Simonian

It's a real pain, isn't it, the way GDOS has, and has not, been
released.  I think there was a Meta.sys driver with Microsoft Write,
which Atari UK bundled with various machines for a while, but just
because they gave the package away free doesn't mean we can distribute
parts of it for use elsewhere, does it?

I fail to see what interest Atari can have in stopping people from, say,
saving an Opus chart as a .GEM file and importing it into a desktop
publishing program.  I suspect their answer will be that Doug Harrison
should have paid them a big fee to distribute GDOS with the program.  As
it's a shareware program, and as he was only charging $15 for it, it
clearly wasn't worth his while to do so.  Maybe there's an opportunity
for the CodeHeads to distribute a few fonts and a Meta.sys file with
G+Plus?  Simplest of all (well, maybe not, but then I'm no lawyer) would
be if Atari just distributed GDOS with every machine - it is after all
just another part of GEM.

For some reason this reminds me of Atari's policy on the distribution of
the Epson emulator for the Atari laser printer.  It was written by DMC
(from Germany, the people who wrote Calamus, I think).  In the USA,
Atari has released version 1.31 as freeware.  In the UK, Atari are
selling v1.00 for 30 pounds (just under $60 at current rates).  Now, I
bought the UK version before the USA version was released.  A friend has
since sent me the USA version and, as it seems to have fewer bugs and a
better set of fonts than the UK version, I use it.  Am I legal or not?
Would the situation be different if I hadn't bought the UK version?

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma   BITNET: grahamt%syma.sussex.ac.uk@UKACRL

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (11/01/90)

In article <3721@syma.sussex.ac.uk> grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:
>For some reason this reminds me of Atari's policy on the distribution of
>the Epson emulator for the Atari laser printer.  It was written by DMC
>(from Germany, the people who wrote Calamus, I think).  In the USA,
>Atari has released version 1.31 as freeware.

Anyone know how to obtain this?  Will Atari permit it to be placed
at atari.archive.umich.edu?

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (11/02/90)

I've got the Epson emulator...
It got it from Atari Norway, and they told me to give it to anyone
that needed it (it's possible that this is an older version, but..)

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST