[comp.sys.atari.st] Tweety Board

ins_adba@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dom Alvear) (07/18/89)

This is an idea that a friend who also has the Tweety Board came up
with, but I haven't had any contact with him, so my question goes up
here.

I'm wondering if there is a way so that I can split one of the
channels in half and then combine each half with the other two
channels.  To make things more clear let me give an example.

In installing the TB, it is suggested to combine channels A & C to one
channel and B to the other.  No that's all well and good, but is not
exactly balanced.

I figured this.  Could you split line B and combine A & B for one
channel and B & C for the other channel.  Now I know that your basic
every-day splitter would give me the effect of combining all the
channels togther, so that won't work.  What I need to know is what
should I put inline to make line B (or A or C) split into two one-way
lines?

Thanks in advance,

Dom

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (07/18/89)

In article <2085@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adba@jhunix.UUCP (Dom Alvear) writes:

>I'm wondering if there is a way so that I can split one of the
>channels in half and then combine each half with the other two
>channels.  To make things more clear let me give an example.
>
>In installing the TB, it is suggested to combine channels A & C to one
>channel and B to the other.  No that's all well and good, but is not
>exactly balanced.
>
>I figured this.  Could you split line B and combine A & B for one
>channel and B & C for the other channel.  Now I know that your basic
>every-day splitter would give me the effect of combining all the
>channels togther, so that won't work.  What I need to know is what
>should I put inline to make line B (or A or C) split into two one-way
>lines?

How about this: bring all three channels out separately.  Go to Radio
Shack and buy one of their stereo audio mixers.  Now, you can use the
pan pots to put each channel exactly where you like (in real time,
too!).  This also gives you independent level controls.

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
"Live Free; Die Anyway."
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) (11/02/90)

  Does anyone out there have a Tweety Board?

I want to get one but I would like to hear from a satisfied customer as
to how it both acheives the stereo effect and how it sounds.

Any idea on how much space the things takes up inside?  I am planning on
some space-taking upgrades to my 1040 and want to know how big the
sucker is.  Or if anyone knows if the 32K colour uprgade & 2Megs of
SIMMS & the Tweety Board will conflict....I don`t have a RF thingy in
there but the space does come in handy....

Also...is there ANY way I can upgrade to a 16Mhz 68000 and NOT lose
Spectrum?  Can I piggyback the puppies and just use a physical switch to
toggle between them?

--
| "Trust, faith, understanding, reasonableness,& respect have been more|
| effective in tearing down a concrete wall than the barbed wire,      |

In article <1990Nov2.053703.22616@isc.rit.edu> drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) writes:
>  Does anyone out there have a Tweety Board?

I've got one in my Mega.

>I want to get one but I would like to hear from a satisfied customer as
>to how it both acheives the stereo effect and how it sounds.

It would be worthwhile if more software took advantage of it. What it does
is very simple. The ST sound chip produces 3 separate channels of sound. The
3 channels are combined in the ST before being fed to the audio-out line.
The Tweety Board is mainly a set of small amplifiers, and a piggyback clip.
The clip fits over the sound chip, and taking the lines for the 3 sound
channels and amplifying them, then feeding it out to 3 RCA jacks. It's not
stereo unless the software written for it is stereo. Some games are OK with
it, but usually it destroys digitized sound.

>Any idea on how much space the things takes up inside?  I am planning on
>some space-taking upgrades to my 1040 and want to know how big the
>sucker is.  Or if anyone knows if the 32K colour uprgade & 2Megs of
>SIMMS & the Tweety Board will conflict....I don`t have a RF thingy in
>there but the space does come in handy....

The clip is the same size as the sound chip, and has a 6 inch flat ribbon
cable leading to the amplifier board. That board is about 2 inches by 3
inches, and about 1/2 inch tall. See what you think...

>Also...is there ANY way I can upgrade to a 16Mhz 68000 and NOT lose
>Spectrum?  Can I piggyback the puppies and just use a physical switch to
>toggle between them?

Two ways - the ICD accelerator lets you run at 8MHz as well as 16. Sounds
like lots of people are happy with it, though on GEnie Jim Allen has been
hinting that there's a design flaw in the ICD upgrade. (Apparently something
Jim encountered when designing the T16, but he hasn't been too explicit.)
There is also now an add-on for the T16 called a Whoa-Boy, which will slow
the T16 down to 8MHz and make Spectrum stuff work again.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/04/90)

drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) writes:

- Also...is there ANY way I can upgrade to a 16Mhz 68000 and NOT lose
- Spectrum?  Can I piggyback the puppies and just use a physical
- switch to toggle between them?

ICD's new ADSpeed 16Mhz 68000 upgrade allows this.  The switch is in
the form of a desk accessory (and I think an AUTO folder version too)
so you can view Spectrum 512 pics.  The 16Mhz may also support
Spectrum 512 without having to switch, but I'm not sure.

--
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0