[comp.sys.atari.st] Gulam, Unixtkit, and diff

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (11/06/90)

Well, now that I have a hard drive :-) I have had a chance to explore Gulam.
This is a really neat program!  I also am very impressed with the binaries
from the unixtkit (both of these available from atari.archive).  By merging
these two together I have managed to come up with a reasonably complete Un*x
like shell for my ST.  The one program that neither has that I really miss
is diff.  Does anyone know of such a program for the ST?  By the way, thanks
to all for responding to my question about less.ttp.  It is great, and displays
the man pages for unixtkit quite nicely.

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (11/08/90)

In <607@fsucs.UUCP> boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu writes:

>Well, now that I have a hard drive :-) I have had a chance to explore Gulam.
>This is a really neat program!  I also am very impressed with the binaries
>from the unixtkit (both of these available from atari.archive).  By merging
>these two together I have managed to come up with a reasonably complete Un*x
>like shell for my ST.  The one program that neither has that I really miss
>is diff.  Does anyone know of such a program for the ST?  By the way, thanks
>to all for responding to my question about less.ttp.  It is great, and displays
>the man pages for unixtkit quite nicely.

This is pretty much the way I've been running for a long time, too.
I started with these and replaced modules as better ones became available.

Beware that some of the UnixTKit programs have bugs or just plain don't work.
I don't remember all of them, but make sure that you give each one a good
workout before trusting it. The only one I recall not working
right now is 'od'. I think the 'sort' and 'sed' are a little buggy
as well, but my memory is vague on that. I only know that I replaced
them with GNU equivalents.

There is a diff that works fine on panarthea.

You should also get one of the 'cat' replacements for gulam.
--
Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134