[comp.sys.atari.st] Turbo16 software question

TS0026@ohstvma.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Mike Fidler) (11/04/90)

I am looking for the alleged software that can be used to switch my
Turbo16 (Fast Technology) to/from 16 Mz/8Mz operation.  I found a
couple of programs on Compuserve but they only work to change the
speed at boot time and only for a single program (game) booted.
There was supposed to be an accessory for this but I can't find it.
Any help out there?

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Michael (Mike) L. Fidler              (Internet): mlf+@osu.edu
Associate Director for Networking     (BITNET):   mlf+@ohstmail
The Ohio State University
Instruction & Research Computer Center
1971 Neil Avenue - Rm 406             Voice: 614-292-4843
Columbus, OHio  43210-1210            FAX:   614-292-7081

keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves) (11/08/90)

In article <9011051457.AA28791@right.magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> TS0026@ohstvma.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Mike Fidler) writes:
>I am looking for the alleged software that can be used to switch my
>Turbo16 (Fast Technology) to/from 16 Mz/8Mz operation.  I found a
>couple of programs on Compuserve but they only work to change the
>speed at boot time and only for a single program (game) booted.
>There was supposed to be an accessory for this but I can't find it.
>Any help out there?
>
> -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
>Michael (Mike) L. Fidler              (Internet): mlf+@osu.edu
>Associate Director for Networking     (BITNET):   mlf+@ohstmail
>The Ohio State University
>Instruction & Research Computer Center
>1971 Neil Avenue - Rm 406             Voice: 614-292-4843
>Columbus, OHio  43210-1210            FAX:   614-292-7081

There is indeed a tos program in addition to an accessary that will
allow you to change the clock rate of your Turbo16 board from 8 to
16 Mz. The program/tos version can either be run from the autofolder
or the desktop.  However, your board must be properly wired/connected
for these programs/accessary to work.  There is a terminal on the
board (Turbo16) that must have a jumper from I believe pin 39 of the
Yamaha sound chip installed.  Without that jumper , your board can
only run at 16Mz.  I will check to see if programs have been uploaded
to any of the archive sites.

                             Keith Groves

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (11/08/90)

In article <9011051457.AA28791@right.magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> TS0026@ohstvma.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Mike Fidler) writes:
>I am looking for the alleged software that can be used to switch my
>Turbo16 (Fast Technology) to/from 16 Mz/8Mz operation.  I found a
>couple of programs on Compuserve but they only work to change the
>speed at boot time and only for a single program (game) booted.
>There was supposed to be an accessory for this but I can't find it.
>Any help out there?

As far as I know, the T16 doesn't have a true 8 MHz mode. The cache can be
toggled on and off, but the speed remains at 16MHz.

The AdSpeed ST board from ICD (same price, just faster) has a true 8MHz
mode that is compatible with programs like Spectrum 512, etc.

- Darek