[comp.sys.atari.st] screen savers

TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) (05/11/89)

Speaking of screen savers....
I can't fathom why they all want to grab that extra 32K of RAM
to blank the screen.  Isn't it enough to just zero out the pallet
adn then restore it when it comes time to "unblank"?  What am
I missing here?  (besides the possible color/mono conflict)
Can't somebody come up with a auto-folder screen saver that takes
up just a few bytes?
-=->G<-=-
| Gordon R. Meyer, Northern Illinois University, Dept of Sociology |
| GEnie: GRMEYER, CIS: 72307,1502, Phone: (815) 753-0555           |
| Bitnet: Tee-Kay-Zero-Gee-Are-Em-One AT Enn-Eye-You.bitnet        |

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (05/11/89)

In article <8905110734.AA12784@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) writes:
> I can't fathom why they all want to grab that extra 32K of RAM
> to blank the screen.  Isn't it enough to just zero out the pallet
> and then restore it when it comes time to "unblank"?

This works fine for color systems, but not monochrome.  In the
monochrome system, one bit in the pallette controls whether the video
should be normal or inverted (I guess it is XORed with the video), but
there is no way to make it all black.  I guess that was easier than
using the pallette as they do in color, but it seems unfortunate.  If
they had used pallette entries 0 and 1, then you could have written zero
to both of them and blanked the screen easily.
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

glk287@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (05/13/89)

	I have the source for a few-byte screen saver, but can't
	get my Assempro to assemble it.  It works on the concept of
	flipping some V-extern or something.  If you're interested,
	e-mail me.  The error I get is on the line

	CMP.L	(a0)+,(a1)+

	which seems legal to me but gives a <EA> not allowed error.

	-Spieu!

glk287@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (05/15/89)

/* Written  6:54 pm  May 12, 1989 by glk287@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */

	I have the source for a few-byte screen saver, but can't
	get my Assempro to assemble it.  It works on the concept of
	flipping some V-extern or something.  If you're interested,
	e-mail me.  The error I get is on the line

	CMP.L	(a0)+,(a1)+

	which seems legal to me but gives a <EA> not allowed error.

	-Spieu!

/* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.atari.st */

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (05/17/89)

In article <46300042@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> glk287@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>	..........  The error I get is on the line
>
>	CMP.L	(a0)+,(a1)+
>
>	which seems legal to me but gives a <EA> not allowed error.

Maybe you should try:
	cmpm.l (a0)+,(a1)+

		That's a *memory* compare - a special command. I think most
	assemblers should convert between the cmp and the *strict* cmpm.

>	-Spieu!

Dave.

PS - The instruction cmpm may not actually exist. It's 10:30pm and I'm tired
     so my brain may be making up 68000 assembly language!!!

--
% cc life.c                      | David Clear <dac@ukc.ac.uk>
% a.out                          | Computer Science, University of Kent,

steveg@SPARTA.COM (Steve Goldstein) (06/01/89)

With all the current discussion about screen savers and the methods they
use (some supposedly not so safe/good for mono monitors...), I have the
following question:

	Is anyone else out there using the freeware screen saver from OSS?
	If so, can you tell me what method it's using (turning off video
	signal or playing with color palette?).
	I've got a Mega 4 and both monitors.

verwer@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Nico Verwer) (06/02/89)

If I remember well, the problem with idle1.2 on monochrome systems is
that it sometimes can't find an area in memory filled with zeroes.
In that case idle just reverses black and white instead of turning off
the display. My suggestion is the following: Somewhere high up in
memory there is a region that seems to be filled with FFFF. Actually
these are the cartridge port addresses. Is it possible to write a screen
saver that maps the video ram to this area and changes the palette so that
a 1 is displayed as a black pixel? Of course this cannot work with
something connected to the cartridge port, but it would do for many
ST-users. A possible problem could be that the pointer in the video-chip
can only be made to point to the first 4 meg. Even on < 4 meg systems
this is a problem, since this area of memory looks like it is filled
with something like f0BA.
Suggestions, anybody?

   /|  /           University of Utrecht, Dept. of Computer Science
  / | /            VOICE: +31-30-533921          || Postbus 80.089
 /  |/ico Verwer   INTERNET: verwer@cs.ruu.nl    || 3508 TB Utrecht
                   UUCP: ...!hp4nl!ruuinf!verwer || the Netherlands

depeche@QUICHE.CS.MCGILL.CA (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) (11/08/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: Re: Screen Blankers

In article <3732@mindlink.UUCP> a1318@mindlink.UUCP (Kent Cavaghan) writes:

>Hi Chris,I was running into the same problem as far as the com port and ST
>Blank goes.I think,and I'm probably wrong about this,that any blanker that
>displays would interupt the com port.Least ways ,I haven't found one yet that
>works.

there is a newer version of stblank  - 1.3.1 which does detect com port
output (not input, mind you, but fortunately all protocol transfers send
out something from time to time even if they are receiving.)
It works great - I'm using it now.

>What I do use is Maccel 3,this works nicely in colour(don't know about
>mono),and the blanker that comes with Ramplus ver.122. Ramplus's blanker is
>just a colour alternator but it works well and I've had no problems with it
>blanking for extended periods of time(up to 24 hrs,others I've had lock up on
>me).

where can I get maccel 3?

--
|S. Alan Ezust                                |  depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca|
|McGill University School of Computer Science |  Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |