[comp.sys.atari.st] diff files

clive@aldetec.oz.au (Clive Salvidge) (11/06/90)

Not wishing to sound too dumb....
But what are you ment to do with .dif files....

puzzled - (what magic utility merges them?)
..Clive

Clive Salvidge   ACSnet : clive@aldetec.oz | Internet :  clive@aldetec.oz.au
Aldetec Pty Ltd.                 Voice    :  +61-9-4451888   0900 - 1700 WST
_____________< Got to think of something to put in here! >________________

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (11/07/90)

++   Not wishing to sound too dumb....
++   But what are you ment to do with .dif files....

++   puzzled - (what magic utility merges them?)
++   ..Clive

I feel it's worth posting a public answer, as it's a non-Gem area really.

Diff files represent the difference between two (text, usually) files.

This a common way of distributing optional patches to sources.

If a diff file represents a set of patches (sometimes across a number of
files) the patches can be automagically applied using Larry Wall's "patch"
program --- patch < source.dif. Both diff and patch are available on
atari.archive.umich.edu

The tos/minix ports of GNU C are embodied in a diff file. Which leads me on ...

Graham (puzzled?, wait till you *use* it!)

roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar &) (11/08/90)

In article <287@aldetec.oz.au> clive@aldetec.oz.au (Clive Salvidge) writes:
> But what are you ment to do with .dif files....
>  puzzled - (what magic utility merges them?)

What you are looking for is Larry Wall's patch program. This utility
takes an old file and a diff against the new version as input and
recreates the new version as output.
The source and a st binary can be found for example on cs.uni-sb.de
[134.96.7.254].

> ..Clive

	Hope this helps!

		- Edgar

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (11/09/90)

Diff files which might look like .dif on an Atari ST (mine are usually
.pat or .pt2, etc.) are handled by PATCH.TTP.  I have already
discussed its existence some time back in comp.sys.atari.st
<RALPH.90Jul24142739@cresus.laas.fr>:

| By the way, do you STers ever use `patch' on your ST to update
| sources from USENET?  I recently used it to update Sozobon 1.2
| according to the patches posted in comp.sys.atari.st.  It's great!  It
| was ported by John R. Dunning.  Maybe someone should post an updated
| version to the net.

May I remind you folks:  IT'S GREAT!!!!

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (11/10/90)

After 3 weeks sweating to get NetNews support in out lab, I finally get
it working.....and 1 month later---our main mail-serving machine, the one
I was getting my NNTP newsfeed from, goes public with NetNews for all its
users to use!!  Isn't that the way it always works with computers??

        Anyway, the purpose of this posting is to see if anyone can steer
me to an alternate source for the GNU-C ATARI<->Sun cross-compiler.  As we
all seem to have discovered, Jwahar Bammi seems to have been transported
out of this galaxy by aliens looking to use his prolific programming skills
for their own purposes (in other words, he hasn't been heard from on the
net in a long time ) and he maintained the complete set of programs I needed.

        Could some kind soul please point me in another direction for this
information??  FTP is the prefered means of getting the files!

Capt Jeff Long
longj@lonex.radc.af.mil  or jlong@cassiopeia.radc.af.mil

PS: the purpose of this repost is to make sure the transition locally of
the News program didn't keep my last plea for help from making it outside
of our own local domain.