[comp.sys.atari.st] Should I switch to Minix St?

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (11/10/90)

I have read the info sheet on Minix ST 1.5 from comp.os.minix, but
I still have a couple of reservations. People like David Beckemeyer and
Eric Smith have been working very hard to stretch TOS to its limits,
but TOS is not (and will never be) Unix. I'm wondering if, instead of
spending all my time getting everything to run under MiNT, I should
just take a couple of partitions (I have 115 MB of disk space now)
and install Minix ST.

How many of you are using Minix? I know that there have been many
improvements in the new version. Minix is supposed to be V7 compatible.
Does that mean that -DBsd in a cc command line is enough to compile
Unix code for Minix? Is job control possible? Is this a stupid idea?
I'd hate to have to shell out $200 (Canadian, approximately) for Minix,
but I guess it's really quite cheap.

Please post your comments if you think that they are of general interest
(anyone who doesn't like this thread doesn't have to read it), or
mail them to me if you think they are not. Thank you.

David Megginson

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

In article <1990Nov9.182852.14628@doe.utoronto.ca> david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:
>I have read the info sheet on Minix ST 1.5 from comp.os.minix, but
>I still have a couple of reservations. People like David Beckemeyer and
>Eric Smith have been working very hard to stretch TOS to its limits,
>but TOS is not (and will never be) Unix. I'm wondering if, instead of
>spending all my time getting everything to run under MiNT, I should
>just take a couple of partitions (I have 115 MB of disk space now)
>and install Minix ST.

I set aside 50 meg of disk for Minix on my system, and I'm finding that
it's at least 30 meg of wasted space. The applications I want to run
have all been written for TOS, and it's a lot of effort to support both
TOS and Minix simultaneously. I am probably going to trim the Minix stuff
off sometime soon. (Maybe not entirely, but who knows. I haven't booted
it up in months...)

>How many of you are using Minix? I know that there have been many
>improvements in the new version. Minix is supposed to be V7 compatible.
>Does that mean that -DBsd in a cc command line is enough to compile
>Unix code for Minix? Is job control possible? Is this a stupid idea?
>I'd hate to have to shell out $200 (Canadian, approximately) for Minix,
>but I guess it's really quite cheap.

BSD is several generations beyond plain 7th Edition Unix. ST Minix is
a pretty good clone of V7, but not enough to make things that easy. Both
BSD and SysV Unix are derived from V7, but generally it seems to be easier
to port SysV flavor programs to Minix. It takes a fair bit of editing,
regardless. There are a lot of good ideas in Minix, but performance-wise
I think TOS is still faster. I'm kind of torn between working on MiNT
and RTX and adding new features to Minix, but I think since MiNT and RTX
allow me to continue using things like Uniterm, I'm eventually going to
give up on Minix.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!