[comp.sys.atari.st] Are there any original screen blankers out there?

n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) (11/09/90)

	While we're on the thread of screen blankers....

	I have seen a screen saver for the IBM which places a image of
a computerized fish tank on the screen, and fish go back and forth on
it.  When a big fish "hits" a smaller fish, it eats the smaller fish
and grows bigger.  The whole effect is rather addictive- esp. at wee
hours in the morning when one's brain has turned to slush.

	All of the screen savers I have seen simply turn the screen
off, with the exception of one I got out of STart (ST-log?) which
shoots off little "fireworks" on the screen.  Slightly more
interesting, but still quite boring compared to some of the other
screen savers I've seen on other programs.

	Has anyone seen any more imaginative screen savers out for the
Atari? I don't care if they are commercial, shareware, or PD.

	An interesting screen saver would be an old, old program that
I believe was made by Activision called "The Little People" or
something similar to that.  It basically created an electronic
dollhouse, where the user would interact with the programmed "dolls"
moving around the place.  It was really an interesting program; does
anyone out there have it and be willing to part with it?

	Thanx in advance,

     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
    *           *			   GEnie: P.PEDERSON
     ****       *		           Voice: (206) 676-2536
	 *      *
    *****       *
     +++++      +
	  +	+	'I' before 'E' except after 'C'....
       +++	 +
      +		 +		... We sure live in a weird society!
       +++++   ++++++

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.223453.897@unicorn.wwu.edu> n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) writes:

>	While we're on the thread of screen blankers....
>
>	All of the screen savers I have seen simply turn the screen
>off, with the exception of one I got out of STart (ST-log?) which
>shoots off little "fireworks" on the screen.  Slightly more
>interesting, but still quite boring compared to some of the other
>screen savers I've seen on other programs.
>
>	Has anyone seen any more imaginative screen savers out for the
>Atari? I don't care if they are commercial, shareware, or PD.
>

>     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
I found a screen saver called IDLE that has a neat display:
blinking stars with a spinning, bouncing fuji symbol.  It can
run as an .acc or a .prg...  Unfortunately I don't use it
because although there is a way to set certain parameters, I
could never get the parameters set so that it wouldn't
interfer with the com port.  Well, I think the screen looks
neat, so if anyone wants to tell how set IDLE up so that it
doesn't interfer with the com port, I'd be happy to hear it.
--Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
maxg@suvm  (bitnet)

jeroen@pluto.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) (11/12/90)

Has anyone ever seen After Dark for the Macintosh? It's a screen blanker with
all the features, it's modular, so you can add your own favourite gimmick...
and on my Mac IIci the program, even without all the modules available, takes
up some 600 kB of disk space. Does this sound like a screen saver you'll want
to use on a daily basis? Nope.

I'm glad on the ST there still are screen savers that only use 120 bytes of
memory, that don't need half your hard disk, that don't waste 20% of your
computer time...

I now, it's me, I have a bug about these things... I'd like programmers to
spend
their precious time on other (useful?) things; there's lots and lots of work to
be done yet out there of a higher priority, I think.

Let's not quarrel over screen savers when even the ultimate word processor is
not available.