[comp.sys.atari.st] Darek M - a warning

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank Dahnke) (10/29/90)

Today I received an email of 50K despite the plea in my .sig that no
mail be sent to me from outside Germany. The contents ? A short notice
by Darek Mihoka (sp ?) saying that I probably haden't even tried his
software, so to help me along, he included the first part of his piece
of coding in the message. Now, this in itself is an insult (I know
Quick ST and I know why I use Turbo ST), but what makes me really
*ANGRY* is this: I HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERY KB OF EMAIL I RECEIVE !!!
That is the reason for the relevant line in my .sig (emails inside
Germany is free) and thus Dareks misbehavior COST ME $12 !!!

Miserable salesmanship and a dirty way of dealing with potential
customers, if you ask me.

                       Infuriated,

                                Techno

--
| techno@zelator.UUCP   |||    Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.UUCP     / | \   Hardcore ST user !   ====================== |

ge@wn3.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (11/07/90)

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank Dahnke) writes:

]Today I received an email of 50K despite the plea in my .sig that no
]mail be sent to me from outside Germany. The contents ? A short notice
]by Darek Mihoka (sp ?) saying that I probably haden't even tried his
]software, so to help me along, he included the first part of his piece
]of coding in the message. Now, this in itself is an insult (I know
]Quick ST and I know why I use Turbo ST), but what makes me really
]*ANGRY* is this: I HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERY KB OF EMAIL I RECEIVE !!!
]That is the reason for the relevant line in my .sig (emails inside
]Germany is free) and thus Dareks misbehavior COST ME $12 !!!

If you go along with a scheme that makes you pay for receiving mail
you don't want you have only yourself to blame.
It's like giving someone your credit card with the
4-digit PIN code. You are even more to blame for hiding
the fact that you don't want to receive messages from outside the BRD
inside a LOUD signature which everyone would skip. Put it at the
TOP of each message.

Ge' Weijers
--
Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)

ebinger@num2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Werner Ebinger) (11/12/90)

In article <2416@wn1.sci.kun.nl> ge@wn3.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) writes:
>techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Frank Dahnke) writes:
>
>]Today I received an email of 50K despite the plea in my .sig that no
>]mail be sent to me from outside Germany. The contents ? A short notice
>]Germany is free) and thus Dareks misbehavior COST ME $12 !!!
>
>It's like giving someone your credit card with the
>4-digit PIN code. You are even more to blame for hiding

I think it's just like publishing your Fax -number and receiving
illegal advertising. You don't have to pay the sender's phone bill,
but your own fax paper. This is one of the reasons why advertising
via Fax is illegal.

>inside a LOUD signature which everyone would skip. Put it at the
>TOP of each message.

I think the signature is the right place, but big signatures are bad.

>--
>Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
>Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
>University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1
>6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands              tel. +3180652483 (UTC-2)

University members (like me) my have the imagination, that email is free.
But there are people who have to pay for mail (outgoing and incoming), if
they want email access. We should respect this.

Werner Ebinger
--
Werner Ebinger                      ebinger@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
IfI Uni Stuttgart, Azenbergstr 12, D 7000 Stuttgart 1 Tel 0711/121-1401