[comp.sys.atari.st] Spreadsheet for the atari ST

si0_tb90020@debet.nhh.no (11/01/90)

I would like to know if there exists a reasonale spreadsheet for the
Atari ST. I am in the way of doing some serious work, apart from
programming, and I would like a good spreadsheet.

I have looked at an older version of K-spread II, and it didn't suit my
needs, to be frank, it was lousy. I need something in the class of
Lotus 123, Microsoft Excel, or Wingz. If there are no such spreadsheets
around, I'll install MINIX on my ST for good, and buy myselfe a Mac for
serious work.

terjeb@eik.ii.uib.no     -     si0_tb90020@debet.nhh.no

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/01/90)

-
- I have looked at an older version of K-spread II, and it didn't
- suit my needs, to be frank, it was lousy. I need something in the
-  class of Lotus 123, Microsoft Excel, or Wingz.

LDW Power looks like a pretty good Lotus 123 clone.  You can have
multiple spreadsheets, macros, etc.  There's also a great shareware
spreadsheet called Opus.  The latest version I have is 2.31.  If you
or anyone wants me to send it to atari.archive, let me know.  A
friend of mine who uses spreadsheets and databases a lot loves Opus;
and consistent with the shareware philosophy, he sent his fee.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.190456.268@debet.nhh.no> si0_tb90020@debet.nhh.no writes:
>I would like to know if there exists a reasonale spreadsheet for the
>Atari ST. I am in the way of doing some serious work, apart from
>programming, and I would like a good spreadsheet.

There are several decent spreadsheets.  I use VIP Professional and am
happy with it.  It is compatible with Lotus v. 1, and I hear that some
of the other spreadsheets offer v. 2 compatibility.  VIP is available
in both GEM and 1-2-3 look-alike versions.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

pete@minster.york.ac.uk (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.190456.268@debet.nhh.no> si0_tb90020@debet.nhh.no writes:
>I would like to know if there exists a reasonale spreadsheet for the
>Atari ST. I am in the way of doing some serious work, apart from
>programming, and I would like a good spreadsheet.
>
>I have looked at an older version of K-spread II, and it didn't suit my
>needs, to be frank, it was lousy. I need something in the class of
>Lotus 123, Microsoft Excel, or Wingz. If there are no such spreadsheets
>around, I'll install MINIX on my ST for good, and buy myselfe a Mac for
>serious work.
>
>terjeb@eik.ii.uib.no     -     si0_tb90020@debet.nhh.no

Versions of Logistix (a popular PC spreadsheet) have been available for the
ST for some time. There is also VIP Professional (a 1-2-3 clone, but with
GEM graphics);  I haven't seen this around for some time but it IS good and
it does handle 1-2-3 data properly.

Actually I think you'd be better off installing Minix and buying the Mac,
because Minix is more fun!

	Pete (pete@minster.york.ac.uk)

shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/03/90)

>>I would like to know if there exists a reasonale spreadsheet for the
>>Atari ST. I am in the way of doing some serious work, apart from
>>programming, and I would like a good spreadsheet.

I've been using VIP PROFESSIONAL for some years now; it is very good,
BUT SLOW!  I have transferred files from it to LOTUS, and from LOTUS to
it, and have had no compatability problems.  It is too bad they have not
updated it to verion 2 as LDW Power has.  (I've been debating purchasing
it for the version 2 facilities and for a supposedly dramatic increase in
speed.)

Steve Shawl
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (11/03/90)

In article <26468.27316f3d@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I've been using VIP PROFESSIONAL for some years now; it is very good,
>BUT SLOW!  I have transferred files from it to LOTUS, and from LOTUS to
>it, and have had no compatability problems.  It is too bad they have not
>updated it to verion 2 as LDW Power has.  (I've been debating purchasing
>it for the version 2 facilities and for a supposedly dramatic increase in
>speed.)

The text version of VIP is faster because it doesn't have to update a
full GEM screen.  However, I have found that any of several ways of
speeding up screen redraws make the perfromance of the GEM version quite
satisfactory.

I have LDW Power but haven't used it much, since I find that installing
GDOS fonts for all kinds of incompatible packages is a drag.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577
UUCP=..!{uunet|watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
BITNET=bill%biomel%dalcs@dalac	InterNet=bill%biomel@cs.dal.ca

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (11/04/90)

Oh my, could it be that VIP PRO *AND* LDW are on Lotus' hit list?
Hey, anyone got a copyright on the 26 character alphabit?
Yeah, sounds silly, so does the rulin' by that ignorant judge!

Ed June

eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) (11/07/90)

For what it's worth, I use _Analyze!_  It's inexpensive, and it works well.
It supports GDOS for printing graphs and does it well, it's got macros, it can
save/load Lotus 1-2-3 files (although I've never tried it), does most of
the Lotus functions. Because it uses GEM, movement around the sheet can be
sort of slow, but for the price (<$35), it's not bad. I use it alot for doing
labs! (ARRRGH!)

Eric HOBBS!
eahsnsr@JUPITER.nmt.edu

gcarter@globey.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (11/09/90)

Well, if you really want to know....

If you want serious work, good god man, buy a Spectre GCR.  You can run Wingz,
Excel, and many other spreadsheets for the MAC.  And take the work with you
the next morning...(Gosh, am I the only that doesn't do real work on the GCR?).

I think most people will tell you on here, back me up people, the Spectre can
do very serious work in spreadsheets, dtp, and even games.

--Gregory

NO fancy footer, just a PUNY undergrad, this account self destructs each
semester!

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (11/10/90)

> I think most people will tell you on here, back me up people, the Spectre can
> do very serious work in spreadsheets, dtp, and even games.

Yo.  Like the man says.

Regards
Ray "ooh!  tough guy!" Depew
IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
"not hardly.  you should see him in person."
----------

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (11/13/90)

++ I think most people will tell you on here, back me up people, the Spectre
++ can do very serious work in spreadsheets, dtp, and even games.

spreadsheets, yes
dtp, yes
programming environments, yes
graphics, yes
hi-level programming, yes

games, games !?!? --- ST games are *much* better!!

Cheers

Gray
====