[comp.sys.atari.st] HD controllers

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <691@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:

>About a month ago I went up to Berekely MicroSystems to buy one of their hard
>disk controllers and adaptor boards, I have been happy as a clam with them
>since. First what are they;
>
>	the controller board is a standard Adaptec 4000 hard disk controller
>	the price BMS asked was in line with the street price (~ $115)
>
>	(this is the exciting part) the adaptor board converts the atari DMA
>	format to SCSI (~ $135)
>
>so whats so exciting ? 2 things; 1) the controller board has a real time clock
>builtin with battery backup builtin and 2) GET THIS the new release of the HDX
>program (which i am still waiting for (you listening chris ???)) supports 2
>count them 2 hard disks per controller. to the best of my knowledge neither
>Supra nor atari can do that, in fact i believe that you need the mythical
>octaplex to support more than 1 HD.

This sounds pretty good, but I have a couple of other questions:

	1.  How does such a board interface to the ST?  Does it fit
internally or plug into the DMA port and stick out the back?

	2.  What is the approximate cost?  Do you have to have both of the
above boards or are they combined?  Also, what are some good HDs that can
be used with an SCSI interface, such that the total cost of the board and
general SCSI drive would cost about the same as an Atari or Supra drive?

	3.  Since Atari markets a disk drive that plugs into the DMA port
and will hopefully fix the HD support in TOS soon (no more 40 folder, I hope),
will future software releases somehow not work with SCSI.  (Maybe this is
a naive question)

From what I've seen in Byte, there are a lot of HDs for the IBM that cost a
lot less than the $600+ currently charged for some type of drive for the
ST.  I hope this board can offer a few more options.

-Bart
atwell@utah-cs

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (11/23/86)

> In article <691@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
>
> >About a month ago I went up to Berekely MicroSystems to buy one of their hard
> >disk controllers and adaptor boards, I have been happy as a clam with them
> >since. First what are they;
> >
> >	the controller board is a standard Adaptec 4000 hard disk controller
> >	the price BMS asked was in line with the street price (~ $115)
> >
> >	(this is the exciting part) the adaptor board converts the atari DMA
> >	format to SCSI (~ $135)

rest of my posting deleted for brievity's sake

> This sounds pretty good, but I have a couple of other questions:
>
> 	1.  How does such a board interface to the ST?  Does it fit
> internally or plug into the DMA port and stick out the back?

neither it screws onto the hard disk itself thru a pair of adapter
rails that BMS sells for ~ $5 and the cable from the board fits into
the hard disk port in the back of the st

> 	2.  What is the approximate cost?  Do you have to have both of the
> above boards or are they combined?  Also, what are some good HDs that can
> be used with an SCSI interface, such that the total cost of the board and
> general SCSI drive would cost about the same as an Atari or Supra drive?

the costs i quoted are accurate, (they came from BMS) you need both
boards for the first drive, for the second just new cables. any disk
that is ST212 or ST506 (which is just about every disk) can be used.
most 20Mbyte disks cost about $350 + $250 for the boards = $600, but
the second disk can be added for 'cost', also don't forget the real
time clock, but what attracted me to this solution is that all i could
afford now is a 10Mbyte disk, if i want or am able to get a larger
disk later, or the disk dies or what ever, i don't have to chuck
everything and start over

> 	3.  Since Atari markets a disk drive that plugs into the DMA port
> and will hopefully fix the HD support in TOS soon (no more 40 folder, I hope),
> will future software releases somehow not work with SCSI.  (Maybe this is
> a naive question)
>
> From what I've seen in Byte, there are a lot of HDs for the IBM that cost a
> lot less than the $600+ currently charged for some type of drive for the
> ST.  I hope this board can offer a few more options.

IBM probably uses a true SCSI interface etc. hence no need for a
converter board (DMA <--> SCSI) also its a larger market, more
volume, more compitition, hence lower prices

> -Bart
> atwell@utah-cs

hope this helps
--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

daniel@hexagon.se (Daniel Deimert) (11/13/90)

I'm looking for a good SCSI controller for my 1040 STfm.  Any
suggestions?  Are there any rewiews?

Replies by e-mail. I'll summarize if something new comes up.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Deimert						      Fidonet 2:204/117
daniel@hexagon.se	                 ...!sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!daniel