[comp.sys.atari.st] Screen Res and MWC

mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) (11/10/90)

I'm still teaching myself C and I use MWC. Can some one help me with
changing the Screen Res? I want to use hotkeys to change res, does anyone
have code in MWC that will do this, and that I can have?
Matthew

--
 But I still like my ST...                            GEnie     M.DUCEY
 SOCEUR (A)                                         Bitnet    mjducey@suvm

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov9.192002.3248@rodan.acs.syr.edu> mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) writes:
>I'm still teaching myself C and I use MWC. Can some one help me with
>changing the Screen Res? I want to use hotkeys to change res, does anyone
>have code in MWC that will do this, and that I can have?
>Matthew

	I would have thought that people would have been all over you to
tell you that this is impossible.
	The XBIOS call Setscreen() will change the resolution alright, but
it will not tell the AES to change the resolution.  The AES and VDI need to
know that the resolution is being changed, and in current TOS versions, the
only time this kind of stuff is initialised is during boot-up.
	I thought of automating the desktop features via hotkeys too, but
I quickly realized that this isn't something that mere mortals were meant
to do.
	This what I know about GEM.  If what I said isn't true, please
don't hesitate to correct me.

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

jimomura@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Omura) (11/13/90)

In article <273EB9A7.6545@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.192002.3248@rodan.acs.syr.edu> mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) writes:
>>I'm still teaching myself C and I use MWC. Can some one help me with
>>changing the Screen Res? I want to use hotkeys to change res, does anyone
>>have code in MWC that will do this, and that I can have?
>>Matthew
>
>	I would have thought that people would have been all over you to
>tell you that this is impossible.
>	The XBIOS call Setscreen() will change the resolution alright, but
>it will not tell the AES to change the resolution.  The AES and VDI need to
>know that the resolution is being changed, and in current TOS versions, the
>only time this kind of stuff is initialised is during boot-up.

     I don't understand the problem.  Why will the AES and VDI need
to be reinitialized in the other resolution and more than that, why
can't you just 'appl_exit()' and then 'appl_init()' again if it's
necessary?  I've just finished adding a resolution change in a
program to do graphics and I wrote information to the screen without
problems, so that much seems to work ok.  As for the mouse routines,
I don't know how they'll react.  I haven't gotten that far yet.
Is it the windowing subroutines that'll muck up?

Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
lsuc!jimomura

mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) (11/14/90)

Well thankfully nobody is "all over me" for my QUESTION. I did get help,
and cleared up.  If someone could explain how I can run microemacs in
low res and then end up in med res till I'm done editing, I'd be happier.