[comp.sys.atari.st] SliccTop: What is it?

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (11/10/90)

I'm seeing vague references to yet another ST multitasker on the
Citadel BBS network. The name is SliccTop, and it supposedly
multitasks GEM and TOS programs. If anyone has further info,
especially a press release, I'd appreciate receiving a copy.

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/10/90)

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:

- I'm seeing vague references to yet another ST multitasker on the
- Citadel BBS network. The name is SliccTop, and it supposedly
- multitasks GEM and TOS programs. If anyone has further info,
- especially a press release, I'd appreciate receiving a copy.

I saw it at San Jose WOA.  It wasn't much at the time, but it seems
like he's (forget his name) fixed it up since then, from what I've
heard.  It wasn't doing anything at the show, and I don't even think
he had multitasking implemented then.  It was one of things that
"will have this and that."  The desktop was pretty plain-looking, but
I guess he had something special under the hood.

I just pulled out the flyers I got at the show, and he calls it
"priority-tasking," not multitasking.  If you want, Steve, send me a
SASE and I'll make a copy of the two flyers for you to drool on. :^)
Leave me e-mail for my address.  And I'll be away Thanksgiving week.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (11/11/90)

> I'm seeing vague references to yet another ST multitasker on the
> Citadel BBS network. The name is SliccTop, and it supposedly
> multitasks GEM and TOS programs. If anyone has further info,
> especially a press release, I'd appreciate receiving a copy.

The last ST Report had a press release. The brief intro to the press
release raved about how this went beyond RTX and MiNT by providing
multitasking to GEM programs. Curiously, though, the press release itself
says:

 ...  "TOS" and "TTP" programs are a special case.  Without SLICCDOS
 installed, queued processing is suspended while "TOS" and "TTP" programs
 are executing.  With SLICCDOS installed, "TOS" and "TTP" programs run
 directly on the desktop in user sizable windows; and queued processing
 continues just as it would for any desktop application.

[ "Another product, SLICCDOS, which will be released in 4 to 5 months,
will completely replace the file management system on the Atari." from
earlier in the press release ]

 ...   Yes, now there is true multitasking on ATARI . . . and a system far
 superior to any other in the marketplace.  But, that does not  mean that
 your system is now capable of executing multiple Atari programs
 concurrently.  Many of the developers who designed software for use on the
 Atari have designed it in such a way as to prevent efficient multitasking,
 and in some cases, even made their software totally incompatible  with a
 multitasking system by use of what may be termed as system-hacking
 technology.
 ... To avoid the disasters of system crashes resulting from attempting
 to multitask conflicting hacker software, SLICCWARE has chosen to run the
 entire Atari operating system as though it were a single task.  To further
 avoid problems, the major operating system functions such as disk access
 and window control are constantly monitored, even if the major portion of
 SLICCTOP has been swapped out at the user's request while an Atari program
 is executing.  The result, the user may only run one Atari program at a
 time.  He may, however, run that program while queued processing is taking
 place.

In other words, SLICCTOP doesn't multitask ANY Atari programs! What it
does seem to provide are background file copies, disk formatting, and
printing. Modules are promised to do other applications in the background;
but the bottom line is that you have to buy these modules from SLICCWARE.
You can't do a compile in the background and play a game in the foreground
unless either the compiler or the game is written specifically for SLICCTOP.

This, of course, can be very useful; but it's hardly a new situation. RTX
and MiNT both provide essentially the same facilities, with the added
bonus of not requiring you to buy another product 4 or 5 months from now
to multitask TOS and TTP programs.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov10.081704.7494@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>
>- I'm seeing vague references to yet another ST multitasker on the
>- Citadel BBS network. The name is SliccTop, and it supposedly
>- multitasks GEM and TOS programs. If anyone has further info,
>- especially a press release, I'd appreciate receiving a copy.
>I saw it at San Jose WOA.  It wasn't much at the time, but it seems
>like he's (forget his name) fixed it up since then, from what I've
>heard.  It wasn't doing anything at the show, and I don't even think
>he had multitasking implemented then.  It was one of things that
>"will have this and that."  The desktop was pretty plain-looking, but
>I guess he had something special under the hood.
>I just pulled out the flyers I got at the show, and he calls it
>"priority-tasking," not multitasking.  If you want, Steve, send me a
>SASE and I'll make a copy of the two flyers for you to drool on. :^)
>Leave me e-mail for my address.  And I'll be away Thanksgiving week.
>         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
>   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
>   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
>  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0
Better yet, Ed, why not post the address of (forgot his name)
and that way everyone can get the info...that is, of course,
if there is some sort of contact address on the flyers.
--Gerry

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/11/90)

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

- Better yet, Ed, why not post the address of (forgot his name) and
- that way everyone can get the info...that is, of course, if there is
- some sort of contact address on the flyers.

:^)  Good idea.  Unfortunately, there isn't any address or phone
number on either of the flyers I have.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

uace0@menudo.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (11/11/90)

Actually, the 'priority tasking' erally doesn't mean too much to the real world
GEM/TOS user.  It boils down to that you can do desktop functions enmasse and
simultaneously, and even when you are in a program (supposedly), but you can
only run one GEM app, and you can't even multitask TOS programs, because it
isn't a TOS multitasker like MicroRTX or MiNT.

To get any special GEM multitasking, you'd have to right for his specific
library calls.

Don't get me wrong, he has spent a _great_ deal of time working on it, but I
fear it is too late to be accepted as the multitasking answer...

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Voice: (713)977-6520 | DC DESKTOP | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

manes@vger.nsu.edu (11/14/90)

In article <7734.273bf76f@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) writes:
>  ...   Yes, now there is true multitasking on ATARI . . . and a system far
>  superior to any other in the marketplace.  But, that does not  mean that

Before I go out and throw my Amiga into a great pond somewhere, could you
possibly tell me why this multitasking system for the atari is "far
superior to any other in the marketplace"?

If you meant this as a snide comment, then err, why did you bother?

> --
> Eric R. Smith                     email:
> Dept. of Mathematics            ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca
> University of Western Ontario   ersmith@uwovax.bitnet
> London, Ont. Canada N6A 5B7
> ph: (519) 661-3638

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (11/15/90)

In article <235.273ff389@vger.nsu.edu>, manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:
> In article <7734.273bf76f@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) writes:
>>  ...   Yes, now there is true multitasking on ATARI . . . and a system far
>>  superior to any other in the marketplace.  But, that does not  mean that
>
> Before I go out and throw my Amiga into a great pond somewhere, could you
> possibly tell me why this multitasking system for the atari is "far
> superior to any other in the marketplace"?
>
> If you meant this as a snide comment, then err, why did you bother?

The quote above comes from the press release about SLICCTOP; I'm sorry
if this is unclear. My own opinion is that SLICCTOP's claim is pure
hyperbole. It sounds like an interesting product, but not necessarily
any "superior" to RTX (which at the least has the advantage of being
a mature product) or to my own MiNT system.

In any event, I think the context makes it clear that the discussion is
about *atari* multitasking systems only, i.e. SLICCTOP is claiming that
their system is the best multitasking system *for the atari*. I doubt
that even SLICCWARE would claim that their system is better than, say,
NeXTStep.