[comp.sys.atari.st] ATARI ARCHIVE CRASH

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (11/09/90)

Well everyone, atari.archive (terminator) crashed today with a fatal
disk error. Anything posted to the archive is GONE. Read my lips,
G O N E. Anyhow, if everyone who was so kind to post things to
the archive before could re-post them again, the thousands of
atari users all over the planet would be incredibly grateful.

Again, after you upload, kindly mail me with a brief description of
what you have uploaded (it's time for a damn index.....)

Thanks,
weiner

--
weiner@atari.archive.umich.edu
'Tis far better to have failed at Michigan,

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/09/90)

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:

- Well everyone, atari.archive (terminator) crashed today with a fatal
- disk error. Anything posted to the archive is GONE. Read my lips, G
- O N E.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!  Don't you guys do any sort of backup?!  As they
say here in California, "Major bummer, dude."  Or as Bill and Ted
would say in unison, "Bogus."

- Anyhow, if everyone who was so kind to post things to the archive
- before could re-post them again, the thousands of atari users all
- over the planet would be incredibly grateful.

If there's a list of the stuff I've sent, I can resend it.  You do
realize, this sucks, don't you? :^)

- (it's time for a damn index.....)

Tell me about it. :^)

I had a rough day, too.  Alas, I am not upset.  Too tired to be upset.
Perhaps I won't have to post everything again, but others can help as
well.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (11/10/90)

Ok, perhaps I was a bit hasty when I said everything.... (Did I say everything?)
At any rate, only uploads made after SEPT. 19, 1990 are lost. This however
does include such gems of the atari community such as Mint (please Eric,
resend them), many of Ed Krimen's demo uploads, many of Todd Miller's
uploads, etc.

If you did upload something recently and still have it laying around,
please resend it.

And remember to let me know what it is, as stuff is already flooding in...

Thanks,
weiner
--
weiner@atari.archive.umich.edu
'Tis far better to have failed at Michigan,
than have graduated from Ohio-State.....

askrid@netmbx.UUCP (Dirk Ahrens) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov09.071859.27497@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
[lots of (quoted) stuff deleted]
>AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!  Don't you guys do any sort of backup?!  As they
[lots of (quoted) stuff deleted]

Just read the summarys! We have to blame him to have hidden the most
important fact in a seldom read place. Quoted here:
     Subject: ATARI ARCHIVE CRASH
So please don't overreact!

	Gruss Dirk
--
 Askrid	   netmbx, Jabba the Hutt.
 askrid@netmbx.UUCP  dirk@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de  AHRENS@TUBVM.CS.TU-BERLIN.DE

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (11/13/90)

> ... Or as Bill and Ted
would say in unison, "Bogus."

"This is a most heinous development, dude."

Ray
----------

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov9.172614.4330@terminator.cc.umich.edu>,
weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:
|> At any rate, only uploads made after SEPT. 19, 1990 are lost.

Hmm, that's still nearly two months. Don't you really do a daily or at
least weekly backup?

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

brode@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (11/16/90)

In article <2788@laura.UUCP> klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
>Hmm, that's still nearly two months. Don't you really do a daily or at
>least weekly backup?

I'm getting sick of all these complaints. I'll explain one more time...

The Atari ST is not a "supported" machine at the University of Michigan.
Atari.archive.umich.edu is not our machine.  We have no input on the backup
schedule.  We are permitted to use the machine on the whim of the system
administrator. The Atari Posse consists of volunteers who run the archive
in their spare time. Despite all of that, we still manage to run one of the
best Atari archives in the world.

You want better service? Give us a machine and some funding.

Bottom line: If you don't like our archive, don't use it. We don't need you.

Jon Brode  --  jon@atari.archive.umich.edu	brode@math.lsa.umich.edu
 Supreme Allied Umich Atari Commander

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.170753.12074@math.lsa.umich.edu> brode@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:
>The Atari ST is not a "supported" machine at the University of Michigan.
>Atari.archive.umich.edu is not our machine.  We have no input on the backup
>schedule.  We are permitted to use the machine on the whim of the system
>administrator. The Atari Posse consists of volunteers who run the archive
>in their spare time. Despite all of that, we still manage to run one of the
>best Atari archives in the world.

I for one really appreciate the service you are performing for the
Atari community.  The archive is one thing about owning an Atari that
is a real pleasure.  I hope you will keep up the good work!
| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |