[comp.sys.atari.st] Changing res on the fly

zseelunnon@qut.edu.au (11/17/90)

In article <273EB9A7.6545@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) writes:
> In article <1990Nov9.192002.3248@rodan.acs.syr.edu> mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) writes:
>>I'm still teaching myself C and I use MWC. Can some one help me with
>>changing the Screen Res? I want to use hotkeys to change res, does anyone
>>have code in MWC that will do this, and that I can have?
>>Matthew
>
> 	I would have thought that people would have been all over you to
> tell you that this is impossible.
> 	The XBIOS call Setscreen() will change the resolution alright, but
> it will not tell the AES to change the resolution.  The AES and VDI need to
> know that the resolution is being changed, and in current TOS versions, the
> only time this kind of stuff is initialised is during boot-up.
> 	I thought of automating the desktop features via hotkeys too, but
> I quickly realized that this isn't something that mere mortals were meant
> to do.
> 	This what I know about GEM.  If what I said isn't true, please
> don't hesitate to correct me.
>
>>[...]

This is true to an extent.... There is no *LEGAL* way of changing GEM's
knowledge of its environment but this is not to say it can't be done.
Swapping all the appropriate data in Gems DATA and BSS segments will
acheive results. (I have done this) but it is time consuming and not very
robust :-)

How to find the data ? simple boot up in low res save the first 40k of mem
boot up in medium do the same.

diff the two files

Unfortunately, gem changes more than the res when you do this but it does
narrow down the field.

A few things to think about :-

 DA's dont like this, few DAs check the current rez and rescale their resources
(Probably only mine :-) thus da's displays may exceed the screen size

 AUTO progs likewise though these don't know about regular res changes either

                BOB