[comp.sys.atari.st] Terminal emulation

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET.UUCP (06/04/87)

John T. Grieggs writes:
>............................ Incidentally, VT-52 emulation is built into
>the OS ROM, which makes it relatively easy to add VT-100...

If life was that simple! UniTerm uses 3 functions of the VT52 emulator
(or rather the corresponding VDI-Escape):

                  - character output without attributes (+invers)
                  - absolute cursor postion (gotoxy)
                  - bell

Not even the VT52 emulation in UniTerm uses the built-in VT52! There are
a number of reasons for this, but just consider double width/height
characters: after you receive the escape sequence to turn a line into
DW/DH characters you have to convert the line with ALL ATTRIBUTES to
DW/DH this means you have to have a copy of the current screen contents
in character form somewhere, this naturally implies that you have to
decode the escape sequences yourself! There are at least another 2 pages
worth of reasons why you can't use the TOS-VT52 emulation, but I think
this example was enough!

                        Simon Poole
                        K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (06/16/89)

RE: 'best terminal emulation', all ST users at our company use UNITERM at
19,200 baud over digital modems to talk to CYBERs and VAXs. KERMIT in server
on the mainframes works flawlessly. In TEK mode, CYBER graphics can be captured
in a metafile then hiked into any appl that uses .GEM files (for laser hard copy
without having to use the central computer's hard copy devices). It's fast,
reliable, easy to use and has features like cut and past from the screen
buffer with the mouse. However, it has a lousy script   capability. But,
considering that I use it 1 to 7 hours a day, and its PD, I have to give it
top marks for performance. Simon Poole has done a great job.

prisoner@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dean Michaels) (11/19/90)

There is a software package about 3 years old that did multiwindow
terminal emulation that only did text.
I believe it is something like adm-32 emulation.

It is available on CIS under UW.arc and UW.sh