[comp.sys.atari.st] TT Tos disk available in France...

glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) (11/12/90)

	Hi everybody....

	Do you know the TT Tos is available in France for ST Series ? This
is one file called NEWDESK.PRG and that's all... Wonderful !

	Glazou ( glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se )

carlos@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Carlos Borges) (11/12/90)

glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) writes:
>	Hi everybody....
>	Do you know the TT Tos is available in France for ST Series ? This
>is one file called NEWDESK.PRG and that's all... Wonderful !

I FTP'ed a file called TOS2.0 from a site in Germany.  I wonder if its the
same thing.  This one is just a new desktop, allowing the change of icons,
etc.  I don't know if it's a legal atari product or not.  Maybe someone's
idea of a joke.
--
Carlos (Miguel) Borges       |    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
carlos@stretch.cs.mun.ca     |     Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

In article <GLAZOU.90Nov12110641@mowitz.pdc.kth.se> I wrote :

>	   Do you know the TT Tos is available in France for ST Series ? This
>   is one file called NEWDESK.PRG and that's all... Wonderful !

I found on an finnish ftp site a interestinf file in pub/atari :

-rw-r--r--  1 548       mat          99459 Oct 21 21:33 TOS20.ARC

	/Enjoy/
	Daniel.

--
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Daniel Glazman                        | e_mail in Sweden :                  |

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (11/13/90)

In article <GLAZOU.90Nov12163930@mowitz.pdc.kth.se> glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) writes:

   I found on an finnish ftp site a interestinf file in pub/atari :

   -rw-r--r--  1 548       mat          99459 Oct 21 21:33 TOS20.ARC

Yeah! It's there, and it is a demo of the new TT TOS. Go on and try...

BTW: the site in question is nic.funet.fi
--
Timo Suhonen       I am logged in, therefore I am       suhonen@funic.funet.fi
                                                          suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi

glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) (11/13/90)

	Waouuuuu. I receive in one night more than twenty questions about
TT TOS on disk... Read carefully:

1) this TT TOS (this is the official name) is one file which is about
   290 KBytes long. The name of the file is NEWDESK.PRG

2) this TT TOS a ST-disk-version of the TOS I saw running on a TT.

3) I don't think this version is free of distribution. Maybe it has been
   distributed free of charge to *some* developpers in France because the
   TT computer is only available since some DAYS in France... One of them
   did not keep it secret !!!

4) there is one file called TOS20.ARC available on the finnish ftp site :

			jyu.fi

   this file is in the directory /pub/atari.

   -rw-r--r--  1 548       mat          99459 Oct 21 21:33 TOS20.ARC

   I don't know what it is ... Try !

5) I cannot send my version to the net because
	* it is in France and I'm now in Sweden
	* I cannot access comp.sys.atari.st in France

6) One thing is missing in my version : the TT Control Panel Acc with its CPX.
   can someone send it to me ?

7) jk44+%andrew.cmu.edu@po10.andrew.cmu.edu wrote :

  >>  could it be sent to atari.archives?
  >> I'm sure the entire (U.S.) Atari community would be eternally grateful.

  I know, but read 5)... If you send me a e_mail with your **postal** address,
  I will send you a copy when I will be back in France ( end of December )

	/Enjoy/		Daniel.

"Melanger la fumee de sa pipe a celle de ses amis est un des rares plaisirs de
l'existence"
		Martin Milan, bande dessinee de Godard, Editions du Lombard.

--
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

In article <GLAZOU.90Nov13100126@mowitz.pdc.kth.se> glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) writes:

   4) there is one file called TOS20.ARC available on the finnish ftp site :

      I don't know what it is ... Try !

I know: It is the same file Atari folks has told to be illeagal. I really
hope it will get removed as soon as possible from jyu.fi.

My earlier posting under the same subject was misleading, sorry.
nic.funet.fi has nothing to do with this file.

--

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (11/15/90)

carlos@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Carlos Borges) writes:
>I don't know if it's a legal atari product or not.

It's not.  No RAM-loadable part of the OS has EVER been an official
Atari product except the original RAM TOS back in 1985, and GDOS.
Everything else is either hacked out of the ROMs and made into a PRG,
or was an internal test release that should have stayed internal. In
any case such programs are NOT official, are probably PRE-RELEASE, TEST
versions, and they are likely to have BUGS.  What good is a cool new
desktop if it eats your files when you try to copy them one day?

>Maybe someone's idea of a joke.

We're not laughing.

Earlier, Derek Mui from Atari posted a message saying, in part, "If you
want to use this (potentially buggy) thing, that's fine with us."  He
misspoke. It is not fine with us. It is illegal, and in fact you are
probably dealing with stolen property. He meant something more akin to
"If you want to use it, it's your funeral," meaning Atari (and by
extension Derek himself) wouldn't take responsibility for the results.

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (11/15/90)

in article <GLAZOU.90Nov12163930@mowitz.pdc.kth.se>, glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) says:

> In article <GLAZOU.90Nov12110641@mowitz.pdc.kth.se> I wrote :
>
>>	   Do you know the TT Tos is available in France for ST Series ? This
>>   is one file called NEWDESK.PRG and that's all... Wonderful !
>

> I found on an finnish ftp site a interestinf file in pub/atari :
>

> -rw-r--r--  1 548       mat          99459 Oct 21 21:33 TOS20.ARC
>

> 	/Enjoy/
> 	Daniel.
>
> --
> +---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
> | Daniel Glazman                        | e_mail in Sweden :                  |
> | Telecommunications & Computer Science |       glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se      |
> | The Royal Institute of Technology     | e_mail in France :                  |
> | S-100 44 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN            |       glazman@inf.enst.fr           |
> +---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
> | "Dieu a dit : tu aimeras ton prochain; de toute maniere, Dieu ou pas, j'ai  |
> |  horreur que l'on me tutoie..."                                             |
> |                                      Pierre Desproges.                      |
> |                                                                             |
> | "OS/2 is just half of an Operating System..."                               |
> |                                      /usr/games/fortune                     |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

That version is a PIRATED and beta version of TOS. Please don't use it. It's
a violation of Atari's copyrights on TOS and it had some bugs in it that could
cause you endless grief.

Also, please ask the ftp site to STOP distributing it. It's illegal.

-- John Townsend				..ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corp.

trh@atari.UUCP (T R Hall) (11/15/90)

carlos@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Carlos Borges) writes:

>glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) writes:
>>	Hi everybody....
>>	Do you know the TT Tos is available in France for ST Series ? This
>>is one file called NEWDESK.PRG and that's all... Wonderful !

>I FTP'ed a file called TOS2.0 from a site in Germany...
>...  I don't know if it's a legal atari product or not.  Maybe someone's
>idea of a joke.
>--

	To add one more Atari voice into the fray :: THE USE AND DISTRIBUTION
OF THESE PROGRAMS IS SIMPLY AND BLATANTLY ILLEGAL!! It is THEFT!

	If you found a copy of Mark Williams "C" on a BB, would you spread the
word so everybody could get a free copy? Maybe a copy of Turbo "C"? How about
PC Ditto's sitting out on the loading dock of a warehouse? How about Spectre
GCR's, also from a loading dock?

	Until you hear an announcement from us, the use of any such programs
is simply theft. Even after such an announcement, you should get such copies
legally.

	Look, many of you are software/hardware developers for Atari products.
How would you feel if it were early, unreleased, (or released, for that matter)
versions of YOUR product?

	Irregardless of the theft issue, you (like we) would probably not want
to inflict an early, buggy, piece of software onto the Atari "community".

	Instead of gleefully spreading this around, how about showing some
professionalism and integrity, and help put an end to it?

						TRH

[ If you don't like my attitude, send me mail rather than cluttering up the
newsgroup. Also recognize that this is from a HARDWARE developer's point of
view rather than SOFTWARE]

glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) (11/15/90)

In article <2742@atari.UUCP> trh@atari.UUCP (T R Hall) writes:

>   To add one more Atari voice into the fray :: THE USE AND DISTRIBUTION
>   OF THESE PROGRAMS IS SIMPLY AND BLATANTLY ILLEGAL!! It is THEFT!

	Ok. If this is the official point of view from Atari Corp., the file
I have will stay in my hard disk and ONLY in my hard disk...

	Sorry for all the people who sent me their *postal* address...

		/Dan/

--
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

chris@tharr.UUCP (Chris Allen) (11/15/90)

In article <2739@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>What good is a cool new
>desktop if it eats your files when you try to copy them one day?

That is what we have been wondering about the UK STe machines
with their faulty DMA chips. Atari UK still released them, then
for many months *insisted* that a problem didn't exist.

It is only now, after extensive articles in the computer press
we read that Atari UK has admitted there is a problem.
Apparently they are marking all STe machines with a red dot after
the serial number if they contain the new [fixed] DMA chip.
In spite of this, more than one large retailer has stopped selling
Atari computers altogether, and others have dropped their Atari
hard disks after Atari refused to change DMA chips for any customers
except those who had bought a Megafile. Thanks for the support, Atari.

--
         chris@tharr.uucp  ..!ukc!axion!tharr!chris
  Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

  <-- tharr free public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (11/17/90)

In article <SUHONEN.90Nov13082741@tukki.jyu.fi> suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) writes:
>In article <GLAZOU.90Nov12163930@mowitz.pdc.kth.se> glazou@mowitz.pdc.kth.se (Daniel Glazman) writes:
>
>   I found on an finnish ftp site a interestinf file in pub/atari :
>
>   -rw-r--r--  1 548       mat          99459 Oct 21 21:33 TOS20.ARC
>

>Yeah! It's there, and it is a demo of the new TT TOS. Go on and try...
                               ^^^^

It always amazes me how people try to rationalize piracy by convincing
themselves that they are in fact using a demo. Pirates strike again!
The same guys who rationalize their unwillingness to pay for shareware by
convincing themselves that shareware is equivalent to public domain.

If it is the same "demo of the new TT TOS" that is circulating around here
in Seattle, then what you have isn't really even a complete TOS. It only
replaces the desktop and no other functions (GEM, etc). From the file size
shown above, that would seem to be a correct assumption.

Don't bother wasting your time downloading "demo of the new TT TOS". It is
not a demo. It is not intended for public distribution. It is not legal.
It is highly unstable. What purpose does it serve to be distributing and
obvious pre-release version of a piece of software, since it only wastes
people's time, and will only start inaccurate rumors of the new TOS being
unstable, which it (the real one) is not.

- Darek

#include <disclmr.h>

killer@niksula.hut.fi (Kalle Kivimaa) (11/18/90)

In article <2740@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:

>Also, please ask the ftp site to STOP distributing it. It's illegal.

The FTP-site in question has been informed and has deleted the file
in question.  Also, it has been removed from all ST-specific BBS's here
in Finland.

>-- John Townsend				..ames!atari!towns
>   Atari Corp.
* Kalle Kivimaa             *  In the beginning the Universe was created.   *
* JMT 7A123                 *  This has made a lot of people very angry and *
* 468 2041                  *  has widely been regarded as a bad move.      *

suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (11/19/90)

In article <59145@microsoft.UUCP> darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:

   >I (suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi) wrote:

   >Yeah! It's there, and it is a demo of the new TT TOS. Go on and try...
				  ^^^^
   It always amazes me how people try to rationalize piracy by convincing
   themselves that they are in fact using a demo. Pirates strike again!
   The same guys who rationalize their unwillingness to pay for shareware by
   convincing themselves that shareware is equivalent to public domain.
   - Darek

OK. I Should have send another article some days ago about this "demo":
IT IS NOT A DEMO (my fault saying it is..). IT IS/WAS the very same illeagal
TT TOS version that has been talked about here some weeks now. As far as
I know, it's nowhere in Finland any more... Forgive my wrong info about
that file, I'm sorry. Now it's wiped out from Finland. Be happy...