[comp.sys.atari.st] Unix like login for the Atari ????

burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) (10/23/90)

   I am looking for a Unix-like login utility.  What I want is something
to allow me to logon and have access to everything, and say have my roomate
logon and have restricted access to files contained on the HD (not logging on
simultaneously, of course).  Is this possible on the Atari?

  &y Burnett   |  burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu  |

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (10/23/90)

In article <15516@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:

>   I am looking for a Unix-like login utility.  What I want is something
>to allow me to logon and have access to everything, and say have my roomate
>logon and have restricted access to files contained on the HD (not logging on
>simultaneously, of course).  Is this possible on the Atari?

I believe mx2 in binaries/volume3 may help you.  It is a multi-tasking OS
(I think) but it does contain a login function.  I have not tried it yet
so I cannot help you on how well it works.

John.

--
John Trickey <jvt@its.bt.co.uk> || ..!mcsun!ukc!axion!its
              G4REV @ GB7SUT      Voice: +44 21 333 3369

roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar &) (10/23/90)

In article <15516@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:
>    I am looking for a Unix-like login utility.  What I want is something
> to allow me to logon and have access to everything, and say have my roomate
> logon and have restricted access to files contained on the HD (not logging on
> simultaneously, of course).  Is this possible on the Atari?

The quicklock program and accessory allows you to write- and/or
read-protect some partitions of your harddisk. With a single password,
you can reenable the read/write-access to the partitions. This gives
you two levels of permissions. People knowing the right password can
access everything, others have only restricted access to some
partitions.
We use this system at the university to prevent (accidental) damage of
our program and system partitions.

Hope this helps!

	- Edgar

windy@truth.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Andrew John Stuart Miller) (10/23/90)

burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:

>   I am looking for a Unix-like login utility.  What I want is something
>to allow me to logon and have access to everything, and say have my roomate
>logon and have restricted access to files contained on the HD (not logging on
>simultaneously, of course).  Is this possible on the Atari?

>--
>  &y Burnett   |  burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu  |

.flame on!
Under what operating system?

TOS --- Forget it!
MINIX or OS9 --- comes as standard!

I won't even tell you what to "TOS up" means....
.flame off!

Andrew Miller

email: windy@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
snail: Ruetscherstr 165  D-5100 Aachen
voice: 0049 (0)241 894-355

entropy@mole.ai.mit.edu (Nick Castellano) (10/25/90)

>In article <15516@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:
>>
>>   I am looking for a Unix-like login utility.  What I want is something
>>to allow me to logon and have access to everything, and say have my roomate
>>logon and have restricted access to files contained on the HD (not logging on
>>simultaneously, of course).  Is this possible on the Atari?
>
>I believe mx2 in binaries/volume3 may help you.  It is a multi-tasking OS
>(I think) but it does contain a login function.  I have not tried it yet
>so I cannot help you on how well it works.

The login in mx2 does not allow you to protect directories, just to
have various logins vor various people--mostly useless, in other words.

--
  | | |   ncastellano@{eagle.wesleyan.edu, wesleyan.bitnet}
  | | |   entropy@ai.mit.edu
 /  |  \  Sinkhole!dEADHEAd[@mast.citadel.moundst.mn.org] (call 203-873-8518)
/   |   \ snikt!entropy

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/25/90)

In article <ENTROPY.90Oct24222714@mole.ai.mit.edu> entropy@mole.ai.mit.edu (Nick Castellano) writes:
>>In article <15516@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:
>>>
>>>   I am looking for a Unix-like login utility.  What I want is something
>>>to allow me to logon and have access to everything, and say have my roomate
>>>logon and have restricted access to files contained on the HD (not logging on
>>>simultaneously, of course).  Is this possible on the Atari?
>>
>>I believe mx2 in binaries/volume3 may help you.  It is a multi-tasking OS
>>(I think) but it does contain a login function.  I have not tried it yet
>>so I cannot help you on how well it works.
>>

>The login in mx2 does not allow you to protect directories, just to
>have various logins vor various people--mostly useless, in other words.

I would think that Gulam would provide some sort of protection like this?
If not, maybe you could try Minix for the ST.  I found MX2 to be a little
on the unstable side.

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

t19@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (10/25/90)

The GPshell turns my machine into a REAL computer which comes to life with
------------------------
Atari ST/GPshell 2.1 TOS 1.4

login: t19
Password:

Last login ...
------------------------
and yes, it has a command 'wprot' which allows me to write-protect the system
and my partition for my wife.  Unfortunately a simple 'wprot -d' undoes this.

Geert Jan van Oldenborgh

marc@wopr.uu.ch (Marc Balmer) (11/03/90)

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) writes:

>In article <15516@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:
>>
>>   I am looking for a Unix-like login utility.  What I want is something
>>to allow me to logon and have access to everything, and say have my roomate
>>logon and have restricted access to files contained on the HD (not logging on
>>simultaneously, of course).  Is this possible on the Atari?

>I believe mx2 in binaries/volume3 may help you.  It is a multi-tasking OS
>(I think) but it does contain a login function.  I have not tried it yet
>so I cannot help you on how well it works.

Try "Remote Access", it allows you to login to any ST Computers and gives
you full access to the system via a UNIX like shell. The login is UNIX
similar and need username/password. Remote Access can also be run as desk
accessory, waiting for a remote call or login.

- Marc

mrose@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) (11/07/90)

In article <69@wopr.uu.ch> marc@wopr.uu.ch (Marc Balmer) writes:

[ Stuff deleted ]

>Try "Remote Access", it allows you to login to any ST Computers and gives
>you full access to the system via a UNIX like shell. The login is UNIX
>similar and need username/password. Remote Access can also be run as desk
>accessory, waiting for a remote call or login.
>
>- Marc

Where can we get Remote Access? Is it on atari.archive?

				Thanks!

				-Michael Rose

marc@wopr.uu.ch (Marc Balmer) (11/20/90)

mrose@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) writes:

>Where can we get Remote Access? Is it on atari.archive?

No, it's not. Drop me a note if you want it.

- Marc