[comp.sys.atari.st] Why won't GCC work ???

longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (11/15/90)

I am having a heck of a time getting GCC working on our 4 Meg 1040ST
with TOS1.2 here at work.  After convincing my fellow workers that GCC would
be the greatest thing since sliced bread, I grabbed the executables, incl,
libs and installed it all.  I modified the sample gnu.g file to conform
to the setup and whenever I run the obligitory hello.c test, I get the
following in response to my commands:

>cc -v hello.c -o hello.prg

gcc version 1.37.1
 c:\gnu\bin\gcc-cpp.ttp -v -undef -D__GNUC__ -Datarist -Dgen -Dm68k
           e:\hello.c   d:/cc10000.cpp
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
d:/cc10000.cpp : file not found
d:/cc10000.s : file not found

I suspect the problem has to do with the forward slashes in the temp dir
d:/   (my gulam.g has TEMP=d:)

Can anyone help me save face soon??

Capt Jeff Long
RADC/DCLD        longj@lonex.radc.af.mil or jlong@cassiopeia.radc.af.mil
(315)330-7751

mtp@ukc.ac.uk (M.T.Paley) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov14.204315.14160@lonex.radc.af.mil> longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>I am having a heck of a time getting GCC working on our 4 Meg 1040ST
>with TOS1.2 here at work.  After convincing my fellow workers that GCC would
>be the greatest thing since sliced bread, I grabbed the executables, incl,
>libs and installed it all.  I modified the sample gnu.g file to conform
>to the setup and whenever I run the obligitory hello.c test, I get the
>following in response to my commands:
>
>>cc -v hello.c -o hello.prg
>
>gcc version 1.37.1
> c:\gnu\bin\gcc-cpp.ttp -v -undef -D__GNUC__ -Datarist -Dgen -Dm68k
>           e:\hello.c   d:/cc10000.cpp
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>d:/cc10000.cpp : file not found
>d:/cc10000.s : file not found

This happened to me when I first got GCC, the problem is that you have not set
your enviroment variables correctly. The vital ones are:

GNULIB		The location of the library ( .olb ) files.
GNUINC		The location of the include ( .h ) files
GCCEXEC		The location of the GCC executables

The one that is causing your problems is GCCEXEC, this does not fit the pattern
of the other variables so can easily cause grief ( I almost abandoned GCC when
I had the same problems as you ). It MUST end with a backslash while for the
others this is optional, alse note that it is GCCEXEC not GNUEXEC. The GCC
program should call the various compiler programs using their full names (check
using the -verbose flag), if it does not then look at your GCCEXEC variable.

P.S. GCC is indeed the best thing since sliced bread.

	Matthew

--
Matthew Paley, Space Science, Physics Lab, The University, Canterbury CT2 7NR
  \|/  Phone: 0227 764000 ext 3834     .   .    Fax: 0227 762616

erlingh@idt.unit.no (Erling Henanger) (11/19/90)

It's also a good idea to remove ending slashes from the TEMP
enviroment:
	NOT TEMP=f:\
	BUT TEMP=f:
That might help you ...

Erling Henanger

roeder@robin.cs.uni-sb.de (Edgar Roeder) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov14.204315.14160@lonex.radc.af.mil> longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
> gcc version 1.37.1
>  c:\gnu\bin\gcc-cpp.ttp -v -undef -D__GNUC__ -Datarist -Dgen -Dm68k
>     e:\hello.c   d:/cc10000.cpp
>		  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> d:/cc10000.cpp : file not found
> d:/cc10000.s : file not found
>  I suspect the problem has to do with the forward slashes in the temp dir
> d:/   (my gulam.g has TEMP=d:)
>  Can anyone help me save face soon??

If any program uses forward slashes in TOS-calls related to filenames,
you can use unx2dos.prg from cs.uni-sb.de (directory /pub/atari/bin)
in your auto-folder. This program does nothing else than converting
these slashes to backslashes and the /dev/A notation for drives to A:.
For a more complete description of the filename conventions used by
gcc, you can read UNIXMODE.doc (also on cs.uni-sb). This file
describes the UNIXMODE extended filename standard proposed by Eric
Smith.

>  Capt Jeff Long

Hope this helps!

	- Edgar

p.s. anyway i am trying to find out, what is wrong in the gcc-binaries.

ljdickey@aftermath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (11/20/90)

In article <6197@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> mtp@ukc.ac.uk (M.T.Paley) writes:
>In article <1990Nov14.204315.14160@lonex.radc.af.mil> longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>>I am having a heck of a time getting GCC working on our 4 Meg 1040ST
>>with TOS1.2 here at work.
> [...]
>This happened to me when I first got GCC, the problem is that you have not set
>your enviroment variables correctly. The vital ones are:
>
>GNULIB		The location of the library ( .olb ) files.
>GNUINC		The location of the include ( .h ) files
>GCCEXEC		The location of the GCC executables

I made modest modifications to the "gnu.g" file supplied by J. Bammi,
and had complete success the first time I used the GCC compiler.
My modification of his file starts with:

	# Sample Gulam script
	# set up commands for gcc and gas
	#
	alias	cc	f:\gccexec\gcc
	setenv	cc	f:\gccexec\gcc.ttp
	alias	as	f:\gccexec\gcc-as
	setenv	as	f:\gccexec\gcc-as.ttp
	alias	cpp	f:\gccexec\gcc-cpp
	setenv	cpp	f:\gccexec\gcc-cpp.ttp

and ends with:

	#
	# NOTE: beginning with gcc V1.37, GNUINC and GNULIB can be
	# ',' or ';' seperated list of dirs.
	# gcc-cpp looks for GNUINC first, if not found then GNULIB
	#
	setenv	GNUINC	'g:\include,f:\include'
	setenv	GNULIB	'f:\lib,g:\lib'
	setenv	GCCEXEC	f:\gccexec\gcc-