[comp.sys.atari.st] The Atari PANTHER

dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) (11/19/90)

 The Atari Panther

   Is supposed to be a suped up STE that has over 500 colors on screen at once
and has multi level scrolling.  It was NOT announced at Comdex but might be
at the CES next year.  It will run at 16 megahertz, supposedly.  And it will
be selling aorund $200, less than the nintendo sfx.

schultzd@kira.uucp (David Schultz) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov18.160813.7417@umiami.ir.miami.edu>
dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) writes:
-> The Atari Panther
->
-> Is supposed to be a suped up STE that has over 500 colors on screen at once
-> and has multi level scrolling.  It was NOT announced at Comdex but might be
-> at the CES next year.  It will run at 16 megahertz, supposedly.  And it will
-> be selling aorund $200, less than the nintendo sfx.

You've gotta be kidding!

a) A "suped up" STe would have a lot more than 500 colors.  (In excess
of 4096!)

b) It would cost a heck of a lot more than $200.  (STe is about $600?)
--
-----			   David W. Schultz			-----
-----			 schultzd@egr.msu.edu			-----

In article <1990Nov19.212553.8341@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> schultzd@kira.uucp (David Schultz) writes:
>In article <1990Nov18.160813.7417@umiami.ir.miami.edu>
>dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) writes:
>-> The Atari Panther

>-> Is supposed to be a suped up STE that has over 500 colors on screen at once
>-> and has multi level scrolling.  It was NOT announced at Comdex but might be
>-> at the CES next year.  It will run at 16 megahertz, supposedly.  And it will
>-> be selling aorund $200, less than the nintendo sfx.

>You've gotta be kidding!

>a) A "suped up" STe would have a lot more than 500 colors.  (In excess
>of 4096!)

Over 500 colors onscreen at once - this means either the fancy palette
tweaking that Spectrum 512 does in low-rez, or that there are 9 or more
bitplanes available. Since dealing with the timing required by things
like Spectrum is pretty unappetizing, especially for fast action graphics
programming, I'm inclined to take this as claiming a nice large color
lookup table. Just as a reference, PC-style SuperVGA is only 8 bitplanes,
256 colors in its lookup table.

>b) It would cost a heck of a lot more than $200.  (STe is about $600?)

So it goes. If it's a game machine only, mebbe they're saving the cost of
the keyboard and it's associated hardware - keyboard processor, clock, and
joystick and mouse and serial ports. Probably also remove any floppy drive
and controller, so who knows, they could shave the cost down.

But the Panther doesn't exist, so this is all a moot point, eh?
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!

schultzd@kira.uucp (David Schultz) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.231651.15558@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:

   So it goes. If it's a game machine only, mebbe they're saving the cost of
   the keyboard and it's associated hardware - keyboard processor, clock, and
   joystick and mouse and serial ports. Probably also remove any floppy drive
   and controller, so who knows, they could shave the cost down.

Of course, if it's only a game machine, then it isn't really a "suped
up" STe.  That was the point I was trying to make.  The STe is a REAL
computer, not a toy!