[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectre HD solution

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (11/21/90)

In article <21730@well.sf.ca.us> dsmall@well.sf.ca.us (David Small) writes:

>-- the base question dealt with Spectre and Mac hard drives.
>
>Spectre up to version 2.65C was only able to deal with the earlier Mac
>hard disk scheme. This was changed, oh, around System 6's release, to a
>new one Spectre did not understand. This^? is why you are unable to read
>a Mac formatted syquest read under Spectre.
>
>Spectre 3.0 fixes this problem (and many other minor bugs like this). It
>recognizes both Apple HD schemes.

My original question was something like "is it possible to interchange a
SyQuest cart with Spectre and a real mac.  Dave Small points out in one of
the Gadgets newsletters that the Supra formatter works, but I haven't tried
this.  However, the "CMS Formatter" will work, when used on a real mac. I
used this program to format a SyQuest cartridge on a real mac and then I
could boot Spectre (2.65) from floppy (after booting the ICD software from
floppy) and Spectre could see and use the Mac cartridge. The drawback to this
is that you must boot Spectre and Host adapter stuff from floppy, since the
CMS formatter won't do partitions, and I haven't yet found any software that
will allow me to format a cartridge with an Atari and a Mac partition that is
usable on both a Mac and an Atari w/Spectre.  It's great to hear that Spectre
3.0 will read other Mac formats. Will it be possible to use cartridges with
an Atari partition on a true Mac now? I have seen some partitioning software
for the Mac, but will it be possible to partition a cartridge on a Mac and
then format/initialize one of the partitions for Atari use?

Many thanks to Suthi (AKISUJAR@NUSVM.BITNET) for pointing out this solution!!

---jb