[comp.sys.atari.st] DTP

mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) (11/16/90)

I was messing around with the pagestream demo and, well it works.
It only crashed once on me, which really ain't that bad for them(zing).

I have never seen Calmus(nor do I know how to spell it!). Is there a
demo of that around?  Which is better? I'm not looking to make a living
out of this, just some reports and such.
I don't suppose they offer us poor students a break, do they?

--
 But I still like my ST...                            GEnie     M.DUCEY
 SOCEUR (A)                                         Bitnet    mjducey@suvm

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov15.231137.6168@rodan.acs.syr.edu> mjducey@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Matthew J. Ducey) writes:
>I was messing around with the pagestream demo and, well it works.
>It only crashed once on me, which really ain't that bad for them(zing).
>
>I have never seen Calmus(nor do I know how to spell it!). Is there a
>demo of that around?  Which is better? I'm not looking to make a living
>out of this, just some reports and such.
>I don't suppose they offer us poor students a break, do they?

Personally, I like Timeworks as a cheap, #75 (~$150) but powerful package.
I can only compare it with Calamus and quite frankly for the price, Timeworks
knocks spots off it!  Timeworks is GDOS based and hence can use just about
any font available in that format.  Its advantage is with the bit-mapped
fonts as these translate to dot-matrix printers or lasers quite well.
Calamus uses outline fonts which when displayed even on a Lasejet II look
blocky and ragged!!  Where Calamus wins is in the graphics.  It can
handle both vector and raster graphics well including facilities for
uploading from a scanner.  Timeworks only uses bitmapped graphics and
suffers if the image is severely compressed.

To be fair I must mention the ages of the packages, My version of Timeworks
I think is 1.12 and is 1 year old.  Calamus I saw on a friends computer
and was *considerably* older than that - things do advance so draw your
own conclusions.

John
--
John Trickey <jvt@its.bt.co.uk> || ..!mcsun!ukc!axion!its
              G4REV @ GB7SUT      Voice: +44 21 333 3369

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (11/21/90)

[jvt@its.bt.co.uk writes ... ]

> Personally, I like Timeworks as a cheap, #75 (~$150) but powerful package.
> I can only compare it with Calamus and quite frankly for the price, Timeworks
> knocks spots off it!  Timeworks is GDOS based and hence can use just about
> any font available in that format.  Its advantage is with the bit-mapped
> fonts as these translate to dot-matrix printers or lasers quite well.
> Calamus uses outline fonts which when displayed even on a Lasejet II look
> blocky and ragged!!

This runs absolutely counter to every experience I have had with Calamus,
GDOS and font technology in general -- and I've been working with typesetters
for 20 years.

Outline fonts are used to create bitmaps on the fly at optimum resolutions,
for each desired point size. PostScript, Calamus, DeskSet II and PageStream's
built-in printer drivers are all examples of outline font technology.
There is considerable variation in the quality, but all are better than
GDOS.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new outline-font GDOS shown at Comdex
last week. The Z*Net report suggests that it uses a PostScript-clone
to generate bitmaps from outline masters.

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (11/21/90)

In article <A89789813@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:

>Outline fonts are used to create bitmaps on the fly at optimum resolutions,
>for each desired point size. PostScript, Calamus, DeskSet II and PageStream's
>built-in printer drivers are all examples of outline font technology.
>There is considerable variation in the quality, but all are better than
>GDOS.
>
>I'm looking forward to seeing the new outline-font GDOS shown at Comdex
>last week. The Z*Net report suggests that it uses a PostScript-clone
>to generate bitmaps from outline masters.

I've seen output form the new GDOS, which is called FSM GDOS for Font
Scaling Module Graphic Device Operating System.  The stuff looks REALLY
good.  It uses the Ultrascript fonts, and it even substitutes fonts for
real italics.  Uses the same outlines for all devices so what you see
will truly be what you get.  Finally, it's very compatible with older
GDOS programs and it can rotate text to any angle (0-360 degrees in 1/10
degree incrents).

	--Steve

>----
>  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
>  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |