[comp.sys.atari.st] Calamus fonts

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (10/28/89)

In article <0927890305189323@thelake.UUCP> pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve writes:

>DeskSet II is a contemporary page layout system. As I recall, it uses
>Compugraphic Intellifont technology. My local Atari dealer has had
>brochures on DeskSet II since last winter, but there is no evidence that
>the Atari ST version has been released for sale. This is no major loss,
>since Calamus does such an impressive (and speedy) job, also with
>Compugraphic technology.
>
>Compugraphic, currently a subsidiary of Agfa-Gevaert, is a company that
>makes medium-to-high-quality commercial phototypesetting machines (and
>some text editing systems). It has a large typeface library. In the last
>couple of years, it has begun marketing digital representations of those
>typefaces, in its own proprietary vector encoding as well as in PostScript
>format.

Does anyone know if Calamus can produce Ultrascript output?  I already
have a considerable number of Ultrascript fonts, and while Calamus
looks attractive, it will end up costing many hundreds of dollars if I
have to buy a complete new set of fonts just to use it.

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

laba-1aj@web-4e.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (10/28/89)

In article <3811@cs.yale.edu> fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) writes:
>Does anyone know if Calamus can produce Ultrascript output?  I already
>have a considerable number of Ultrascript fonts, and while Calamus
>looks attractive, it will end up costing many hundreds of dollars if I
>have to buy a complete new set of fonts just to use it.

>| Michael Fischer                                |
>|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
>|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
>|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

Sorry Mike.  The deal with Calamus is that, like Ultrascript, it uses outline
fonts.  If you want to use a Garamond face, you need the Calamus Garamond face,
otherwise, Calamus will not be able to show you the output on the screen.
Calamus takes care of all the "painting" of all the characters.
To use the Ultrascript fonts in Calamus, you need to convert the US font into
the Cal font.  This is unlike Fleet Street, which uses GDOS to do the screen
display, but creates US output and lets US take care of the outline face.

Perhaps a more pertinent question:  Does anyone here on the net know what
the font encoding scheme for Calamus is?  I can see how it would be
relatively easy to convert PS compatible fonts into Calamus since they
(presumably) use splines and things like that.

&  John Kawakami
&  laba-1aj@web.berkeley.edu
&  Live each day as if it were your first

Erik-jan.Vens@samba.acs.unc.edu (Erik-jan Vens) (11/21/90)

Hi,

does anyone know how the Calamus fonts are built up? I would like to be
able to convert some fonts to Calamus, and vice versa. I have not found
info on the layout.

Erik-Jan. Vens@Rug.NL

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (11/22/90)

In article <1705@beguine.UUCP> Erik-jan.Vens@samba.acs.unc.edu (Erik-jan Vens) writes:

>Hi,
>
>does anyone know how the Calamus fonts are built up? I would like to be
>able to convert some fonts to Calamus, and vice versa. I have not found
>info on the layout.
>
>Erik-Jan. Vens@Rug.NL

	My friend brought me back a few flyers from Comdex.  One of them
is for a product called FontVerter.  Apparantly it converts fonts between
Calamus, Pagestream, and Font Designer.  Address of the company is:

	MegaType
	P. O. Box 645
	South Bend, IN 46624
	(219) 288-7468

	Price is $49.95US.

	I have no relation or affiliation with the above company or
mentioned products.  Hope this is helpful.

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca