[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Jaguar

dh@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk (11/12/90)

I'm hoping (!!) for a reply from someone from Atari about this...but I
realise they probably won't reply.

What I want is some more info about this new Atari Jaguar machine that
I've been hearing about. It's supposedly going to cost 700 UK pounds
and be based on a 68020 running at 16MHz.

I've heard it's basically a cut-down TT.

It's only a very big rumour..but can Atari shed any light on it?

Your Hopefully
Richard

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (11/13/90)

In <sent.Mon.Nov.12.11:37:46.GMT.1990.via.CS.TARDIS>, dh@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk writes:

>I'm hoping (!!) for a reply from someone from Atari about this...but I
>realise they probably won't reply.
>
>What I want is some more info about this new Atari Jaguar machine that
>I've been hearing about. It's supposedly going to cost 700 UK pounds
>and be based on a 68020 running at 16MHz.
>
>I've heard it's basically a cut-down TT.

	I'm not from Atari. but perhaps this Zflash from Comdex may clear
up what you've heard. Note, this is not a 68020, but the rest fits.

 This is a Z*NET SPECIAL SHOW REPORT: COMDEX FALL 1990  #1

    ======= ))))))))))======== )))== ))= )))))))= ))))))))========
    ============== ))=== ))=== ))))= ))= ))========= ))===========
    =========== ))==== ))))))= )) )) ))= )))))====== ))===========
    ======== ))========= ))=== ))= ))))= ))========= ))===========
    ======= ))))))))))======== ))== )))= )))))))==== ))===========

 ZCOMDEX1.TXT

 Sunday Morning, November 11, 1990 - John Nagy

 Setup continues at the ever-more massive COMDEX computer exposition
 here in Las Vegas, Nevada.  I visited the new show floor at the
 Sands Convention facility on Saturday afternoon to see the Atari
 exhibit being built.  It is the largest floor area for a COMDEX that
 I have seen Atari have yet, with a mixed color scheme that clearly
 illustrated the differentiation of the Atari Personal/Home computer
 products from the Atari Business products.  The Home area is
 accented by rainbow colored banners, rich in flourescent oranges,
 while the Business area is a dignified Black and White.

 Yes, the MEGA/STE is REAL, and I am writing this first report on
 one! The configuration is as predicted weeks ago in Z*Net, identical
 construction to the TT, although in Grey rather than off-White.  A
 pair of Serial ports are offered, as well as the local area network
 (Appletalk compatible) port, although the LAN and Serial 2 appear to
 share internal harware connections and cannot be used
 simultaneously. There is no SCSI port on the Mega/STE as on the TT,
 but all the other ports are the same.  A VME bus cart slot is
 accessable through a panel on the back of the machine.  Most of the
 MEGA/STE machines here have an additional serial port card installed
 there.

 The Mega/STe will have a base unit featuring 2 MEG of RAM, a
 switchable 16/8 Mhz acceleration (yes, SPECTRUM compatible) with or
 without RAM cache, and an internal 40 megabyte hard drive, the new
 TT style TOS/Desktop (which shows on test programs to be calling
 itself TOS 2.2)... and will be available "after the first of the
 year" for a price that is to "knock out the Mac Classic".  That may
 be UNDER $1200!  All the Mega/STe units here on display are hooked to
 the new Phillips 15" color monitors, the STERO SOUND units, model
 SC1435.  This is VERY nice, large screen unit that will replace the
 SC1224 monitors completely, and should retail at or just above the
 current color monitor price.  It IS a step UP.

 At least five Mega/STe units are set up in the Atari booth, along
 with more than seven TT/030 units.  The TT's are running the new
 SC1434 color monitors that offer the new TT resolutions ($450), and
 at least two are on the new Phillips 19" monochrome monitors...
 VERRRRY impressive at under $1,000 each.  The bad news is... no FCC
 number for the TT yet.  This means NO promises on WHEN they can be
 shipped, despite the early assurances of "immediately after COMDEX."

 In keeping with the business flavor of COMDEX, the "Home" part of the
 Atari booth is small... featuring twin setups of 1040STe units on
 modems for CompuServe and GEnie.  Side by side.  It looks like the
 ONLY computer that Atari considers as a HOME unit now is the
 1040STe. It may, in fact, become availble to ALL dealers of any
 hardware or software if plans to place the 1040STe line with national
 distributors come to fruition.

 Portfolios are all over the place, with hookups to a couple "alien"
 computers...  a Mac SE and an IBM PS/2.  It was a bit odd to see
 those computers in the Atari booth, but they are there to demonstrate
 connectivity with the palmtop Portfolio computer.

 Developers are arriving to populate the wide isles of the Atari
 exhibit, and this COMDEX again promises lots to see... starting
 Monday.  Z*Net will offer VIDI-ST pictures as we can convert them
 and get them online.

 I expect to have additional COMDEX reports from Z*NET each day, with
 a complete wrapup in the next regular Z*NET issue on Friday, November
 16.   Don't miss it!

  Z*NET Atari Online Magazine is a weekly publication covering  the
  Atari and related computer community.  Material contained in this
  edition may be reprinted  without permission.  Z*Net, Z*Net Atari
  Online and  Z*Net  News  Service  are  copyright (c) 1990,  Rovac
  Industries  Incorporated,  Post Office  Box  59,  Middlesex,  New
  Jersey  08846-0059.  Voice (908) 968-2024,  BBS (908) 968-8148 at
    1200/2400 Baud 24 hours a day.   Compuserve at PPN 71777,2140
                      GEnie at address: Z-Net.
           Z*NET Atari Online Magazine Copyright (c)1990,
                       Rovac Industries, Inc..

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (11/14/90)

In article <sent.Mon.Nov.12.11:37:46.GMT.1990.via.CS.TARDIS> dh@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>I'm hoping (!!) for a reply from someone from Atari about this...but I
>realise they probably won't reply.
>
>What I want is some more info about this new Atari Jaguar machine that
>I've been hearing about. It's supposedly going to cost 700 UK pounds
>and be based on a 68020 running at 16MHz.
>
>I've heard it's basically a cut-down TT.
>
>It's only a very big rumour..but can Atari shed any light on it?

Setting aside the question of how likely such a configuration is...

Surely you realize that an official Atari response is not only
unlikely, but actually a bad thing?  Isn't this (pre-announcement
of product-turned-vapor) one of the things you hated most about
Atari in the late 80's?  If real, let it appear on the shelves
before anyone from Atari says boo about it.
--
"I feel lightheaded, Sam.  I think my      | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 brain is out of air.  But it's kind of    | The Apollo Systems Division of

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (11/15/90)

in article <sent.Mon.Nov.12.11:37:46.GMT.1990.via.CS.TARDIS>, dh@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk says:

> I'm hoping (!!) for a reply from someone from Atari about this...but I
> realise they probably won't reply.
>
> What I want is some more info about this new Atari Jaguar machine that
> I've been hearing about. It's supposedly going to cost 700 UK pounds
> and be based on a 68020 running at 16MHz.
>
> I've heard it's basically a cut-down TT.
>
> It's only a very big rumour..but can Atari shed any light on it?
>
> Your Hopefully
> Richard

This is just that a rumor. To my knowledge, there is no such machine
in the works.

-- John Townsend				..ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corp.

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (11/15/90)

In article <A0aw217u@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>In <sent.Mon.Nov.12.11:37:46.GMT.1990.via.CS.TARDIS>, dh@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk writes:
>>
>>I'm hoping (!!) for a reply from someone from Atari about this...but I
>>realise they probably won't reply.

I would prefer that.  It seems more prudent in light of past events
for them to just keep their mouths shut until the thing is shipping.

>>What I want is some more info about this new Atari Jaguar machine that
>>I've been hearing about. It's supposedly going to cost 700 UK pounds
>>and be based on a 68020 running at 16MHz.
>>
>>I've heard it's basically a cut-down TT.

Oh come on.  This rumour isn't remotely believable.  Why did this
guy post this?

>	I'm not from Atari. but perhaps this Zflash from Comdex may clear
>up what you've heard. Note, this is not a 68020, but the rest fits.
>

> This is a Z*NET SPECIAL SHOW REPORT: COMDEX FALL 1990  #1
>
>    ==============================================================
>    ======= ))))))))))======== )))== ))= )))))))= ))))))))========
>    ============== ))=== ))=== ))))= ))= ))========= ))===========
>    =========== ))==== ))))))= )) )) ))= )))))====== ))===========
>    ======== ))========= ))=== ))= ))))= ))========= ))===========
>    ======= ))))))))))======== ))== )))= )))))))==== ))===========
>    ==============================================================

Gads, it lives...

[stuff deleted]

> Yes, the MEGA/STE is REAL, and I am writing this first report on
> one! The configuration is as predicted weeks ago in Z*Net, identical
> construction to the TT, although in Grey rather than off-White.  A
> pair of Serial ports are offered, as well as the local area network

> (Appletalk compatible) port, although the LAN and Serial 2 appear to
> share internal harware connections and cannot be used
> simultaneously.

What good is that?  That doesn't make any sense.  You can't use your
serial devices and the network at the same time???  Hehe...

>There is no SCSI port on the Mega/STE as on the TT,
> but all the other ports are the same.

That's really too bad.  It makes more sense to include an SCSI
port into the box.  It seems the standard for the home/small business
machines these days (although IDE seems to be catching on as well).

> A VME bus cart slot is
> accessable through a panel on the back of the machine.  Most of the
> MEGA/STE machines here have an additional serial port card installed
> there.

A VME slot on an ST?  Now THAT makes sense.  It is about time that
the ST has some sort of stadard slot.

> The Mega/STe will have a base unit featuring 2 MEG of RAM, a
> switchable 16/8 Mhz acceleration (yes, SPECTRUM compatible) with or
> without RAM cache, and an internal 40 megabyte hard drive, the new
> TT style TOS/Desktop (which shows on test programs to be calling
> itself TOS 2.2)

So far so good.  Sounds like a decent low-end home unit if the pricing
is right.

>... and will be available "after the first of the
> year" for a price that is to "knock out the Mac Classic".  That may
> be UNDER $1200!

HAHAHAHA!  I should remind you that Atari said the same things
about the TT when they showed it for the first time (about 2 years ago!).
I would take statements like this with a BIG grain of salt judging
from Atari's previous antics (no pun intended...hehe).

As for being competition for the Mac Classic...It would seem to be
a very good contender IF the pricing is reasonable and IF they get it
out the door before the next ice age.

  All the Mega/STe units here on display are hooked to
> the new Phillips 15" color monitors, the STERO SOUND units, model
> SC1435.  This is VERY nice, large screen unit that will replace the
> SC1224 monitors completely, and should retail at or just above the
> current color monitor price.  It IS a step UP.

That is interesting.  Is it a multisync?  What resolutions will it
support?

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

In article <1990Nov15.144034.7163@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <A0aw217u@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>> Yes, the MEGA/STE is REAL, and I am writing this first report on
>> one! The configuration is as predicted weeks ago in Z*Net, identical
>> construction to the TT, although in Grey rather than off-White.  A
>> pair of Serial ports are offered, as well as the local area network

>> (Appletalk compatible) port, although the LAN and Serial 2 appear to
>> share internal harware connections and cannot be used
>> simultaneously.

>What good is that?  That doesn't make any sense.  You can't use your
>serial devices and the network at the same time???  Hehe...

Just like a real Mac. Blech. One Zilog 8530 doing double-duty. Oh well,
I wonder if it's good or bad that they attach two different connectors to
the same port. On the Mac there's only one connector on that port, the
"printer" port that has to do double duty as the Localtalk port.
It's still a step up, though, just to have the 2nd serial port. Being able
to plug into Phonenet/Localtalk will be very convenient...

>>There is no SCSI port on the Mega/STE as on the TT,
>> but all the other ports are the same.

>That's really too bad.  It makes more sense to include an SCSI
>port into the box.  It seems the standard for the home/small business
>machines these days (although IDE seems to be catching on as well).

IDE? Isn't that just a new name for the Same-Old Same Old, XT/AT bus-specific
cards and such? Oh well. Yes, a full SCSI port would have been nicer. Oh well,
there's always Supra, ICD, and BMS.

>> A VME bus cart slot is
>> accessable through a panel on the back of the machine.  Most of the
>> MEGA/STE machines here have an additional serial port card installed
>> there.

>A VME slot on an ST?  Now THAT makes sense.  It is about time that
>the ST has some sort of stadard slot.

Sounds cool. Echo previous line...

>> The Mega/STe will have a base unit featuring 2 MEG of RAM, a
>> switchable 16/8 Mhz acceleration (yes, SPECTRUM compatible) with or
>> without RAM cache, and an internal 40 megabyte hard drive, the new
>> TT style TOS/Desktop (which shows on test programs to be calling
>> itself TOS 2.2)

>So far so good.  Sounds like a decent low-end home unit if the pricing
>is right.

Hm... TOS 2.2? Well, if it's at all like the new TOS versions, that means
it's 68030 compatible, right? Oh boy... I wonder if the memory controller
is any faster, so you can use faster DRAMs. RAM caches are nice, but don't
yield such a big win when a lot of interrupt processing is going on.

>>... and will be available "after the first of the
>> year" for a price that is to "knock out the Mac Classic".  That may
>> be UNDER $1200!

>HAHAHAHA!  I should remind you that Atari said the same things
>about the TT when they showed it for the first time (about 2 years ago!).
>I would take statements like this with a BIG grain of salt judging
>from Atari's previous antics (no pun intended...hehe).

Who knows. I think Atari has done a good job of keeping things under their
hat 'till they're really ready to be announced. This may be for real, eh?
(I suppose it's no longer a breach of non-disclosure to say that the MegaSTe
had been mentioned several months ago, and that Atari solicited suggestions
from their developers for what features the machine should have? Yep, looks
like a good job so far...)

>As for being competition for the Mac Classic...It would seem to be
>a very good contender IF the pricing is reasonable and IF they get it
>out the door before the next ice age.

Got my fingers crossed. Of course, it figures this machine would be released
just after I ordered a 1040 STe.

>  All the Mega/STe units here on display are hooked to
>> the new Phillips 15" color monitors, the STERO SOUND units, model
>> SC1435.  This is VERY nice, large screen unit that will replace the
>> SC1224 monitors completely, and should retail at or just above the
>> current color monitor price.  It IS a step UP.

>That is interesting.  Is it a multisync?  What resolutions will it
>support?

Echo that question. A 15" color monitor will probably look real sharp, but
it'd also look kinda stupid showing the same ol' 640x200 screen. It sounds
a lot more impressive than the 1425(?) that was described in the old developers
docs (for the "EST" 'way back then), but probably a direct descendent. That
would mean a 35 khz horizontal scan rate. Oughta be capable of 1024x768 rez...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!

pete@minster.york.ac.uk (11/23/90)

There are some interesting rumours about the Jaguar (or whatever)
floating around in the UK at the moment -- a cheap TT designed to boot
from a network seems to be the currently accepted theory. Can anyone in
NetLand confirm or deny this? Does anyone know about O/Ss for it (Tos
2.0? Unix?)