[comp.sys.atari.st] GIF format ?

adm2@doc.ic.ac.uk (Alan David Messer) (11/19/90)

Hi Netters,

	Does anyone one out there knwo whether the '.gif' format is supported
on the Atari St. I really want to be able to convert from popular standard
Atari formats such as Degas or Neochrome to '.gif' and back again.

	And also is this '.gif' format the same as that used on Sun Work -
Stations??

	I have looked on Lancs.pdsoft, but they only seem to have GIFFER ,a
display program for '.gif' pictures.And also Picswitch doesn't seem to support
the '.gif' format.

	And lastly does anyone know why they are called '.gif' ???!???

			Alan.

|  JANET :- ADM2@DOC.IC.AC.UK  |  					     |

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (11/20/90)

++   Does anyone one out there knwo whether the '.gif' format is supported
++   on the Atari St. I really want to be able to convert from popular standard
++   Atari formats such as Degas or Neochrome to '.gif' and back again.

Yes, try BGIF

++   And lastly does anyone know why they are called '.gif' ???!???

Graphics Interchange Format (I believe)

Graham

rmacgreg@cs.strath.ac.uk (Sorcerer) (11/20/90)

In article <2499@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> adm2@doc.ic.ac.uk (Alan David Messer) writes:
[Stuff deleted...]
>	And also is this '.gif' format the same as that used on Sun Work -
>Stations??
It is...

>	And lastly does anyone know why they are called '.gif' ???!???
They are called .gif 'cos it stands for Graphics Interchange Format.

And if anybody knows where I can get a Gif viewer for the ST (or a converter)
then please let me know as well!

                     ___
 _____              /         (rmacgreg @ uk.ac.strath.cs)
   |   |__   __    /___  ___  ___  ___ ___  ___  ___  ___
   |   |  | |__|      / /  / /  / /   /__/ /  / /__/ /  /
   |   |  | |__   ___/ /__/ /    /__ /__  /    /__  /

            is 'Only visiting this planet.'

boyd@fsucs.UUCP (Mickey Boyd) (11/21/90)

In article <2499@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk>, adm2@doc.ic.ac.uk (Alan David Messer) writes:
>	Does anyone one out there knwo whether the '.gif' format is supported
>on the Atari St. I really want to be able to convert from popular standard
>Atari formats such as Degas or Neochrome to '.gif' and back again.
>
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|  JANET :- ADM2@DOC.IC.AC.UK  |  					     |
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

The program of choice here is Digispec.  I believe Alpha Systems sells it.  It
will take a .gif file and convert it into a .sps file (spectrum 512).  It will
then look about as good as it can on the ST (it takes some time to process
each picture).  The resulting .sps file is usually MUCH smaller than the
original .gif.  There is a PD viewing program available for .sps files which
also can compress them into .spc files (I may be backwards about .sps and .spc,
now that I think about it!).  Anyway, if cannot find an add for this company,
send me email and I will dig it out.  Oh, I checked out a couple of PD .gif
file viewers, and none that I saw even came close to the job that Digispec
does.  Usually, .gif files are scanned in at a resolution (and with more
colors) than the ST can display.  Thus, any viewing/converting program must
convert the file the ST's resolution, and reduce the number of colors to
16.  Digispec converts them to have 512 colors, which really makes a difference!
All the PD programs I have seen use only 16 colors, which is what the ST was
designed to display in low rez (16 on the screen at one time).  Hope that
helps!

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up
          FSU Computer Science       |      resembles being too tired."

jgw88@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Webb JE) (11/21/90)

In <5119@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> rmacgreg@cs.strath.ac.uk (Sorcerer) writes:

>In article <2499@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> adm2@doc.ic.ac.uk (Alan David Messer) writes:
>[Stuff deleted...]
>>	And also is this '.gif' format the same as that used on Sun Work -
>>Stations??
>It is...
>>
>>	And lastly does anyone know why they are called '.gif' ???!???
>They are called .gif 'cos it stands for Graphics Interchange Format.

>And if anybody knows where I can get a Gif viewer for the ST (or a converter)
>then please let me know as well!

>                     ___
> _____              /         (rmacgreg @ uk.ac.strath.cs)
>   |   |__   __    /___  ___  ___  ___ ___  ___  ___  ___
>   |   |  | |__|      / /  / /  / /   /__/ /  / /__/ /  /
>   |   |  | |__   ___/ /__/ /    /__ /__  /    /__  /

>            is 'Only visiting this planet.'
If any body is intrested I will UUencode the stuff and send it to those
intrested. I will ARC it then UUencode.  Don't deluge me with enquires,
as I will only do those that appear TOMMOROW (21/11/90-22/11/90).

Sorry, but otherwise the system will sulk.

-- Jason

P.S. If you mailed me earlier (you know who you are), mail me again,
cause I've forgotten your address!!

seb3@GTE.COM (Steve Belczyk) (11/21/90)

In article <647@fsucs.UUCP> boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>All the PD programs I have seen use only 16 colors, which is what the ST was
>designed to display in low rez (16 on the screen at one time).  Hope that
>helps!

My program, GIFSPC, and BGIF (sorry, forgot the author) will both use up
to 512 colors when converting from GIF to Spectrum.  From what I can
tell, it looks like BGIF only uses 16 colors per scan line, whereas
GIFSPC will use all 48 allowed if it can.  (Anyone know for sure about
that?)

If you can't get GIFSPC through anonymous FTP, I'd be happy to Email it
to you.

Steve Belczyk   CIS: 75126,515    BBS: +1 508 664-0149 (2400 bps)
seb3@gte.com    GEnie: sbelczyk   UUCP: {harvard,vaxine}!bunny!seb3

rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) (11/22/90)

In article <647@fsucs.UUCP> boyd@fsucs.UUCP (Mickey Boyd) writes:

|The program of choice here is Digispec.  I believe Alpha Systems sells it.  It
|will take a .gif file and convert it into a .sps file (spectrum 512).  It will
|then look about as good as it can on the ST (it takes some time to process
|each picture).  The resulting .sps file is usually MUCH smaller than the
|original .gif.  There is a PD viewing program available for .sps files which
|also can compress them into .spc files (I may be backwards about .sps and .spc,
|now that I think about it!).

A few corrections: First, Digispec is from Trio Engineering, the
creators of Spectrum 512, and costs ~$40.  Its primary purpose is for
use with their digitizer; gif conversion is an add-on.  Second, it will
let you save the result as either an _.spu_ or an .spc file, the latter
being the default.  Every Spectrum viewing program I've seen will work
with either of these.  Sps is a more compressed representation,
apparently _not_ developed by Trio; .sps files require spslidex (PD) to
view or convert, I'm told.

Digispec does indeed do a better job, not surprisingly, than the PD
converters Bgif and Gifspec.  The picture quality is better, the files
are smaller, and you can adjust brightness, contrast, color mix, and
dithering scheme as desired.  On the down side, it cuts the top or
bottom (your choice) off of tall gifs, and it screws up the aspect ratio
on the most un-square gifs.

I've seen enough questions on this issue (including my own, a few months
ago) to think there should be something in a periodic FAQ posting on it.
Comments?

--
 RICHARD LEE     rlee@ads.com  or  ...!{sri-spam | ames}!zodiac!rlee
 415-960-7300    ADS, 1500 Plymouth St., Mtn. View CA 94043-1230

<ACPS7028@Ryerson.CA> (11/25/90)

Hi, there is are .GIF viewers for the ST.  Two which I know of are Fast Gif and
 View Gif.  You should be able to get it from most boards around, if not you

can write to:

(for View GIF)   4-319 Mackay St.      (for Fast GIF)
                 Ottawa, Ontario       Bradford W. Mott
                 Canada                RT 2 Box 135 1/2 A
                 K1M 2B7               Harrells, NC 28444