[comp.sys.atari.st] STe troubles, video weirdness

Sorry to stir up the pot with what seems to be a now-dead subject, but I don't
recall the resolution of all the horror stories, and now have a (horrifying)
1040STe of my own to deal with. The main problem I'm having is that just
about everything that loads up gets partially written onto video memory. I get
vertical lines, I figure 16 pixels apart. I would have expected a plain-old
overwrite problem to wipe out a couple rows, starting at the top of the screen.
Instead I get 1 pixel wide vertical lines, evenly spaced out, and occasionally
the bottom of the screen gets trashed. What's going on?

The STe arrived with the STE_FIX program in the AUTO folder of its language
disk. Can't boot into medium resolution without it. Yeehah.

Along other lines... I just started using ICD's boot stuff with this new
host adapter... Apparently, whenever the driver detects a write failure, the
thing shifts the video into medium resolution. What I'm seeing is on my
multisync monitor in monochrome mode, all of a sudden there'll be a glitch and
my screen has been divided in half, vertically down the middle. Everything is
drawn in both the left and right halves of the screen. The screen borders are
resized, and look like the color rez borders, but everything stays in black and
white. The preferences menu still says high rez. This is incredibly annoying,
as well as making some stuff unreadable. (Although some of it is interesting,
really. Anyone for a 4 pixel wide font? 160 columns of text. Oooo....) It says
it's version 4.8.4, by the way.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.085041.25605@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>Along other lines... I just started using ICD's boot stuff with this new
>host adapter... Apparently, whenever the driver detects a write failure, the
>thing shifts the video into medium resolution. What I'm seeing is on my
>multisync monitor in monochrome mode, all of a sudden there'll be a glitch and
>my screen has been divided in half, vertically down the middle. Everything is
>drawn in both the left and right halves of the screen...
>--
>  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

I've seen the same thing (with the double mono screen - a cheap two-page
monitor!) This happened when I was using a multisync in mono mode - overnight
I turn off the monitor but leave the ST on - when I came in the next morning
and turned on the monitor I saw what you describe. I suspect it has something
to do with the synchronizing circuitry in the monitor becoming confused (in
my case, when I turned on the monitor with the ST already on). Perhaps your
ICD driver/STe is pulsing the horizontal sync in such a way that the monitor
gets confused...

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

jvt@its.bt.co.uk (John Trickey) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov20.085041.25605@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>Sorry to stir up the pot with what seems to be a now-dead subject, but I don't
>recall the resolution of all the horror stories, and now have a (horrifying)
>1040STe of my own to deal with. The main problem I'm having is that just
>about everything that loads up gets partially written onto video memory. I get
>vertical lines, I figure 16 pixels apart. I would have expected a plain-old
>overwrite problem to wipe out a couple rows, starting at the top of the screen.
>Instead I get 1 pixel wide vertical lines, evenly spaced out, and occasionally
>the bottom of the screen gets trashed. What's going on?
>
>The STe arrived with the STE_FIX program in the AUTO folder of its language
>disk. Can't boot into medium resolution without it. Yeehah.
>
>Along other lines... I just started using ICD's boot stuff with this new
>host adapter... Apparently, whenever the driver detects a write failure, the
>thing shifts the video into medium resolution. What I'm seeing is on my
>multisync monitor in monochrome mode, all of a sudden there'll be a glitch and
>my screen has been divided in half, vertically down the middle. Everything is
>drawn in both the left and right halves of the screen. The screen borders are
>resized, and look like the color rez borders, but everything stays in black and
>white. The preferences menu still says high rez. This is incredibly annoying,
>as well as making some stuff unreadable. (Although some of it is interesting,
>really. Anyone for a 4 pixel wide font? 160 columns of text. Oooo....) It says
>it's version 4.8.4, by the way.

OUCH!

Firstly apologies for including most of the original but I felt deletions
would destroy the sense of Howard's message.

I too have an ICD host adaptor with the same software.  However I do not
have STE_FIX and I am certainly not getting most of these problems.  The
only one I get is not booting Med-Res if the desktop is saved in Lo or Med.
One *simple* fix I've found is to save the desktop in Hi-res then when
you boot with a colour monitor it comes up in Med.

I believe there is a hardware bug in the latest ICD board.  I have contacted
them & they are sending me a daughter board "which will cure it".
Cannot confirm yet as Snail Mail is still doing its worst!!  The
problem is around noise on the DMA bus.  To see if you have this problem,
turn on write verify.  If it reports error, you probably have read errors
also.  A short term fix is to find a DMA lead which allows the disk
to write without error but it will vary from drive to drive.  This
may be the cause of your other problems - no promises though.

John.
--
John Trickey <jvt@its.bt.co.uk> || ..!mcsun!ukc!axion!its
              G4REV @ GB7SUT      Voice: +44 21 333 3369

In article <1751@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>I've seen the same thing (with the double mono screen - a cheap two-page
>monitor!) This happened when I was using a multisync in mono mode - overnight
>I turn off the monitor but leave the ST on - when I came in the next morning
>and turned on the monitor I saw what you describe. I suspect it has something
>to do with the synchronizing circuitry in the monitor becoming confused (in
>my case, when I turned on the monitor with the ST already on). Perhaps your
>ICD driver/STe is pulsing the horizontal sync in such a way that the monitor
>gets confused...

Well, I've seen it in low-rez mode now, too. In mono, what happens is the
video shifter gets set to medium rez, but lineA, VDI, AES, etc., aren't
notified of any change. From low-rez mode, you get the same vertical
division of the screen, only this time, the right half is black. It's really
strange, I didn't think the way memory was mapped would allow something
coherent to be displayed when modes shifted like this, but there's no
scrambling at all.
--

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov25.005225.20937@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>In article <1751@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>>I've seen the same thing (with the double mono screen - a cheap two-page
>>monitor!) This happened when I was using a multisync in mono mode...

>Well, I've seen it in low-rez mode now, too. In mono, what happens is the
>video shifter gets set to medium rez, but lineA, VDI, AES, etc., aren't
>notified of any change...

>  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Are you sure that it is in the ST? I'm assuming that the weirdness is being
caused by the multi-sync circuitry of the monitor, since this seems never to
have shown up on a non-multisync, and I find it very unlikely that the video
circuitry in the ST could 'accidentally' send out each scan line _twice_ on
the same line...seems that this would require a doubling of the horizontal
scan rate since no information is being lost.