[comp.sys.atari.st] 2 questions on memory expansion

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (11/26/90)

Let's take these separately:
1.  I've got a 520ST...not the oldest, but rather the one that
has the rf modulator in it AND an external power supply.  Now,
can this machine handle an internal upgrade to 4 Meg?  I seem
to recall there could be some problem with the power supply
not being able to handle all the memory...what is going on
here?
2.  Does anybody know how to get in touch with Frontier
Software from the USA?  They are a company in Great Britain
that manufactures an external memory expansion module for the
ST.  I've got a couple of questions about it (e.g. where does
it connect, any limitations on how much memory a particular
machine can handle, etc), and I thought it would make most
sense to ask them directly.
Thanks very much.  You can email me directly, or post here.
--Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
maxg@suvm  (bitnet)

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov25.213232.17161@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

>1.  I've got a 520ST...not the oldest, but rather the one that
>has the rf modulator in it AND an external power supply.  Now,
>can this machine handle an internal upgrade to 4 Meg?  I seem
>to recall there could be some problem with the power supply
>not being able to handle all the memory...what is going on
>here?
>Thanks very much.  You can email me directly, or post here.
>--Gerry
>ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
>maxg@suvm  (bitnet)

What is the rating of the power supply?  How many watts (or volts/amps)
can it output?  That would help a lot.  If it's about the same as a Mega's
PS rating, you'll have plenty!  (since you don't have the internal floppy
to power.)

John Cummins cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu

thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu (John Thaanum) (11/28/90)

I own an old 520 with the same rf mod/power supply configuration.  Even if
the power supply puts out enough juice for 4 meg, I have heard that there
isn't enough room under the rf shield and outer plastic housing for all those
ram chips.  If anybody has info to contradict me, I want to know 'cause
someday I would like to have 4 meg as well.

While we are on the subject of Paleozoic Era hardware, could somebody tell
me what I have?  I bought my computer used last year.  My floppy drives and
power supply are external.  I have an RF modulator.  I met the guy I bought
this from back in Sept '87, and he owned it at the time, so I know it is at
least 3 years old.  I also know it is TOS 1.0.  I have had the lid off this
sucker several times, but I don't know how many chips my roms are. 2?  6?
Which ones are they so I could count them?  A few months ago there was a post
about "bad" MMU's.  What was that part number again?  Is mine likely to have
it?  It probably makes more sense to get a Mega or an STE instead of expanding
this machine, but I am too broke to buy a new one and too sentimantal to part
with this one.  If anybody can answer all/some of these questions, I would
appreciate it greatly.

		   John Thaanum                          ## ## ##
	  email: thaanuj@prism.cs.orst.edu               ## ## ##
	  snail: 1335 NW Kings Bv. Apt #B5               ## ## ##
		 Corvallis, OR 97330                     ## ## ##
	  voice: (503)-753-2361                         ##  ##  ##
        **Clever quotes and disclaimers are**         ###   ##   ###
        **strrrrrictly prrrrrrohibited.....**       ###     ##     ###

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov27.194228.23150@d.cs.okstate.edu> cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) writes:
>In article <1990Nov25.213232.17161@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>>1.  I've got a 520ST...not the oldest, but rather the one that
>>has the rf modulator in it AND an external power supply.  Now,
>>can this machine handle an internal upgrade to 4 Meg?  I seem
>>to recall there could be some problem with the power supply
>>not being able to handle all the memory...what is going on
>>here?
>>--Gerry
>
>What is the rating of the power supply?  How many watts (or volts/amps)
>can it output?  That would help a lot.  If it's about the same as a Mega's
>PS rating, you'll have plenty!  (since you don't have the internal floppy
>to power.)
>John Cummins cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu
On the bottom of the power supply is written:
Output:  5VDC 3A
	+12VDC 0.03A
	-12VDC 0.03A
Does that mean I've got enough power for 4 meg? or not?...(I
thought the fact that the external drives have their own power
supplies might help here, too.)
--Gerry

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (11/28/90)

This message is empty.

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.103338.22377@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

>On the bottom of the power supply is written:
>Output:  5VDC 3A
>    	+12VDC 0.03A
>	-12VDC 0.03A
>Does that mean I've got enough power for 4 meg? or not?...(I
>thought the fact that the external drives have their own power
>supplies might help here, too.)
>--Gerry

15.7 watts isn't much...  I'm no authority on STs, but it sounds like your
close to the edge there.  Keep a voltmeter handy when you upgrade, and if
the voltages drop much when you add the memory (and the machine acts flakey)
you need a larger PS.  Which should be easy to find...  (jameco and a few
other paarts houses have odd Power Supplies in abundance! Just cut off
the cord that comes with it, and replace it with your cord...)

jc   cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu