[comp.sys.atari.st] HacMan II premiers at atari.archive

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (11/27/90)

   Access to the Internet has its privileges.  Now YOU can be the first
person on the block to own a copy of HacMan II, the sequel to HacMan,
released back in 1987.  Atari.archive are the proud sponsers of the
first official release version.

   To play the game, you'll need a color ST (any vintage) with at least
one meg of RAM.  The game will run from single-sided floppies if
necessary.

   HacMan II was developed with some game design tools that will
(eventually) be made publicly available (see the docs for more
info), so I am very interested in hearing of ANY problems anyone has
with the game on ANY hardware/software configuration.  Please report
any odd behavior you see.  Thanks!

Look for atari/games/hacman2.zoo at atari.archive.umich.edu.  Be sure
to FTP in binary mode and extract paths when unzoo-ing:

	zoo x// hacman2.zoo

Once again, if you don't have at least one meg and a color monitor
the game will not run.  The readme.doc file contains installation
info.

What's New in HacMan II?
------------------------

   Many people complained about the lack of sound in HacMan, so HacMan II
has all digitized sound effects.  (I hope you all are satisfied.)  In
addition, HacMan II has these new "features":

	o  100 new levels
	o  Four new ghosts
	o  Cameo appearances by many other creatures
	o  Puzzle boards
	o  Skips (skip a board you hate by pressing the space bar)
	o  Ghost hit/miss statistics
	o  Secret warps
	o  A surprise or two for the really devoted

The entire HacMan II design team (see the credits screen) hopes you'll
enjoy the game.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

PS> If anyone out there has a TT and could try the game out, please
    let me know how it goes.  Thanks...

uace0@menudo.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (11/29/90)

Yay!  This game is professional quality at its best!  Y'all have outdone
yourselves!

I could have easily spent all day playing it on our TT (yes, it works great on
our TT - sounds and all), but I've got work to do.

Bravo!

Unfortunately, the docs didn't say what files belonged in what directory, so I
had to go digging in the program to find the path names.  For all of y'all who
try to get it running, here is what I found:

Folder DISK1 contains the following folders:

PICS
FILMS

In DISK1\PICS put the files: disk2, loading, title and opening
in DISK1\FILMS put the file 2.flm

Folder DISK2 contains the following folders:

PICS
FILMS
SAMPLES
FONTS

In DISK2\PICS put the following files: front and board
in DISK2\FILMS put all the .FLM files
in DISK2\SAMPLES put all the files with number extenders in there
In DISK2\FONTS put all the .FNT files

This will get it running.  The ZOO archive did not have the directories in it,
so I had a wee bit of trouble.

Dave, give us a call so we can shower you with some accolades!  :-)

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Voice: (713)977-6520 | DC DESKTOP | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.192115.13894@menudo.uh.edu>
That excellent judge of quality, (Michael B. Vederman) writes:

>Yay!  This game is professional quality at its best!  Y'all have outdone
>yourselves!
>
>I could have easily spent all day playing it on our TT (yes, it works great on
>our TT - sounds and all), but I've got work to do.
>
>Bravo!

Glad to hear you like it, and (especially) that it has no trouble with the TT.

>Unfortunately, the docs didn't say what files belonged in what directory, so I
>had to go digging in the program to find the path names.  For all of y'all who
>try to get it running, here is what I found:

Did you extract it with

	zoo x// hacman2.zoo

to get full paths?  I was hoping people would do this, but perhaps I
should just upload it as an LZH file so there is no option...Too bad
compressed tars aren't standard on the ST.

To anyone who's had similar problems, please try extracting
full pathnames.  The game will NOT LIKE IT AT ALL if it finds files
missing, and NOTE that some files are only loaded when you get to certain
boards.  This means that if you don't have all the stuff in the right
places you may get to a board with no shapes, sounds, etc...

If anyone's having trouble, please D/L the new .LZH file at atari.archive
(to appear RSN).

Sorry about the confusion everyone.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.192115.13894@menudo.uh.edu> uace0@menudo.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) writes:
>[ raves about great game and drops names like "TT".  Show off! :-]
>Unfortunately, the docs didn't say what files belonged in what directory, so I
>had to go digging in the program to find the path names.  For all of y'all who
>try to get it running, here is what I found:
>[...]

	Dave posted that to extract it, run zoo with this in the command
line:
	x// hacman2.zoo

	That's a great idea, and it works perfectly -- but not from the ST
desktop.  It uppercases the arguments, remember??  After bashing _my_ head
against the wall for a bit, I remembered this, fired up gulam (thank you
Jwahar Bammi!) and typed

	zoo x//. hacman2.zoo *.*

to extract it into the current directory.

	Great game, Dave!  Nice to have a decent game that can be put
on the HD.  Anyone know how to put Stunt Track Racer, DM I & II,
Arkanoid II, GoldRunner II, and a few other of my favourite entertainment
software titles on the hard drive?

	By the way, what are people's experience with Space Ace?  I just
got a brand new floppy that seems to work great on everything I have,
except of course on my friends Space Ace game.  Two of my friends can
boot it, but nobody else seems to be able to.  What do I do about it?

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca