[comp.sys.atari.st] New upload to atari.archive

millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (09/19/90)

I just u/l'd the following files to atari.archive.umich.edu

maccel33.lzh    -  maccel mouse accellerator 3 ver 3.3 from Atari
                   (nice job Ken B. !)
magic.lzh       -  makes the mouse pointer "sparkle" as you move the mouse
opusnr1.lzh     -  Game: opus number one, mono one.  Seek and destroy the
                   enemy glider.  Nicely done 3-d vectors.

|                 Todd Miller - millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU                     |
|           Meet the new boss, just the same as old boss - The Who             |

entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) (09/19/90)

In article <26516@boulder.Colorado.EDU> millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) writes:
   I just u/l'd the following files to atari.archive.umich.edu

   maccel33.lzh    -  maccel mouse accellerator 3 ver 3.3 from Atari
		      (nice job Ken B. !)
   magic.lzh       -  makes the mouse pointer "sparkle" as you move the mouse
   opusnr1.lzh     -  Game: opus number one, mono one.  Seek and destroy the
		      enemy glider.  Nicely done 3-d vectors.

When posting about recent uploads, please make sure you spell the name
correctly!  The directory is unreadable, so the only way anyone can
find it is if they know the filename.  "maccel33.lzh" is actually
stored there as "maccell33.lzh" (note the extra "l").  I found this by
experimenting, and got lucky.

nick

p.s. Why on earth is the directory unreadable?  That's nuts!

Internet:  ncastellano@eagle.wesleyan.edu || entropy@ai.mit.edu
Bitnet:    ncastellano@wesleyan.bitnet
Citadel:   Sinkhole!dEADHEAd [@mast.citadel.moundst.mn.org]
Sniktnet:  snikt!entropy

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (09/19/90)

In article <10826@life.ai.mit.edu> entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) writes:
>p.s. Why on earth is the directory unreadable?  That's nuts!

We have our reasons, but thank you for questioning our sanity anyway.

Making the new directory unreadable is supposed to prevent users from
accessing the files there. This gives us a chance to preview what's there
before the world gets a chance to retrieve it. This policy was started
after some fool uploaded TOS 1.4. If Atari had an over zealous legal
department like some companies (read: Apple, the evil empire) we could
have had some real trouble.

Things rarely stay in the new directory for longer than 24 hours. If
that is unacceptable to you, you may take your business elsewhere.

Jon Brode  --  jon@atari.archive.umich.edu			Jesse '92!
 Supreme Allied Umich Atari Archive Commander (and humble too!)
--
Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu			Jesse '92!
"Don't you just love Prince?"  -Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts)

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (09/20/90)

In article <10826@life.ai.mit.edu> entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) writes:
>[speaking about the /atari/new directory at atari.archive.umich.edu:]
>
>p.s. Why on earth is the directory unreadable?  That's nuts!

Well, I can't speak for the people at atari.archive, but it makes sense to me.
This prevents people from pulling things from the archive before they have
been tested by people there. I'm sure if someone got a virus from the new
directory they would be screaming at the archive people, even though it's not
at all their fault.  It also prevents people from (accidentally or otherwise)
deleting files from there.  I personally don't think people should announce
that they've posted things there until they have been moved to their
appropriate locations for the above reasons.

Try to remember, "ftp is not a right, but a privilege". They can run it any
way they please.

---jb

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.163839.12496@math.lsa.umich.edu> dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:
>In article <10826@life.ai.mit.edu> entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) writes:
>>p.s. Why on earth is the directory unreadable?  That's nuts!
>
>We have our reasons, but thank you for questioning our sanity anyway.
>
>Making the new directory unreadable is supposed to prevent users from
>accessing the files there. This gives us a chance to preview what's there
>before the world gets a chance to retrieve it. This policy was started
>after some fool uploaded TOS 1.4. If Atari had an over zealous legal
>department like some companies (read: Apple, the evil empire) we could
>have had some real trouble.

  good idea.  I own an apple and read comp.sys.apple and recently, someone
  uploaded midisynth demo and system disk 5.0.2 to an FTP site and the
  apple people got REAL pissed.

[munch munch]
>Jon Brode  --  jon@atari.archive.umich.edu			Jesse '92!
> Supreme Allied Umich Atari Archive Commander (and humble too!)
>--
>Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu			Jesse '92!
>"Don't you just love Prince?"  -Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts)
>"More than life itself." -Edward Lewis (Richard Gere)     from "Pretty Woman"

Collin Douglas

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.163839.12496@math.lsa.umich.edu> dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) writes:
   In article <10826@life.ai.mit.edu> entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) writes:
   >p.s. Why on earth is the directory unreadable?  That's nuts!
   [...]
   Things rarely stay in the new directory for longer than 24 hours. If
   that is unacceptable to you, you may take your business elsewhere.
   [...]

OK, I assumed new stuff lived there for a while, and was unaware of
the existence of the atari/newitems directory, which contains new
(verified) uploads.  I stand corrected.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/20/90)

Jon Brode writes:
>   ...  This policy was started
>after some fool uploaded TOS 1.4. If Atari had an over zealous legal
>department like some companies (read: Apple, the evil empire) we could
>have had some real trouble.

Jon... you obviously never had Neil Harris threaten to crush your nuts or
call the FBI on you because you had NeoChrome 0.9 available for download
(after he himself said that 1.0 would be the commercial release), or
the Breakout ACCessory that everyone else had for download, or the
CP/M emulator, or the VT-100 emulator...

Luckily the FBI just laughed at him...

BobR

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (09/21/90)

In article <34096@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Jon Brode writes:
>>If Atari had an over zealous legal
>>department like some companies (read: Apple, the evil empire) we could
>>have had some real trouble.
>
>Jon... you obviously never had Neil Harris threaten to crush your nuts or
>call the FBI

I don't know what happened when Neil used to be around. Maybe
incidents like that are part of the reason he got canned. Or maybe
he was just giving you a hard time, it doesn't sound like an lawyers
got involved.

At any rate, I recieved a polite message from Alan Pratt asking me to
remove it. No complaints here.

Jon
--
Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu			Jesse '92!
"Don't you just love Prince?"  -Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts)
"More than life itself." -Edward Lewis (Richard Gere)     from "Pretty Woman"

7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/27/90)

Hi! Here is a description of a recent (mono) game upload to atari.archive.
Enjoy!
Adele

ESPRIT
Excellent game from the author of Bolo, Meinolf Schneider.
Roll the ball through a maze and touch certain bumpers, trying to match
them up...kind of like Concentration. Great sound, great graphics, original
concept. UnARC with ARC602 as there are subdirectories. Will require an
extended format disk with around 800K (Use DC Format or similar utility).
STE users who have 2.5 meg of memory and are using 'simmfix' may have
problems with this game. Mouse driven. Mono only.

         Adele Fraser          |   Bitnet: 7103_3654@uwovax.bitnet
      Dept of Mathematics      |   Internet: 7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca
 University of Western Ontario |
    London, Ontario, Canada    |   Phone:    (Math Dept)
           N6A 5B7             |          519-661-3638 x 6539

stevela@beach.csulb.edu (Steve La) (11/28/90)

In article <7888.27523ca0@uwovax.uwo.ca> 7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
-
-   Hi! Here is a description of a recent (mono) game upload to atari.archive.
-   Enjoy!
-   Adele
-
-   ESPRIT
-   Excellent game from the author of Bolo, Meinolf Schneider.
-   Roll the ball through a maze and touch certain bumpers, trying to match
-   them up...kind of like Concentration. Great sound, great graphics, original
-   concept. UnARC with ARC602 as there are subdirectories. Will require an
-   extended format disk with around 800K (Use DC Format or similar utility).
-   STE users who have 2.5 meg of memory and are using 'simmfix' may have
-   problems with this game. Mouse driven. Mono only.
-
-   --
-   ---------------------------------------------------------------------
-	    Adele Fraser          |   Bitnet: 7103_3654@uwovax.bitnet
-	 Dept of Mathematics      |   Internet: 7103_3654@uwovax.uwo.ca
-    University of Western Ontario |
-       London, Ontario, Canada    |   Phone:    (Math Dept)
-	      N6A 5B7             |          519-661-3638 x 6539
-   ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I store and run the game 'esprit' from the hard disk?
thanks,
Steve
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Steve La                             California State University Long Beach |
| Internet: SteveLa@CSULB.EDU                              Telecommunications |
|    Voice: (213) 985-4750          1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach CA 90840 |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
--
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Steve La                             California State University Long Beach |
| Internet: SteveLa@CSULB.EDU                              Telecommunications |
|    Voice: (213) 985-4750          1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach CA 90840 |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
--
| Steve La                             California State University Long Beach |
| Internet: SteveLa@CSULB.EDU                              Telecommunications |
|    Voice: (213) 985-4750          1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach CA 90840 |

stefan@hpbbi4.BBN.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) (11/30/90)

ESPRIT is copyrighted. You have to buy it from Application System Heidelberg.

The Game OXYD is shareware (or Dongle like the autor named it).

Someone should remove this illegal copy

Stefan