[comp.sys.atari.st] Drive alignment/damaged disks? Help!

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/28/90)

I just recently bought a used 1040ST, and within a half hour of
unpacking it (it was mailed), it was bombing, freezing, and
giving me "unreadable disk" warnings out the wazoo. I have two
questions - does this sound like a problem with the drive head
going out of alignment (as a result of shipping), and if so, are
the "unreadable" and unbootable disks likely to be damaged now
as a result of being put in the machine? I ask because at least
one of the disks was copy-protected (DungeonMaster), and another
was the Disk Doctor! (how ironic...). Too bad Lawrence is so far
from the nearest service shop. I doubt there's another Atari ST in
the entire town! I don't suppose there's anything I could do myself
about a drive problem??
Doug Yanega        (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
My card: 0 The Fool         "UT!"          Bitnet: kuento@ukanvax
"This is my theory, such as it is....which is mine. AAH-HEM!"

cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu (John Cummins) (11/28/90)

What I did in a similar situation (it was a drive problem) was
seek out prices and compatabilities of 720k drive mechanisms.

I ended up with an Toshiba ND552 for about $65, with the incompatability
of requiring the media change switch to be glued down.  No problem, a
3 minute job.  The Atari senses disk changes by monitering the write
protect lines, and ignores the media change lines.  The ND352 disconnects the
write protect lines when the disk is ejected, therefore there is no
change in their status when you remove a disk.  The Atari didn't know
I had changed the disk (until I glued down the switch for the media detect).

$70.00....  No biggie (IMHO)

Good luck!
John Cummins cummins@d.cs.okstate.edu

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (11/28/90)

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Doug Yanega) writes:

- I just recently bought a used 1040ST, and within a half hour of
- unpacking it (it was mailed), it was bombing, freezing, and giving
- me "unreadable disk" warnings out the wazoo.

Open up the computer and reseat the chips.  I don't think a drive
alignment problem would cause bombing and freezing, but a few loose
chips (from the shipping) could very well cause all those symptoms.

- I have two questions - does this sound like a problem with the drive
- head going out of alignment (as a result of shipping), and if so,
- are the "unreadable" and unbootable disks likely to be damaged now
- as a result of being put in the machine? I ask because at least one
- of the disks was copy-protected (DungeonMaster), and another was the
- Disk Doctor! (how ironic...).

If the problem really was a drive alignment problem, the disks would
still be readable if they haven't been written to using the drive
that was misaligned.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov28.055017.27984@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Doug Yanega) writes:
>- I just recently bought a used 1040ST, and within a half hour of
>- unpacking it (it was mailed), it was bombing, freezing, and giving
>- me "unreadable disk" warnings out the wazoo.
>
>Open up the computer and reseat the chips.  I don't think a drive
>alignment problem would cause bombing and freezing, but a few loose
>chips (from the shipping) could very well cause all those symptoms.
>
>- I have two questions - does this sound like a problem with the drive
>- head going out of alignment (as a result of shipping), and if so,
>- are the "unreadable" and unbootable disks likely to be damaged now
>- as a result of being put in the machine? I ask because at least one
>- of the disks was copy-protected (DungeonMaster), and another was the
>- Disk Doctor! (how ironic...).
>
>If the problem really was a drive alignment problem, the disks would
>still be readable if they haven't been written to using the drive
>that was misaligned.
>         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
I think Ed's advice is probably sound.  If you know what
you're doing inside an ST, go ahead...if you don't, however,
I'd recommend sending it to someone who does.  I had a similar
problem with my 520 a while back...at first it gave
"unreadable disk" warnings, but then after a bit it simply
booted without acknowledging the existence of a floppy drive.
I called L&Y Electronics in VA and they said they have an $85
flat fee repair for things like this.  When I got it back, I
found that they had replaced the GLU chip, and now everything
is fine.
I have no connection with L&Y other than being a satisfied
customer...I have nothing but praise for their service, and
would recommend their work without hesitation.  They mailed
out my machine this time 2 days after they got it.
Good luck,
Gerry

roberson@aurs01.UUCP (Charles "Chip" Roberson) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.101526.19155@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>I have no connection with L&Y other than being a satisfied
>customer...I have nothing but praise for their service, and
>would recommend their work without hesitation.  They mailed
>out my machine this time 2 days after they got it.
>Good luck,
>Gerry

I can also vouch for L&Y.  I have been into their shop several times
and I think very highly of them.  They are a small but stable family
run shop and they have been supporting Atari since the 800.  They are
my preferred place to shop and if anything ever went wrong with my ST
they would be the first place I would send it.

Standard disclaimers apply.

cheers,
 -chip

* Work:  2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC 27609  (919) 850-5011
* (...!mcnc!aurgate!roberson) || (roberson%aurgate@mcnc.org) ||
* (71500.2056@CompuServe.com) || (Chip.Roberson@f112.n151.z1.fidonet.org)
#include <disclaimer.h>