[net.wanted] info wanted on 80186 cpu

kevin@gitpyr.UUCP (Kevin Campbell) (02/21/86)

I have recently seen an ad in Byte magazine (Jan 86) about the AMPRO
little board/186.  I am interested in any information that anyone might
have as far as this cpu goes.  It states in the ad that it is IBMPC
compatible, and yet more powerful.  I see also that the board is the size
of a 5 1/4 inch disk drive, thus making it very compact.
  Does anyone know if it is expandable?  and if so, how?
I would appreciate any and all information that you might be able to give
me.
  Thank you very much in advance.

--
Kevin Campbell
Office of Computing Services

UUCP:   ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kevin
        ...!{rlgvax,sbl,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!kevin

BITNET: CCOPRKC @ GITVM1

rde@ukc.UUCP (02/25/86)

In article <1449@gitpyr.UUCP> kevin@gitpyr.UUCP writes:
>I have recently seen an ad in Byte magazine (Jan 86) about the AMPRO
>little board/186.  I am interested in any information that anyone might
>have as far as this cpu goes.  It states in the ad that it is IBMPC
>compatible, and yet more powerful.  I see also that the board is the size
>of a 5 1/4 inch disk drive, thus making it very compact.
>  Does anyone know if it is expandable?  and if so, how?
>I would appreciate any and all information that you might be able to give
>me.

I  don't know anything about the actual machine. But if it uses an 80186
then there will be some inevitable  incompatibilities  because  the  186
uses  on-chip  DMA,  whereas  the 8086 uses a separate chip (unless this
machine uses a separate chip too and ignores the on-chip  facilities;  I
don' know if that is possible).  For 86 read 88 wherever applicable.

I  think  there  are  other CPU incompatibilities (apart from the actual
enhancements in  the  186  which  don't  matter  since  they're  upwards
compatible).
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP