[comp.sys.atari.st] STart classics are a rip-off..

n8742883@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) (11/29/90)

	For the past few issues, STart has been proudly announcing
their "STart classics" which they issue with the disk based
subscription.  The STart classics are nothing more than old programs
which they have already distributed with their subscriptions in past
issues, and are now being re-distributed for "new subscribers" who may
not have purchased them yet.

	I find this a load of horse kapooey.  A disk subscription
costs around $80 per year. As I have been a faithful STart
subscriber for about four years now, my faithfulness has now been met
by selling me software that I already own-- and last month's "STart
classic" was a program that I never used when I recieved it the fist
time.  I feel that STart is ripping me off with this deal, and I plan
to write a letter of complaint to the magazine-- what good that will
do me.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has similar feelings as
my own.

	Time to get off the soapbox here,

     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
    *           *			   GEnie: P.PEDERSON
     ****       *		           Voice: (206) 676-2536
	 *      *
    *****       *
     +++++      +
	  +	+	'I' before 'E' except after 'C'....
       +++	 +
      +		 +		... We sure live in a weird society!
       +++++   ++++++

lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) (11/30/90)

I canceled my subscription to STart.  One reason was because of
repeated programs on disk.  I also got fed up with Atari and their
false announcements.  I don't hold much hope for Atari in this country
(US) anymore.
--

Dean Lodzinski         DEAN_L@TURBO.Kean.edu, lodzins@pilot.njin.net
47 Mercury Circle      csra19@TURBO.Kean.edu or D.LODZINSKI on GEnie

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (12/01/90)

Perry Penderson writes:
> < some stuff about STart classic programs deleted >
>
>	I find this a load of horse kapooey.  A disk subscription
> costs around $80 per year. As I have been a faithful STart
> subscriber for about four years now, my faithfulness has now been met
> by selling me software that I already own-- and last month's "STart
> classic" was a program that I never used when I recieved it the fist
> time.  I feel that STart is ripping me off with this deal, and I plan
> to write a letter of complaint to the magazine-- what good that will
> do me.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has similar feelings as
> my own.

I've been a long time STart subscriber, as well, and I think the STart
Classic programs are kind of bogus too. I'd wager a fair percentage of
those 'new' subscribers from ST-Log already had STart subs. and the
new subscribers from Analog don't care what's on the disk, cuz they're
8-bitters!

But, on the plus side, they're moving to double sided format next issue.
This will effectively double the amount of software they're able to
include with each issue. So that'll be an improvement in the amount
stuff they'll be putting on each issue.

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* 2001 Danfield Ct. MS470A        *                                      */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado 80525    * "This mind intentionally left blank" */
/* (303)223-5100 X-319             *    All standard disclaimers apply    */