[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Transputer

csual@warwick.ac.uk (Jas) (11/30/90)

   I recently posted an article regarding a proposed transputer add-on for the
ST, and asked if anyone wanted further details. Enough people have replied for
me to post the rest, so here it is.
  Before I start though, I want to stress that this add-on DOES NOT yet exist,
and may never do, it could just be vapourware but I'm going to pass it on
anyway as it sounds pretty interesting. All this info comes from the Dec.1990
issue of ST Format.

  Atari are supposedly working on an ST-based transputer workstation "at a
price observers believe is simply astonishing". Full tech.spec. is a long way
off, but it is likely to attach by the DMA socket and enable the ST to run at
15-20 MIPS, compared to the ST's 1 MIPS.
  The price is supposed to be about 300-400 pounds, making it an incredibly
attractive sounding graphics workstation.
  It is NOT just a rehashed ATW, it is a completely separate project.
  Andy Leaning of Silica (major U.K. ST dealers) is quoted as saying that the
unit is "bobbing around on the horizon", but "nothing official".

  That's about the face of it - if you want to read it with a pinch of
salt, that's probably a good idea, but it does sound VERY interesting. And
they are talking about a summer 1991 release...

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.120037.24132@warwick.ac.uk> csual@warwick.ac.uk (Jas) writes:
[...]
>  Before I start though, I want to stress that this add-on DOES NOT yet exist,
>and may never do, it could just be vapourware but I'm going to pass it on
>anyway as it sounds pretty interesting. All this info comes from the Dec.1990
>issue of ST Format.
>
>  Atari are supposedly working on an ST-based transputer workstation "at a
>price observers believe is simply astonishing". Full tech.spec. is a long way
>off, but it is likely to attach by the DMA socket and enable the ST to run at
>15-20 MIPS, compared to the ST's 1 MIPS.
>  The price is supposed to be about 300-400 pounds, making it an incredibly
>attractive sounding graphics workstation.
>  It is NOT just a rehashed ATW, it is a completely separate project.
>  Andy Leaning of Silica (major U.K. ST dealers) is quoted as saying that the
>unit is "bobbing around on the horizon", but "nothing official".
>
>  That's about the face of it - if you want to read it with a pinch of
>salt, that's probably a good idea, but it does sound VERY interesting. And
>they are talking about a summer 1991 release...

This isn't intended as a flame, but I'd swear I heard of a rumorware
ST transputer hang-on as long ago as 1987.  I'm sure it can be done,
and perhaps someone in an Atari lab's even built them by the dozen,
but I take entire BLOCKS of salt when anyone suggests something from
Atari is "on the horizon".  (The "event horizon" of a black hole,
perhaps... :)  The TT has been "on the horizon" since '87, at least.
--
"The goons are riding motorcycles, but WE'VE  | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 got a whole big metal car! This will be like | The Apollo Systems Division of

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (12/01/90)

Didn' Kuma have several versions of tranputer cards MANY years ago?

Ed June

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/02/90)

In article <4e5299e0.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM
(Steve Rehrauer) writes:

>This isn't intended as a flame, but I'd swear I heard of a rumorware
>ST transputer hang-on as long ago as 1987.

Kuma brought out such a gadget, and there were various magazine
reviews about it and netters who discussed it. That's a bit more than
a rumor. Probably didn't sell that many, though, as the Transputer
isn't that impressive, IMHO.

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/02/90)

(Jas) writes:

>    I recently posted an article regarding a proposed transputer add-on
for the
> ST, and asked if anyone wanted further details. Enough people have
replied for
> me to post the rest, so here it is.
>   Before I start though, I want to stress that this add-on DOES NOT
yet exist,
> and may never do, it could just be vapourware but I'm going to pass it
on
> anyway as it sounds pretty interesting. All this info comes from the
Dec.1990
> issue of ST Format.
>
>   Atari are supposedly working on an ST-based transputer workstation
"at a
> price observers believe is simply astonishing". Full tech.spec. is a
long way
> off, but it is likely to attach by the DMA socket and enable the ST to
run at
> 15-20 MIPS, compared to the ST's 1 MIPS.
>   The price is supposed to be about 300-400 pounds, making it an
incredibly
> attractive sounding graphics workstation.
>   It is NOT just a rehashed ATW, it is a completely separate project.
>   Andy Leaning of Silica (major U.K. ST dealers) is quoted as saying
that the
> unit is "bobbing around on the horizon", but "nothing official".
>
>   That's about the face of it - if you want to read it with a pinch of
> salt, that's probably a good idea, but it does sound VERY interesting.
And
> they are talking about a summer 1991 release...
This was done some time back by a company called Triangle if i
remember, and you could add extra Inmos T800, to get more mips
but you still get the limmited ST's screen resolutions, if it was
worth while the othere add on would still be here, i do have a Magazine
with the Triangle unit in, plus i think a review, will post if wanted..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...