[comp.sys.atari.st] .tny pictures

burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) (12/02/90)

   Can someone tell me what a .tny picture file is (i.e. how it is different
from a .gif file).

   Where can I find .tny files?

  &y Burnett   |  burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu  |

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/02/90)

burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:

-   Can someone tell me what a .tny picture file is (i.e. how it is
- different from a .gif file).

A .TNY file is a compressed Degas or Neochrome picture.

- Where can I find .tny files?

Usually anywhere.  Atari.archive may have a few.  They are only
16 colors, so they're not as popular as Spectrum 512 pics.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec02.002110.732@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) writes:
>
>-   Can someone tell me what a .tny picture file is (i.e. how it is
>- different from a .gif file).
>
>A .TNY file is a compressed Degas or Neochrome picture.

Not precisely, although the .TNY format is, like Degas and Neo, specific
to the ST.  The Tiny format was invented by David Mumper several years
ago.  The compression algorithm is especially suited to the interleaved
bitplanes of the ST's screen memory, so Tiny format pictures are much
smaller than their uncompressed and Degas-compressed counterparts.

For a detailed description of the Tiny format, consult the Picture
Formats List, posted here periodically and archived at atari.archive.umich.edu
in atari/graphics/picfmts.doc.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net