[comp.sys.atari.st] Archive sites

pete@utgpu.UUCP (04/17/87)

	Hi Everyone.

	Our site has just become a Full Fledged BitNet node. I was wondering
whether there exists an archive site on BitNet for public domain software
along the same lines as macserve@pucc for the macintosh?

					Thanks,
					Pete Santangeli

					pete@utgpu.UUCP
					pete@utorgpu.bitnet

rastroobossc@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Rick Stroobosscher) (01/30/89)

I, and perhaps many others, am interested in looking at software for the Atari ST that resides on remote file servers.
I am familiar with a file server that is maintained at the University of Michigan.  Its 'ftp' address is 35.1.1.43 .
Could we as a newsgroup compile a listing of all file servers and mail servers that serve to distribute Atari ST software?
Is this information already available elsewhere?

Richard Stroobosscher
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario

guy@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Guy Metcalfe) (01/31/89)

In no particular order these are arpanet addresses of some places from which
I've gotten software or which maintain public archives for one of the
computers I use.  Actually a culled list of only the Atari sites.

Common name	official name			comments
-----------	-------------			--------

killer		ssyx.ucsc.edu			pub/atari (128.114.133.1)
softvax		radc-softvax.arpa		atari16
michigan	him1.cc.umich.edu		atari (35.1.1.43) cd pc7:

--
	Guy Metcalfe
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	gpm@phy.duke.edu

allegro@sunpix.UUCP ( SunVis) (07/22/89)

 Does anyone have a list of ST archive sites? if so could you E-mail
or post the addresses?
                                          thanks
--
uucp: mcnc!rti!sunpix!steve or mcnc!rti!sunpix!allegro |  Stephen McKay Matson
             "FRODO LIVES!!"                           |

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (11/09/89)

Tad Guy expressed an unwillingness for xanth to be 'just another' archive site
for Atari ST stuff.  There exist several unique niches to be filled.  What
exists now is an 'automatic' archive of comp.sources/binaries.atari.st at
panarthea which is very well connected, but operates only in mail-response
mode, and an ftp-only archive with greater coverage, but in which article names
are not guaranteed to match those given by the moderator, at terminator.  The
obvious unfilled niches are an 'automatic' archive reachable through ftp
and a mail-response archive containing the large and/or obscure items now
available only from terminator.  The uucp and mail-response archive that
used to exist on killer seems to have been phased out on attctc (but if you
haven't checked them lately, do so: other parts of their collection have
expanded wonderfully).  Another empty niche is a BBS with an explicit connection
to the ST newsgroups (the IBM PC newsgroups have something like that).  And
however guilty I feel to say it, I'm not volunteering to set up any of these,
but there are the opportunities to be a unique resource.
                                    Steve J.

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov8.234846.1453@chinet.chi.il.us>,
     saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes ...

>           ... Another empty niche is a BBS with an explicit connection
>to the ST newsgroups (the IBM PC newsgroups have something like that).

Steve, I'm not sure what you mean by "explicit connection." There are a
number of public-access Unix sites that carry comp.sys.atari.st, as well
as several STadel and Citadel BBSes that carry it. Among the latter are
MAST and Class68 in Minnesota, BRASS in upstate New York, The Land in
Ohio, Cerebral Cortex in Nova Scotia (I think) and Bitsko's Bar and Grill
in Utah. Several of the People-Net nodes also carry it. I think it also
may be available on Bix and therefore to the BBS systems that use the
Citadel-to-Bix relay program cooked up by Jefferson Software.

The comp.binaries and comp.sources groups are another matter. I currently
am feeding both to MAST, but it's a manual process. (My rnews is not yet
smart enough to do the job.) Some of the BBSes may get them directly, but
I don't know which ones.

(Jim Kershner, can you elaborate on that?)

   -- Steve Yelvington, up at the lake in Minnesota
  ... pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve             (UUCP)

In article <1989Nov8.234846.1453@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>Tad Guy expressed an unwillingness for xanth to be 'just another' archive site
>for Atari ST stuff.  There exist several unique niches to be filled.  What
>exists now is an 'automatic' archive of comp.sources/binaries.atari.st at
>panarthea which is very well connected, but operates only in mail-response
>mode, and an ftp-only archive with greater coverage, but in which article names
>are not guaranteed to match those given by the moderator, at terminator.  The

Well, in a couple of weeks, when I have time, the latter point will be
"fixed"... Symbolic links are wonderful stuff....
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

SML108@PSUVM.BITNET (11/10/89)

One question arises after learning of the nifty archive site at the University
of Dortmund.  Are there any other European Atari archive sites out there on
the net that stock stuff other than the Usenet archives.  It would be really
neat to get a direct link into the European P/D scene...  I speak fluent
German, so don't worry about language barriers...

Scott Le Grand aka SML108

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (12/03/90)

Could noble souls out there please email or post a list of
favorite Atari archive sites on the Internet?  My node has
a small site list so numeric addresses would help a *lot*
also.  Many thanks.

Thom
tcleland@ucsd.edu

--
----
Thom Cleland                      "It is easier