[comp.sys.atari.st] Talking about other computers here

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (12/01/90)

Hey wait a minute! Here we go again with someone trying to tell other
net posters what they can and cannot discuss on an open bboard... I
mean, come on, lighten up.

There *ARE* some things that have no business being mentioned on this
bboard, but other computers (vis-a-vis Ataris) should be a "sanctioned"
topic. After all, comparisons between computer systems are quite
relevant. A feature that proves to be highly successful on one may very
well show up on others.

For my $0.02, here's my opinions on a few non-Atari systems:

Amigas: cool, but pricey, and they could "disappear" like Ataris these days...
Macs: cool, although still pricey even after reductions. However, I
*KNOW* Apple will be around for quite a while... I want my customer
support!
NExts: veddy veddy cool, veddy pricey, and totally nonstandard. An experiment.
IBMs: clunky and not very user-friendly. However, they *ARE* expandable.
Timex-Sinclair 1000s: make good doorstops
...etc. *AND THESE ARE RELEVANT, FOLKS* (Well, sorta.)

If Atari *FINALLY* comes out with the TT (I have yet to see one for
sale), and it costs <$2000 (actually, I'd like even less, but...) and if
it's accepted, and if Atari gets its marketing/support act together,
then all I will talk about is Ataris. Their recent marketing waffles
leave me wanting, however.

|\    /|
|  \/  |  ike Greelish
Carnegie Mellon U. undergrad
quote: "The truth hits everybody" ---The Police, 1978
stupid disclaimer: My opinions are dictated to me by a 23 year old
telepathic Chilean aardvark living in my closet.

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/02/90)

In article <obJkBny00Uh7E4o1Qt@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>Hey wait a minute! Here we go again with someone trying to tell other
>net posters what they can and cannot discuss on an open bboard... I
>mean, come on, lighten up.

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying that I've seen lots of
flamewars in the past, and I haven't seen much of anything productive
out of them. Stick around for a few years and see if you agree with
me. Or go take a look in the Amiga and NeXT groups if you'd like to
see a real live flamewar in action. When 80% of the postings are about
something most people aren't interested in, the group dies for a
while.

If I want to learn about other machines, I read their group or I go
see one in person.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/03/90)

Michel Paul Greelish mentions:
>If Atari *FINALLY* comes out with the TT (I have yet to see one for
>sale), and it costs <$2000 (actually, I'd like even less, but...)  ...

After promises from Atari of the TT being available for sale to coincide
with COMDEX, the new word is "after the first of the year"...

Is this Deja Vu, or is there an echo in here..?

BobR

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/03/90)

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

- After promises from Atari of the TT being available for sale to
- coincide with COMDEX, the new word is "after the first of the
- year"...
-
- Is this Deja Vu, or is there an echo in here..?

And the reason is FCC approval. :^D  Talk about deja vu.  From what I
understand, they can't even get Class B.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec02.215601.7327@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>
>- After promises from Atari of the TT being available for sale to
>- coincide with COMDEX, the new word is "after the first of the
>- year"...
>-
>- Is this Deja Vu, or is there an echo in here..?
>
>And the reason is FCC approval. :^D  Talk about deja vu.  From what I
>understand, they can't even get Class B.

This is a load of crap.  Atari is always screaming about the FCC this,
the FCC that....FCC guidelines are published and most other manufacturers
seem to met them in a reasonable fashion.  Perhaps, people should start
pointing the finger at the "engineers" who design Atari's products.
This is what happens when you try to cut corners and then try to
retro-fit the sheilding problem later on when you get busted.

Regards,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.153120.27313@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Dec02.215601.7327@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>>And the reason is FCC approval. :^D  Talk about deja vu.  From what I
>>understand, they can't even get Class B.
>
>This is a load of crap.  Atari is always screaming about the FCC this,
>the FCC that....FCC guidelines are published and most other manufacturers
>seem to met them in a reasonable fashion.  Perhaps, people should start
>pointing the finger at the "engineers" who design Atari's products.
>This is what happens when you try to cut corners and then try to
>retro-fit the sheilding problem later on when you get busted.
>
>Regards,
>
>Chris

That's not entirely true.  This past summer, I worked for CalComp, and one
of my responsibilities was some EMI testing.  The VDE (German equivalent of
the FCC) and the FCC have very similar requirements for radio frequency
emissions testing (the levels are different, but so are the distances from
which they are measured).  The big difference is that the VDE is self-
ceritfying, that is, if a VDE certified testing lab says you pass the limits
with a certain margin, you can get automatic approval.  The FCC, on the other
hand, still requires that you submit results from a certified lab, but then
they make you fill out some paperwork which takes approximately 3 months to
process.  You don't know if they will decide to check your results until they
process the paper.  Then it can take an indefinite period of time for them
complete their own testing before giving you FCC certification.  It is entirely
possible that Atari didn't do anything at all wrong (or even questionable) this
time, but given their track record, the FCC decided they'd be a good company
to spot check.  It might also be that the lab they used is being spot-checked.

I believe that Atari met the FCC guidelines for the TT and was just waiting
for the paperwork which _should_ have come back before Comdex.  This is just a
guess, though.  Undoubtedly, the TT is shipping in Germany and the rest of
Europe because it has VDE approval.  Let's give Atari the benefit of the doubt
on this one.

		--Steve

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.173941.29280@cs.ucla.edu> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
>In article <1990Dec3.153120.27313@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>>In article <1990Dec02.215601.7327@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>>>And the reason is FCC approval. :^D  Talk about deja vu.  From what I
>>>understand, they can't even get Class B.
>>
>>This is a load of crap.  Atari is always screaming about the FCC this,
>>the FCC that....FCC guidelines are published and most other manufacturers
>>seem to met them in a reasonable fashion.  Perhaps, people should start
>>pointing the finger at the "engineers" who design Atari's products.
>>This is what happens when you try to cut corners and then try to
>>retro-fit the sheilding problem later on when you get busted.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Chris
>
>That's not entirely true.

I didn't mean my point of view to be considered "entirely true."  I am
just pointing out that Atari has pulled the FCC-is-holding-us-up stunt
so many times in the past that maybe (just maybe) the fault lies at
Atari.  How many times can you tell your teacher that your dog ate your
homework without finally taking the blame for not doing it? :-)

Besides, even the stuff that did pass must've been marginal.  My old
1040ST used to create snow on any TV I was watching in the same room.
Of course, matters didn't get much better when I removed the RF shielding
to make room for my RAM expansion board. :-)

>This past summer, I worked for CalComp, and one
>of my responsibilities was some EMI testing.  The VDE (German equivalent of
>the FCC) and the FCC have very similar requirements for radio frequency
>emissions testing (the levels are different, but so are the distances from
>which they are measured).  The big difference is that the VDE is self-
>ceritfying, that is, if a VDE certified testing lab says you pass the limits
>with a certain margin, you can get automatic approval.  The FCC, on the other
>hand, still requires that you submit results from a certified lab, but then
>they make you fill out some paperwork which takes approximately 3 months to
>process.  You don't know if they will decide to check your results until they
>process the paper.  Then it can take an indefinite period of time for them
>complete their own testing before giving you FCC certification.  It is entirely
>possible that Atari didn't do anything at all wrong (or even questionable) this
>time, but given their track record, the FCC decided they'd be a good company
>to spot check.  It might also be that the lab they used is being spot-checked.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that German RF/EMI leakage standards were
tougher than those set by the FCC.  That is what always boggled me about
Atari's griping about the FCC.  You'd figure that a company who gears its
products for the German/European market would use their stricter standards
when designing their products.

>I believe that Atari met the FCC guidelines for the TT and was just waiting
>for the paperwork which _should_ have come back before Comdex.  This is just a
>guess, though.  Undoubtedly, the TT is shipping in Germany and the rest of
>Europe because it has VDE approval.  Let's give Atari the benefit of the doubt
>on this one.

Gee, seems like there are those that always want to give them another
inch of rope. :-)

>		--Steve

Cheers,

chris
------------------------------+---------------------------

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/04/90)

Then cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

- Gee, seems like there are those that always want to give them another
- inch of rope. :-)

Hmmm, I thought we cut yours off a while ago.

;^D

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (12/05/90)

On Fidonet, the first commandment is "Thou shalt not be excessively
annoying."  I'd like to suggest using the same standard here on usenet.
Chris Mauritz only seems to post stuff saying "Atari is lousy.
I told you years ago that Atari is lousy.  Anyone who disagrees is silly".
(He used to claim to be a financial expert until he publicly failed to notice
that Jack Tramiel should be considered an Atari 'insider').  I say enough is
enough.  He's getting not just annoying, but excessively annoying.  As of the
next dumb, provocative, insulting message I'm mailing to postmasters
between him and me asking them to cut him off.  I suggest other people might
consider doing the same.  Note that he's the only person posting to this
group that I'd say that about.
                                   Steve J.

hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca () (12/05/90)

 I decided to buy an Amiga and upgrade my ST to the STE! This way I get
the best of both worlds! But what really dissapoints me is when TAF decide
it wont host an annual Computer Show! Now whats even more discouraging is
when Atari Canada cant even put on a show like the WOC show this past weekend
I cant believe Atari isnt supporting one show in CANADA for the year! I cant
believe Commodore is outdoing atari when I know the ST is a better computer
Its time we call a few numbers and let ATARI hear their one liners have
to turn into action or I for one can convert 250megs of ST files into
Amiga files real fast

 Hardware Dave one of the Die hard Atarians