[comp.sys.atari.st] TT's

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/04/90)

Don't forget TT's are already on sale elsewhere (a little expensive though)!

Enjoy,

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/04/90)

In article <RALPH.90Dec3173300@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr writes:
>Don't forget TT's are already on sale elsewhere (a little expensive though)!

Realy???  How much?

Just to piss glh off...I saw a demo of the new NextStation today.  Someone
earlier mentioned that the windowing system was very slow.  That doesn't
seem to be a problem.  Seems that when you throw a 25mhz 68040 at the GUI,
it seems fine.  I didn't notice any slowness.  However, the machine wasn't
running THAT many tasks at the time either.  The educational pricing makes
the thing so cheap that you could throw in the NeXt 400dpi laser printer
too and have a very nice unix system with scads of included software at ~$4500.

>Enjoy,

OK, working on it. :-)

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (12/04/90)

From article <1990Dec3.200650.25435@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz):
> In article <RALPH.90Dec3173300@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr writes:
>>Don't forget TT's are already on sale elsewhere (a little expensive though)!
>

> Realy???  How much?
>
> Just to piss glh off...I saw a demo of the new NextStation today.  Someone
> earlier mentioned that the windowing system was very slow.  That doesn't
> seem to be a problem.  Seems that when you throw a 25mhz 68040 at the GUI,
> it seems fine.  I didn't notice any slowness.  However, the machine wasn't
> running THAT many tasks at the time either.  The educational pricing makes
> the thing so cheap that you could throw in the NeXt 400dpi laser printer
> too and have a very nice unix system with scads of included software at ~$4500.

Just to continue this non-ST discussion....
Please explain your $4500 price.  Someone posted the NextStation educational
prices a couple days ago.  I believe a usable system came in around $5000
for mono and $6500 for color - and that is without the 400 dpi printer you
mention.

>>Enjoy,

Enjoy.

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than
+-------------------------------------+

mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) (12/05/90)

>Besides, even the stuff that did pass must've been marginal.  My old
>1040ST used to create snow on any TV I was watching in the same room.
>Of course, matters didn't get much better when I removed the RF shielding
>to make room for my RAM expansion board. :-)

My favorite was always Emacs, which, when run from within Forthmacs, generated
noise on my AM radio.  I'd be working away, listening to the ballgame, but as
soon as I netered Emacs, I got static.  Not on disk access, mind you.  The
character read loop apparently went through exactly the right instruction
sequence to generate noise at just the right frequency to interrupt KSFO.

sytang@boulder.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) (12/05/90)

 The mono Nextstation's Educational price various from $2995 to $3995 dependent
on the individual school's willing to sign with NeXT. So the preious $4995
for a mono NeXTstation with 400DPI laser printer is not unreasonable.
The price you quote is not educational discount price.
 Tang
 Colorado State University
 sytang@lamar.colostate.edu

leo@mat500.uucp (C. Bullerdick) (12/05/90)

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>Don't forget TT's are already on sale elsewhere (a little expensive though)!

"elswhere" may mean in 5 of the 10 computer-stores in a 5-km area round the
place where i am writing this. I'm shure that it's the same in nearly every
city in germany, and the TT is not as expensiv as it was right before yesterday.
>Enjoy,
Really, enjoy!

>--
>Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
>ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.
>ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!laas!ralph
>If all else fails, try:				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
>Reliable software should kill people reliably! -Andy Mickel, Pascal News #13,78

C. "Leo" B.

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) (12/05/90)

In article <7340043@hpfcso.HP.COM> mjs@hpfcso.HP.COM (Marc Sabatella) writes:
>My favorite was always Emacs, which, when run from within Forthmacs, generated
>noise on my AM radio.  I'd be working away, listening to the ballgame, but as
>soon as I netered Emacs, I got static.  Not on disk access, mind you.  The
>character read loop apparently went through exactly the right instruction
>sequence to generate noise at just the right frequency to interrupt KSFO.

My supercharger causes lots of interference with my cordless phone. There's
a little red "data" light which goes on every time my screen's contents are
changed (i.e. every time a character is written to a screen, or whatever).

So I have a corner clock on my computer, and the time changes every second.
If I'm on the phone, I hear high-pitched little beeps which last a
milisecond or so, almost as if a radar is scanning me or something. First
time this happened, I didn't know WHAT to do..

what's really fun though is when I am on the phone, and my idle screen
saver kicks in. All of a sudden the screen is filled with fireworks, and
every time a pixel is written to the screen, "blip"...

Actually, the blips in a strange way make the fireworks more interesting.
One time I was talking to someone, heard the noise and saw my screen, and
just stopped talking in mid sentence....

hello?

hello?

the person on the other end just heard some weird sounds, and almost hung
up on me....

--
|S. Alan Ezust                                |  depeche@cs.mcgill.ca       |
|McGill University School of Computer Science |  Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec3.200650.25435@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

|    In article <RALPH.90Dec3173300@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr
| writes: >Don't forget TT's are already on sale elsewhere (a little
| expensive though)!
|
|    Realy???  How much?

List price starts at around 16000 FF.