[comp.sys.atari.st] Autobooting in low rez with Superboot

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (12/04/90)

I've been unable to make the autoboot feature of Superboot 6.0 with TOS 1.4
work properly - anyone know if this is a TOS limitation? It works in medium
rez, and in low rez DESKTOP.INF does have the filename I want to autoboot,
it just doesn't do it. Any ideas?

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (12/05/90)

In comp.sys.atari.st, bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>I've been unable to make the autoboot feature of Superboot 6.0 with TOS 1.4
>work properly - anyone know if this is a TOS limitation? It works in medium
>rez, and in low rez DESKTOP.INF does have the filename I want to autoboot,
>it just doesn't do it. Any ideas?

I don't have a problem...often.  Seems like I do have an occasional
problem, but but have always blamed it on TOS (1.4).  Of course, I
never bothered to look into in much.  It's not repeatable.  Hit reset,
hold <alt> (so no files are changed), occasionally repeat again, and
it comes up fine.

I just don't use low res often enough to worry about it, but I'm
giving you my experience.

-Bob

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/05/90)

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:

- I've been unable to make the autoboot feature of Superboot 6.0 with
- TOS 1.4 work properly - anyone know if this is a TOS limitation? It
- works in medium rez, and in low rez DESKTOP.INF does have the
- filename I want to autoboot, it just doesn't do it. Any ideas?

I had problems with this at first too with both resolutions; perhaps
this may clear things up though.  (I'm assuming that TOS 1.4
and 1.6 write and read DESKTOP.INF *identically* because I have 1.6.)
It seems that Superboot likes to write #Z 01 C:\AUTO\NEOLOAD.PRG@
(this is the line that tells Rainbow TOS which program to autoboot) at
the top of DESKTOP.INF instead of on the fourth line where the desktop
writes it when you 'save desktop.'  So to avoid the confusion, I
edited both med and low res DESKTOP.INF files so that the #Z line is
fourth.  Therefore, instead of Superboot writing the #Z line, it's
always there in DESKTOP.INF; if I don't want anything autobooted, I
just hit HELP and then F3 to disable the autoboot.

In short (what I should have said at the beginning :^), make sure
that the #Z line is the fourth one in DESKTOP.INF.  I hope this works.

BTW, I rarely save the desktop, even with NeoDesk's .INF files.  I
find it's easier to just edit the files in a text editor.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

gilliam@lowlif.dec.com (12/06/90)

In article <750097@hpsad.HP.COM>, bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) writes...
>In comp.sys.atari.st, bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>>I've been unable to make the autoboot feature of Superboot 6.0 with TOS 1.4
>>work properly - anyone know if this is a TOS limitation? It works in medium
>>rez, and in low rez DESKTOP.INF does have the filename I want to autoboot,
>>it just doesn't do it. Any ideas?

I have the same problem using Desk Manager 3.3. with TOS 1.4. Prior to that,
REZ.PRG wouldn't read the low rez desktop.inf. It did under TOS 1.0. I've been
too busy to check into it. It's repeatable.
---
Mason Gilliam
		(INTERNET,UUCP) gilliam@star.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!star.enet!gilliam